Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Same Sex Marriage a step to far?
Agree? 11 28.21%
Disagree? 7 17.95%
Live and let live? 8 20.51%
Stick to Civil Partnerships? 14 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 18:53   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Men were jailed in the eighties, when they were in consensual relationships, and one of them was nineteen, and the other happened to be twenty one.

The nineteen year old was considered a minor.

Even though he could have married a woman, without parental consent.
Thats what makes it such a nonsense
Old 05-03-2012, 18:58   #17
God Member

heres the way i see it

if you want to practice a religion and have a religous ceremony then you should adhere to that religions rules and not expect them rules to be changed so as to suit your needs.If you dont agree with your religion stop following it and persue a religion that is more of your taste.

i wont go into the old the bible says same sex relations are wrong or words indicating that is meant but the whole church thing is a complete joke because it now allows openly gay vicars,priests etc so these people have no right to stand up and preech a religion that they themselves are breaking the rules of.How can a gay man stand up and preech from his religions book which says man should not lay down with another man with a straight face( excuse the pun).

i hope that dosnt come accross that i am anti gay or homophobic but thats simply common sense to me that if you dont like a gangs rules then leave that gang and go start your own with rules you can live with and not expect other gangs to change rules to suit what you think is right.

also if i am homophobic im drinking in the wrong bars and need to have a re-think on who i call friends

personally i would do away with all religion and save a whole world of hassle but seen as we are on about partnerships i think people of any mix should be able to have the same legal rights etc i just dont think teh religious element needs to be addressed

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 05-03-2012 at 19:00.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:00   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think we've come a long way in the last 60 years, after all people were jailed for being homosexual in the fifties, until somebody saw a bit of sense and said hey hang on a minute here, we're jailing people for something they have no control over, as I've said before its not a lifestyle choice. To me if gays want to get hitched, carry on its live and let live
I came out as gay to my parents when I was seventeen, in 1982.

Well to be more precise.

At twenty past seven, on the evening of 7th of May, 1982.

I was lucky, unlike many others, and had wonderful, supportive, loving parents to help me come to terms with my nature, and my years of having to tell lies came to an end.

It didn't help our situation that I was seventeen, and unlike my friends, if I had a relationship, for the next four years, until I was twenty one, I could have faced criminal proceeedings. Which many at that time did.

I have two birthdays.

7th January, the day I came into the world.

7th May, the day I stoped lying about who I was, started living honestly, and became the person I am.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:01   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats what makes it such a nonsense
in ireland been gay used to be illigal and as punishment they would lock a man up with hundreds of other men ..

now thats nonsence lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 05-03-2012, 19:05   #20
God Member

All this hype about the virtues of matrimony/civil union lends me to think that the objective is to make it compulsory

It's just a legal contract that provides lawyers with income when you need to extricate yourself from it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:17   #21
Give, give, give member

To the very few people I've met who've been homophobic, I always try to explain that no one chooses their sexual orientation.

It's just part of who you are. Like your height, or if you're prone to fits of giddiness. You don't get a choice.

If they carry on being prejudiced, I go on to explain that all those puffters and lezzers, are someone's sons/daughters/garandsons/grandaughters/nephews and nieces.

Just one of them might be one of their loved ones.

If not now, maybe in the future.

After all, they're someone's.

Nature's funny like that.

Gays and lesbians don't make homosexuals. That's down to what straight people get up to, when they get jiggy.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:20   #22
God Member

Whatever your orientation you do grow out of it eventually - into celebacy
.....thankfully

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:27   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
All this hype about the virtues of matrimony/civil union lends me to think that the objective is to make it compulsory

It's just a legal contract that provides lawyers with income when you need to extricate yourself from it.
I knew you'd have something pithy to say, and make me laugh.

Cheers.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:29   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Whatever your orientation you do grow out of it eventually - into celebacy
.....thankfully

Quite agree.

Any need for coupling is a weakness.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:32   #25

My wifes nephew is Gay, he was getting married to his partner and of course we got an invite to the wedding.
The ceremony and reception was in an old country manor, a perfect setting for a marriage.

The Registrar carried out all the formalities and ended by saying they were now offically married and would they like to give each other a kiss.

The two men faced each other and then gave one of the sloppiest, full on the lips kisses you've ever seen.

It was gruesome! I managed to watch for about 3 secs but had to look away.
The rest of the day and evening went ok, apart from the kissing.

Same Sex Marriages? No, I don't agree
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:45   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
My wifes nephew is Gay, he was getting married to his partner and of course we got an invite to the wedding.
The ceremony and reception was in an old country manor, a perfect setting for a marriage.

The Registrar carried out all the formalities and ended by saying they were now offically married and would they like to give each other a kiss.

The two men faced each other and then gave one of the sloppiest, full on the lips kisses you've ever seen.

It was gruesome! I managed to watch for about 3 secs but had to look away.
The rest of the day and evening went ok, apart from the kissing.

Same Sex Marriages? No, I don't agree
Any overt, public displays of affection like that is in bad taste, in my book.

Regardless of whether the tonsil tickling participants had innie or outies.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:51   #27
God Member

Quote:

i think that is the only time where it is appropiate to swap spit in public but i guess the amount of time allocated is a matter of taste...

if you can taste the other persons breakfast then the kiss has gone on too long for example

Old 05-03-2012, 19:56   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Yes, well so called normal weddings can be terrible espescially if you walk into the cloakroom and find the bridegroom being over-affectionate towards the maid of honour, you can't even suggest they get a room, you know he has the Honeymoon suite booked for later.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:20   #29
Beacon of light

I really do not care about what sexual orientation someone is.
And if they want to have some sort of religious ceremony, then that is fine by me.
What I do not agree with, is the wording of the draft bill which will change the denomination 'Husband and Wife' to 'Parties in Marriage' .
This is something that Stonewall is seeking for same sex marriages, because obviously there isn't (strictly speaking) a husband and wife.
They want to change something traditional, to the detriment of the many, for the benefit of the few.
Leave the husband and wife names as they are for heterosexual marriage, but allow same sex partnerships to assume the new format if they wish.
My husband is my husband...he is not a party in marriage.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:31   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My husband is my husband...he is not a party in marriage.
Nah, your right, most husbands would be found in the kitchen at parties, thats where the fridge with the beer is.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..