Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Same Sex Marriage a step to far?
Agree? 11 28.21%
Disagree? 7 17.95%
Live and let live? 8 20.51%
Stick to Civil Partnerships? 14 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2013, 20:01   #361
JCB

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
This thread at the moment has 24 pages and has been going for over a year. I don't know if anyone has quoted the Bible verbatim but some people have said they do not approve of single sex marriages because the Bible forbids them. .
I don't think you will find any of that on this thread .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2013, 20:15   #362
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I don't think you will find any of that on this thread .
Have a look around pages 19 or so.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:41   #363
JCB

Quote:
Have a look around pages 19 or so.
Yes , I've just read them . But the point I was trying to make was that no-one on this thread has used anything from the Bible to support their views against same sex "marriages" .

In fact , and do correct me if I am mistaken , the Bible says nothing about same sex "marriages" .
Old 20-03-2013, 20:50   #364
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

In fact , and do correct me if I am mistaken , the Bible says nothing about same sex "marriages" .
You're right. There was no such thing when the Bible was written.
In fact, there was no such thing in the UK until 5th Feb.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:31   #365
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
You're right. There was no such thing when the Bible was written.
In fact, there was no such thing in the UK until 5th Feb.
Thanks . And your post may help to lead to a clarification of some of the opinions expressed on this thread .

No-one on this thread has expressed a view attacking homosexuality .

However , some have expressed views opposing the term "same sex marriages" which does not mean that they are opposing homosexuality .

We have various types of civil partnership , the most common being marriage , which is a civil partnership between a man and a woman .

There are laws to protect marriage . I cannot marry my sister . That would be incest which is illegal .
I cannot marry the wife of my next-door neighbour's husband . That would be bigamy which is illegal .

Then we have the civil partnership between a man and a man , or between a woman and a woman . Such a partnership is not a marriage because by its very definition marriage is between male and female .

Now I am not prepared to let politicians come along and tell me what I have to believe about marriage . Marriage is a covenant between members of the opposite sex . Mr Cameron you can turn but this man is not for turning .

So we have the civil parnership between man and woman which is marriage .
Then we have the civil partnership between same sex couples which of its nature cannot be marriage .

The politicians can change the laws as they please . Why they could not have stayed with civil partnerships is beyond me . If they had wanted a new phrase to use for same sex relationships , surely they could have come up with a better term than "marriage" . Something like "same sex covenants" should have sufficed .

I don't intend to post any more on this thread because I have made myself clear .

Marriage is between a man and a woman , so there can be no such thing as same sex marriages .

Civil partnerships are of various kinds , one being same sex civil partnerships with which I have no problem .

Finito ! And thanks to all who have discussed the issue with me , even though we may disagree .

Last edited by JCB; 21-03-2013 at 07:38.
Old 21-03-2013, 07:38   #366
God Member

I will only be concerned when they make marriage compulsory.
Eric likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:20   #367
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
so would I
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 11:13   #368
Resting In Peace

The BBC website has a series of Q&A about same sex marriage. The two copied below might help to clarify the debate. There is a feeling that same sex partnerships do not go the whole way to define a relationship, which is why campaigners want there to be the possibility of marriage as well.

How does same-sex marriage differ from civil partnership?
Civil partnership is a legal relationship exclusively for same-sex couples, distinct from marriage.
It offers the same legal treatment as marriage across a range of matters, such as inheritance, pensions provision, life assurance, child maintenance, next of kin and immigration rights.
Opposite-sex couples can opt for a religious or civil marriage ceremony, whereas a same-sex partnership is an exclusively civil procedure.
Couples in civil partnerships will be able to convert their relationships into marriages if they wish - but they will be under no obligation to do so if they would rather retain their civil partnership.

Why do campaigners want same-sex marriage?
Supporters cite a number of reasons for wanting gay marriage, including that separate civil partnerships perpetuate the notion that same-sex relationships are not as valid as heterosexual ones and that legal rights are still not exactly the same as those conferred by marriage.
Campaigners also say there would be international recognition for same-sex marriage. They say there is no universally-accepted recognition of civil partnerships and they differ widely from one country to the next.
Old 21-03-2013, 11:34   #369
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It will be a formal wedding: White shotguns, with the ceremony held in Winchester Cathedral
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 17:25   #370
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:

How does same-sex marriage differ from civil partnership?

It offers the same legal treatment as marriage across a range of matters, such as inheritance, pensions provision, life assurance, child maintenance, next of kin and immigration rights.

So what's the problem ?

Why do campaigners want same-sex marriage?

and that legal rights are still not exactly the same as those conferred by marriage.

So the above doesn't count ?

Campaigners also say there would be international recognition for same-sex marriage.
As to the last sentence, absolute fallacy ! Really, so if they wave their prod permit (saying married) in front of the Saudis, some of the African nations or even certain states in the good ol' U.S of A, everything will be just hunky dory ? I don't think so some how.
Old 21-03-2013, 18:00   #371
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Campaigners also say there would be international recognition for same-sex marriage.
All i can say to that, is campaigners talk utter balls.
Old 21-03-2013, 18:37   #372
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
All i can say to that, is campaigners talk utter balls.
Most probably, considering the subject matter.
Old 22-03-2013, 06:02   #373
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
As to the last sentence, absolute fallacy ! Really, so if they wave their prod permit (saying married) in front of the Saudis, some of the African nations or even certain states in the good ol' U.S of A, everything will be just hunky dory ? I don't think so some how.
Defintely not in Saudi and some of the other Gulf States - including Iran. Homosexuality is against the law (Sharia) in quite a number of Muslim countries

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..