Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Same Sex Marriage a step to far?
Agree? 11 28.21%
Disagree? 7 17.95%
Live and let live? 8 20.51%
Stick to Civil Partnerships? 14 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2012, 18:09   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not homophobic, but I can't see why marriage is necessary(especially seeing as it won't be in church)....and why the terms of referenece to married couples should be changed to accommodate homosexuals. I do not wish to be reffered to as 'a party to/in marriage'.........this may seem like a small thing, but to many people(like myself) it is important.
Those who are in a same sex relationship, and have gone through a civil ceremony have the weight of the law on their side already.....they have equality with heterosexual couples.......I don't understand what is to be achieved by this change (which, by the way will cost businesses and governments loads of money - all forms which refer to husband and wife will have to be changed, websites etc).

I really do not care about someones sexual orientation. I would have thought that the government have far more weighty issues to deal with, which should take priority over this.
Lynn Featherstone, it seems has already made her decisions...despite the fact there is supposed to consultation taking place....now in my book, consultation means that there is an element of listening to both sides of an argument and coming to some sort of compromise.........it is worrying that this can be done in such a manner....it leads me to think that there are other issues which could also be dealt with in a similar way...and if t hat doesn't worry you - then it should.

These are elected representatives who are supposed to listen to those who put them in power.
I agree with you Margaret - why should we consign to history the term "husband and wife" just for a small minority of homo-sexuals who want to be "married"! Why do we have to satisfy the minority all the time! It's PC gone bonkers!

I thought marriage was based on sex, that a pair come together to have children - gays can't naturally have children so why should they have the privelage of a marriage in the true sense of the word.

Life is not equal! Tell Cameron if he wants equality to share out his millions!

Last edited by kestrelx; 16-03-2012 at 18:17.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2012, 20:04   #92
Beacon of light

Oh, and when the homophobic /racist/sexist/ ageist tag is levelled at something, it is just to stifle healthy debate. A diversionary tactic.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:18   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Marriage in society has always implicated a sense of kinship = procreation.
Not all married couples have children, for various reasons, but perhaps this is the final knot that needs unravelling - same sex couples do not naturally produce the next generation.
I have nothing against adoption by same sex couples but i think this is what actually blocks a lot of people into seeing these legal (ie marrige) unions as equal to heterosexual marriages.

Just trying to put into words how i see where most prejudice comes from...
I think Kestrel-X is confusing sex and pro-creation -they are two quite different things.

Wrote the above earlier in this thread - forgot to add that same-sex couples can have children -though not by the traditional methods.
They either find a partner/friend who is willing to help them naturally or go through the "test-tube" route with a donor.

I'm sure most people will have no problem with this for heterosexual couples with problems...(I know several who have had lovely children this way, including a cousin of mine who had twins). So why not for same sex couples?

At the end of the day the most successful marriage is always a marriage of minds.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 16-03-2012 at 20:21.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:39   #94
Beacon of light

I really don't care what same sex couples do...whatever floats theeir boat....what i do not agree with is the ditching of the traditional terms 'husband and wife' in favour of 'parties in/to marriage'........I abhor being called a 'partner'........or for that matter 'spouse'.......this government is wanting to change the traditional terms so they do not offend or upset same sex couples.......after all what other reason would they have for instigating such a change?
Since the inception of civil ceremonies, same sex couples have had the same legal protection as heterosexual couples(as long as they have availed themselves of the civil ceremony).....so why is marriage seen as a necessity?
I'm also perturbed that there is supposed to be consultation, but the MP Lynn Featherstone has said, that it isn't if these changes go ahead, but how.....no matter how many people protest.

Now I don't know about you, but this sounds like a done deal, just waiting for a rubber stamp.
I thought consultation meant the exchange of ideas, listening to both sides of an argument before making any decisions.

These changes will have financial implications on businesses of all kinds as well as goverment departments.
Old 16-03-2012, 20:58   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx;978248I
thought marriage was based on sex, that a pair come together to have children !
So talk us through the process where the man has had a vasectomy and he marries a woman with a hysterectomy.

Any sexual contact is presumably an abomination?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:13   #96
Beacon of light

A church wedding ceremony for people who are too old to procreate is a bit different in the wording.
Old 16-03-2012, 21:20   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I abhor being called a 'partner'........or for that matter 'spouse'
You're just a funny sod, anyway.

When it comes to what names you're called.

As with your similar abhorrence to being called the 'G' word, by the children of your offspring.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:26   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
A church wedding ceremony for people who are too old to procreate is a bit different in the wording.
Sounds like the starting point for discussions about gay church weddings, Margaret!

One of the things that irritates me about the TV presentation of gay weddings is their depiction of spectacularly camp and nauseating gay couples emerging from registry offices in matching pink suits, or in the case of lesbans, looking like extras from Prisoner Cell Block H.

What about couples like my brother and his partner who did it with no fuss or bother?

Last edited by gynn; 16-03-2012 at 21:29.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:29   #99
God Member

Better still - why bother - nowt wrong with 'over t'brush' if you make wills and have the house in joint names.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:32   #100
Beacon of light

Yes G....I know......I am. It is part of the pernicketiness that comes with age and experience. It's alright, one day it might come to you too ( I hope it does, because it will mean you lived long enough to be an old burger - no bun...just a burger)

I was called to school during the week to pick up Spindles, who was not very well.......the School secretary called his name and said 'Your G word is here to take you home'.......if looks could have killed, she would be being buried next week.

I will be telling her the next time I see her, not to use that word in reference to me....ever again.....and the only reason I didn't tell her at the time, was because the lad looked a bit green round the gills, like his lunch was looking for the emergency exit.
Old 16-03-2012, 21:35   #101
God Member

I get called 'Nanna' and find it quite nice and 'affectionate sounding'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:35   #102
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Sounds like the starting point for discussions about gay church weddings, Margaret!
I somehow think that there might be quite a fair bit of opposition to that from the clergy.
Old 16-03-2012, 21:39   #103
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Nope...not for me Margaret. I never had being a G thing, on my bucket list.
It wasn't something I looked forward to or aspired to...in fact it was a bit of a shock to my system
Both of the tinlids call me by my first name and always have done......I will never answer to the G word....ever!
Old 16-03-2012, 22:21   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Nowt wrong wi that at all, I get called Grandad n am quite pleased n proud to be called so.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:27   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nowt wrong wi that at all, I get called Grandad n am quite pleased n proud to be called so.
Me too cashy, was a bit miffed when I was only 42 though

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..