Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By MoreJoe
  • 6 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 2 Post By accybeme
  • 2 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 20:16   #1

Say Goodbye to MAD Magazine

There goes another piece of my off center youth.
I remember in the early 60's when MAD Magazine first showed up on our shores.
Reading Edition Number 1 with my friends and roaring laughing at the way the conventions of the day were twisted, lampooned and skewered. We then scoured the shops looking for more. I think I ended up owning editions one through eight which I had to keep hidden from my parents and today, could be worth a pretty penny.
Later in life I was in sales in New York City and got to call on the publisher William M. Gaines. I found the office in a laughing uproar with almost everybody stumbling around half in the bag. I then found out that Gaines himself had replaced the water in the water cooler with White Wine.
Now they have announced that this next edition of MAD will be the last.
How sad!
From here on there will only be reprints and the occasional Christmas Special.
One small win for the Politically Correct.
One large loss for those with a sense of humor.
Sincerely,
MoreJoe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2019, 09:03   #2
God Member

Re: Say Goodbye to MAD Magazine

Loved MAD and all it offered when I was a teenager. Can remember not being able to walk home from school for laughing at Don Martin’s cartoons.
Not surprised, though, that an anti-establishment rag like MAD can no longer survive in this current world. It requires an audience that knows how to think, not one that, after decades of education, education, education, knows simply what to think.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:11   #3
Senior Member+

good in it's day but now we have the house of commons
KiTChener and cashman like this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 17:21   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
good in it's day but now we have the house of commons
Aye, but with that lot the joke’s on us.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..