Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 20:35   #31
Beacon of light

Re: School Beards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Says a lot on the day after a jury convicted an alchoholic mother of eight of manslaughter. The poor mite dying in unimaginable squalor and being found mummified years later.
Hutton was the daughter of a nurse came from a middleclass background and herself had been a care assistant. Professionals (not my description) who visited the house noted no concerns about the other children despite their untreated head lice, fungal infections and signs of frostbite like damage on their toes.
Then again there's already a thread "Tragic Human Failure"
Well, if you had wanted to start a thread on that case, what stopped you?
Or you could have tagged into the thread on human failure...had you wanted to.
It was you who conceded that Less was right about a slow day in the newsroom.......so are you now saying that you were wrong?

And what pray, has this womans background got to do with the case?
Is it your belief that only such things happen in the lower socio economic groups? Or that you have to be poor and underprivileged to be bad?

Bad people come from all walks of life....I'm sure you will also have read about the groups of men who groomed vulnerable girls in Bradford, Rochdale and Oxford.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2013, 20:56   #32
Senior Member+

If its school policy then its tough , off comes the bum fluff like it or lump it. Once again as many have said the race card is produced when something does not suit. That's why when it is waved with legitimate cause people still view it through narrowed eyes with a good dose of cynicism.
cashman and BERNADETTE like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 21:07   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
If its school policy then its tough , off comes the bum fluff like it or lump it. Once again as many have said the race card is produced when something does not suit. That's why when it is waved with legitimate cause people still view it through narrowed eyes with a good dose of cynicism.
Very true its worn a bit thin now wi many people i come into contact with n the Politicians are to dense to grasp the nettle.
BERNADETTE and walkinman221 like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 23:07   #34

if any faith can go to these schools then i am wondering with the boys only and girls only free muslim schools opening in Blackburn, are these forced to take in a percentage of other faiths?
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 23:28   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
From my reading of it only one relative of the boys has claimed they are victims of discrimination and doesn't want to be named.
The school principle says he spent some time researching the issue and speaking to Muslim elders.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:43   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
if any faith can go to these schools then i am wondering with the boys only and girls only free muslim schools opening in Blackburn, are these forced to take in a percentage of other faiths?
Interesting question. Would you send a child of your own there if it was a fact that the quality of the tutoring was superior to that of a school of alternate religion?

Well. On this subject- If I had any children I would prefer that they do not go to any religious school and request that they do not get force fed any religion. Totally and utterly irrelevant to curriculum. In a perfect world, imho- would be no religious schools whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Two bearded boys barred from Accrington school Mount Carmel Roman Catholic High School - Accrington Observer

In terms of science, How does a 14 year old grow a beard?
Parents been putting bio grow on their cornflakes?
I ain't sure what it is. Higher levels of testosterone or something like that? I have an Irish friend, whom at 17 had a rug on his chest. Took me around 30 years to get a few hairs haha
susie123 likes this.

Last edited by Restless; 08-10-2013 at 06:47.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well. On this subject- If I had any children I would prefer that they do not go to any religious school and request that they do not get force fed any religion. Totally and utterly irrelevant to curriculum. In a perfect world, imho- would be no religious schools whatsoever.

I ain't sure what it is. Higher levels of testosterone or something like that? I have an Irish friend, whom at 17 had a rug on his chest. Took me around 30 years to get a few hairs haha
I guess it's a question of balance Rob, I'd prefer that kids are given a balanced and broad view of world religions. Easy to say but hard to put into practice.

Kids are reaching puberty earlier and earlier these days but then again there have always been early starters. I think the school is handling the situation sympathetically. After all they are only kids and will be coping with the associated emotional problems that puberty brings with it. It's the parent's or relatives that are advising them using their own agenda wrongly in my opinion.
Restless likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I guess it's a question of balance Rob, I'd prefer that kids are given a balanced and broad view of world religions. Easy to say but hard to put into practice.

Kids are reaching puberty earlier and earlier these days but then again there have always been early starters. I think the school is handling the situation sympathetically. After all they are only kids and will be coping with the associated emotional problems that puberty brings with it. It's the parent's or relatives that are advising them using their own agenda wrongly in my opinion.
To be honest "D" i take the view "All kids are equal" n on that basis the school to me are handling it completely wrong. Any breach of school rules with any child should end in discussions between school @ parents of the child,to consult elders to me is ridiculous.I agree about parents or relatives advising to own agenda.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:31   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be honest "D" i take the view "All kids are equal" n on that basis the school to me are handling it completely wrong. Any breach of school rules with any child should end in discussions between school @ parents of the child,to consult elders to me is ridiculous.I agree about parents or relatives advising to own agenda.
I don't see how speaking with the elders is ridiculous, anything that helped the school to a sensible and balanced view has to be better than just talking to the parents.

"A side bar issue" as the yanks tend to say Ol. Just read some of Mo Farrah's bio and he makes mention of the respect he had for the elders in the madrassas including the big stick. Oh the good old days on Union Road eh?
Restless likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:10   #40

Quote:
I don't see how speaking with the elders is ridiculous, anything that helped the school to a sensible and balanced view has to be better than just talking to the parents.

"A side bar issue" as the yanks tend to say Ol. Just read some of Mo Farrah's bio and he makes mention of the respect he had for the elders in the madrassas including the big stick. Oh the good old days on Union Road eh?
I see your point, however, The other year i refused for my daughter to visit a mosque to study their beliefs. You want to know why i refused? Simple, It was a 1 way thing. It was ok for my daughter to visit a mosque but there was no school trip arranged to visit a church or any other faiths place of worship. Why is that? Simple, they do not belief in any other faiths nor will try to understand other peoples religious beliefs regardless.
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19   #41
Beacon of light

Quote:

It is ridiculous because the elders have only one intention, and that is definitely not to support the school, but to support the boys involved by invoking the religious card.
It should be the parents or guardians only.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
I see your point, however, The other year i refused for my daughter to visit a mosque to study their beliefs. You want to know why i refused? Simple, It was a 1 way thing. It was ok for my daughter to visit a mosque but there was no school trip arranged to visit a church or any other faiths place of worship. Why is that? Simple, they do not belief in any other faiths nor will try to understand other peoples religious beliefs regardless.
Well you should have pressed the school harder in the interests of impartiality and balance to arrange as many cross cultural visits to schools, places of worship etc.

Let me tell you from vast experience, if you ask someone if they are your average politically active person they will insist that they are – and then they will do precisely zero about things they moan about..
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is ridiculous because the elders have only one intention, and that is definitely not to support the school, but to support the boys involved by invoking the religious card.
Utterly Ridiculous all children should be treated equally, seems the bleeding heart liberals can't grasp that simple fact.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Where in all this brouhaha Mrs P have the elders made a statement invoking the religious card?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14   #45
Beacon of light

They(the elders) have said that the growing of facial hair is what the prophet did and that these boys are emulating the prophet.....but that isn't religious is it?

They did not support the schools dress and uniform policy, but stated that these religious beliefs should be respected.

If these boys wish to follow slavishly the actions of the prophet, then they should be in a school which accommodates this practice.
jaysay and westendlass like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..