Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 06:54   #91
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: School Beards.

Back down on Human rights grounds? Lifted from this mornings "Torygraph".

Bearded Muslim schoolboys barred from class allowed to return because of human rights - Telegraph
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56   #92
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
id say i gave a crap just as much as if all the brown lads grew beards because mo had... crap thread has run its course
Oooh!! Who's a proper grumpy Bear this morning "R"?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oooh!! Who's a proper grumpy Bear this morning "R"?
You caught me!

Yah. Been listening to wind chimes or something like it out back for the best part of 8 hours...
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08   #94
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
surprise surprise he is a labour councillor

Councillors - Munsif Dad
Yes , and for the Hyndburn Council ward of Spring Hill , where I live , and for the LCC ward of Accrington West .

I look forward to speaking to him if he comes knocking on my door asking for my support when he is next up for re-election .

Reading between the lines , I think that the school governors were prepared to stand by their policy , having had the pupils taught in isolation and then excluding them from the school and not allowing them to return unless they were clean shaven .

Why the U - turn ? I am sure that the intervention of the Bishop of Salford , within whose diocese Accrington is situated , has been crucial .

From the BBC website I quote : " The Bishop of Salford advised governors to work with the Islamic community and "support boys who are genuinely and fully committed to their faith".

It's fine for the bishop to start dictating from his ivory tower in Wardley Hall , Worsley , but this mess is just playing into the hands of such as are to be found in the BNP and EDL , and this whole business can have done nothing but harm to relations within the school and to the morale of the staff and governors .

Not a very happy situation .
cashman likes this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49   #95
Beacon of light

so...now this schools uniform policy has been shot to pieces by these boys...how long will it be before some boys or girls flout the uniform/dress/behaviour policy by going to school with blue hair..or a wild haircut...and thy cite some bit of ECHR policy and are allowed to get away with it?

When these muslim boys first joined the school, they would have been made aware of uniform/behaviour policy...but I guess at 11 the parents didn't think of the hairy faces they might have in a few short years time.
They should have been told to move schools...to schools which feel comfortable with such things.
This decision undermines the authority of the school and its governors.
jelly baby, shillelagh and Greeny like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
so...now this schools uniform policy has been shot to pieces by these boys...how long will it be before some boys or girls flout the uniform/dress/behaviour policy by going to school with blue hair..or a wild haircut...and thy cite some bit of ECHR policy and are allowed to get away with it?

When these muslim boys first joined the school, they would have been made aware of uniform/behaviour policy...but I guess at 11 the parents didn't think of the hairy faces they might have in a few short years time.
They should have been told to move schools...to schools which feel comfortable with such things.
Agree 100%, according to JCB, seems the Bishop Of Salford has had a hand in this?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14   #97
Resting in Peace

How ironic that the new Muslim faith academy somewhere down south, which was featured on Newsnight yesterday, insists that all it's female teachers of all faiths must now wear head covering! These are the school rules. What chance do you think of their "human rights" being supported by the EU busybodies?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31   #98
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
How ironic that the new Muslim faith academy somewhere down south, which was featured on Newsnight yesterday, insists that all it's female teachers of all faiths must now wear head covering! These are the school rules. What chance do you think of their "human rights" being supported by the EU busybodies?
Absolutely none......which is why it is so galling. There is only take...no give...and they do not tolerate any faith but their own.

Similarly a school in Derby had these rules too....I'm sure that I read that Ofsted had stepped in and closed it..althought they did say it was 'temporary'.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39   #99
God Member

They could move to this school in Blackburn, which seems to arrange its holidays around the muslim calendar, rather than the traditional way.

Eid means shutdown for Blackburn school (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40   #100
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Agree 100%, according to JCB, seems the Bishop Of Salford has had a hand in this?
On the BBC News website the head of Mount Carmel , Mr Bowers , is quoted as saying : " The Bishop of Salford advised governors to work with the Islamic community and "support boys who are genuinely and fully committed to their faith" " .

I fail to see what the European Convention of Human Rights has to do with .

In France and in Belgium the wearing of the burqa is banned in public places . I am not aware that the French or the Belgians are having problems with the European Convention of Human Rights because of this ban .

I do not see why we should have problems with the ECHR because of a ban on school children growing beards .

This issue should never have arisen in the first place .

There are various traditions in Islam as there are in Christianity . Some Muslims quote the words of Mohammad , not found in the Quran , that Muslim males should grow beards . I respect the beliefs of these Muslims in this matter . When the school was first faced with this issue , the governors should have consulted leading Muslims to clarify the matter . Having discovered that some Muslims do grow beards for religious reasons , out of respect for the beliefs of those Muslim pupils who adhere to these beliefs , they should have adapted their policy on dress and appearance to allow for this. This is now the policy of the school . With a little bit of foresight this hoo-ha need never have arisen .

I know it is easy to be wise after the event . That is why I still hold to the view that , while the dress and appearance code of the school stated that pupils be clean shaven , all pupils should have been made to abide by that code , even though that code should have been changed when it was discovered that it conflicted with the religious beliefs of some of the pupils .

"Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Facial jewellery, Goth make-up and clothing, pupils able to wear what they like, Crucifix and Star of David necklaces, Muslim females allowed to wear burkhas etc - where is it going to end?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:18   #102

There aint no Great in Britain anymore
Gremlin and maxthecollie like this.
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20   #103
Senior Member+

wait until we get our muslim government
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47   #104
Senior Member+

Taking it a bit too far..

Look mostly white religions to me...
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:10   #105
Beacon of light

Rob, just because it is like that now doesn't mean it is going to stay that way.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..