Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2013, 08:30   #16
Full Member+

Re: Scottish money

Scottish money already looks foreign anyway. Try spending a fiver /tenner in any shops round here, you end up being eyed suspiciously as if your trying to off load counterfeit cash. It has been known to be refused by wary shopkeepers.
shillelagh likes this.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2013, 09:02   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Scottish money already looks foreign anyway. Try spending a fiver /tenner in any shops round here, you end up being eyed suspiciously as if your trying to off load counterfeit cash. It has been known to be refused by wary shopkeepers.
Think they haven't caught up with us yet, nearly sure they still pound notes too
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:23   #18
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think they haven't caught up with us yet, nearly sure they still pound notes too
Your right Jaysay, just seen a picture of one on Google !
Old 24-04-2013, 09:27   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I was refused many years ago at some shop in accy.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:32   #20
Resting in Peace

If they do get independence can we send the pipers back over the border before we finish building the wall
Old 24-04-2013, 11:33   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I was refused .
You personally? Now why am I not surprised?
Old 24-04-2013, 11:48   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Pound notes have not been used north of the border fro quite some time now.

Last edited by Neil; 24-04-2013 at 17:15. Reason: fixed quote before everyone starts quoting it and making a pigs ear of the thread
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 17:16   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Pound notes have not been used north of the border fro quite some time now.
Don't think you can spend them here if you bring any back if you've risked a trip over the border
Old 24-04-2013, 18:15   #24
God Member

Quote:
id actually like to see the return of teh pound note i never saw the point or need for a £1 coin

mind you with a new higher value coin it meant payment meters could charge you double the money than the previous highest value coin 50p

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 18:27   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
id actually like to see the return of teh pound note i never saw the point or need for a £1 coin

mind you with a new higher value coin it meant payment meters could charge you double the money than the previous highest value coin 50p
That's the reason they did away with the £ note in the first place, they keep them in jockland because they're to tight
Old 24-04-2013, 19:05   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I don't think keeping the pound should even be an option for them. Its not their currency.

What bugs me about the whole debate is that the Scots seem to think they can have some sort of pic n mix taking the good but not the bad. I've even heard them talking about not taking their share of the national debt (which by population is GBP 126 billion).

The greater question for me is are we getting a refund for paying for the Royal Bank of Scotland? That's a Scottish HQ bank, with an entirely Scottish board that went bust to the tune of GBP 45 billion and counting. The British had to bail that out because 45 billion represents the ENTIRE Scottish annual budget! I could go on and talk about bailouts to the Bank of Scotland which add another 10bn or so. All very well talking about splits of oil revenue etc but we footed the bill for their banking collapse and that was far larger than Scotland could ever pay for.

I vote them out, say they take their 126bn share of national debt + 50bn for their collapsed banks and see how they get on. After that the country will look like a poor version of Cyprus.
You could also add into the equation the nice new Scottish Parliament building which was built to give the illusion of semi-independence, a snip at an estimated £414million.
It's a prickly question. Lets hope they don't adopt the thistle as their national currency for any kind of payback! If nothing else you could at least eat oatcakes...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 24-04-2013 at 19:09.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 19:26   #27
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

I agree. Made you feel richer than you actually were. Could look like you had a wad of cash for twenty quid.
Old 24-04-2013, 20:02   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
I agree. Made you feel richer than you actually were. Could look like you had a wad of cash for twenty quid.
Even better when there were 10 bob notes with a quid as the wrapper
shillelagh, jaysay and Eric like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 09:04   #29
Resting in Peace

Once remember finding a ten bob note on my way to school and handed it in to the teacher, who said if nobody claimed it I could have half and the other half would go to the St Vincent De Paul society, never handed out in again
Old 25-04-2013, 10:09   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Once remember finding a ten bob note on my way to school and handed it in to the teacher, who said if nobody claimed it I could have half and the other half would go to the St Vincent De Paul society, never handed out in again
But did you get your five bob?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..