Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 14:23   #1
Resting in Peace

Scottish Power

My daughter came round this morning and said se was pig sick, why I asked, she old me she'd just recieved a letter from Scottish Power saying that they put up her monthly payments up to £150, she lives in a mid terraced house goes out to work all day. It didn't make things any better when I told her that my monthly payments to British Gas for both Gas and Electricity are £51, although its only a flat and I'm in all day every day and have a lot more electrical appliances than her too. I told her the best thing to do was to go on line and do a price check, I'm sure she can get abetter price than that

Last edited by jaysay; 07-06-2008 at 14:25. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2008, 14:28   #2

Re: Scottish Power

I live in a 3 bed mid terraced, home all day and I'm a nightmare with turning the heating on, even if its just a chill in the air, and my gas is probs about 15 pounds a week, double it in winter.

Me thinks she is being robbed....
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 14:31   #3
God Member

I recently left Scottish Power recently because of their overcharging, went to British Gas who i`m much happier with.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 14:31   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

mines £160 per month n thats N-Power. mid terrace.
Old 07-06-2008, 14:32   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
mines £160 per month n thats N-Power. mid terrace.

Yikes..........mines that per quarter...........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 14:46   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
I live in a 3 bed mid terraced, home all day and I'm a nightmare with turning the heating on, even if its just a chill in the air, and my gas is probs about 15 pounds a week, double it in winter.

Me thinks she is being robbed....
Thats what I thought onlyme, hers is only a two bed, but I've heard Scottish Power are very dear, my break down is £15 for gas and £36 Lecky, okay my gas goes up in the winter, but £150 a month, oh its gone up from £95 three months ago
Old 07-06-2008, 15:51   #7
God Member

tell scottish power to sod off thats only what they estimate you will use , if they insist say you will ring up each month and give a meter reading and pay that

scottish power are idiots to say the least , they send demands out to people who are on pre payment meters

bloody goons

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 15:54   #8
God Member

Ours is a 2 bed house which is not insulated yet, and open on 3 sides, heating is on constant, (cheaper to tick over), on 21 degrees, we pay £30 per month with eon, (which was powergen), I have just fitted a condensing boiler so this will go down now.. cheap as chips!
Old 07-06-2008, 15:57   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Ours is a 2 bed house which is not insulated yet, and open on 3 sides, heating is on constant, (cheaper to tick over), on 21 degrees, we pay £30 per month with eon, (which was powergen), I have just fitted a condensing boiler so this will go down now.. cheap as chips!
well i reckon £30 fer chips is robbery.
Old 07-06-2008, 16:06   #10
Resting in Peace

Don't get me going. Was being charged £129 last year just for gas.

Took a big look at what I was using, and to be honest, was not being very economical e.g. leaving heating/water on all night (find don't need now).

Temperature of 75 degrees.
Pilot light on on gas fire.
Faulty timer so water had to be on all of the time.

Even though turned heating down as I went out to work .. only got it down to £97.

They have put me a new timer in but the system will not let me time the heating without the water being on.

Now, at last .. they have now decided to reduce to £31 !! (includes credit through direct debit).

Problem is, did feel a little chilly at times, and had to put on blow heater in back room, where I spend most of my time, and can see they are underestimating my electric usage (estimates) .. this is charged at £54 per month. Don't use cooker much .. Keep one lamp on all night, apart from that, not heavy user on the lights.

Yes, have become obsessed by it all..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:06   #11
Senior Member+

i left scottish power after they tried to make me pay a big bill even tho i was on a prepayment meter.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:16   #12
Resting in Peace

Sorry, of course there is my washer and dryer and computer on most of the time ... so not really grumbling about the lecky.

Think your daughter ought to take a good look at her usage first .. might surprise her, before she looks around for better deals.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My daughter came round this morning and said se was pig sick, why I asked, she old me she'd just recieved a letter from Scottish Power saying that they put up her monthly payments up to £150, she lives in a mid terraced house goes out to work all day. It didn't make things any better when I told her that my monthly payments to British Gas for both Gas and Electricity are £51, although its only a flat and I'm in all day every day and have a lot more electrical appliances than her too. I told her the best thing to do was to go on line and do a price check, I'm sure she can get abetter price than that
Well i live in a flat and i pay about the same as you,but i've got 9 appliances on standbye 24/7.Theres something cockeyed some where.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:38   #14
God Member

I live in the same sort of flat as Jasay and mine is £49.50 monthly
Scottish Power Online Energy Saver 3 - dual fuel - direct debit - 'no paper bills'
Every supplier has a variety of tariff rates
Insulation and 'which tariff' can make a difference

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 18:53   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I have a 3 bedroom semi and have all the usual electrical appliances, gas heating and water (condenser combi boiler - 8 radiators), gas fire and gas cooker. There's me, my daughter and my granddaughter - baths and showers every day and washing machine on 3 or 4 times a week. I don't skimp with the heating.

I'm with Scottish Power and I pay £80 per month for gas and electricity combined. One thing I don't do is leave anything on standby - it eats electricity. If I were your daughter I'd be checking every appliance and if I thought everything was OK I'd have my gas/electric meters checked.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..