Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2010, 19:58   #151
Junior Member+

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It's not the welcome, it's that you've found something laudable in gravelly posts that have tarmaced their way through this thread, rubbishing a scheme which is for the benefit of everyone involved in it.

You and I are definitely on different sides of the fence on this matter.
Ken I apologise for not reading the site and introducing myself to everyone. This I will rectify.

You have made a few comments on the points I have made. I don’t really think my spelling and grammar is an issue high on the agenda, I had a lot of points in my initial comments and failed to spell check it after completion.

I’m not sure what relevance the car I drive has to the matter, but for your benefit and to clear this point up, my car is paid for by me with a wage I earn, working as an estate and letting agent day in day out. I do not profiteer as a result of my properties and I like many welcome licensing, but as I have said so many times, my issue is the manner in which this scheme is being introduced.

I have property in areas not licensed, you may live in an area that is not licensed, is it not fair of me to say that neither of us want to see other parts of Accrington and the borough suffer bad tenants as a result of a half hearted scheme.

Politics are not on my agenda Ken, selective licensing is.

Regards.
Eafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2010, 20:55   #152

Eafield you implied in an earlier thread that certain areas of Accrington were not included in the scheme because Councillors owned houses in those areas. There are 4 Labour councillors who post on Accyweb- myself, Graham Jones, Clare Pritchard and Bernard Dawson. None of us are landlords (as you have said Graham was). In fact Bernard lives in a Hyndburn Homes property. I feel that you need to quanitify your claims.

Also I do not apologise for my statement that Labour Party members and councillors started to deliver the leaflets on 28 March showing the area that was to be designated. Incidentally there had already been an article about the scheme in the Accrington Observer earlier in March .
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:18   #153
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Also I do not apologise for my statement that Labour Party members and councillors started to deliver the leaflets on 28 March showing the area that was to be designated. Incidentally there had already been an article about the scheme in the Accrington Observer earlier in March .

The article about the scheme, published on the 12th March, 2010.

Licence scheme will root out rogue landlords - Accrington Observer

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:31   #154
God Member

I agree with the licensing but do thing it should cover all the borough and not just selected areas. Seems to me that all that will happen is absent landlords who care not a jot about the state of their property or what type of tenant they have will just move on to other areas. This scheme needs to be rolled out across the borough.
Old 15-04-2010, 22:00   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I agree with the licensing but do thing it should cover all the borough and not just selected areas. Seems to me that all that will happen is absent landlords who care not a jot about the state of their property or what type of tenant they have will just move on to other areas. This scheme needs to be rolled out across the borough.
Unfortunately the scheme would not have been approved by the department of Communities and Local Government (CLG) if it had covered the entire borough. As it is, it was only through the intervention of Greg Pope, who spoke to the Minister for CLG - John Healey, that the scheme was sanctioned. It had originally been thrown out by the Government Office North West because they felt that it covered to large an area. Graham Jones had already discussed the scheme and other housing problems that there are in the borough at the Labour Party conference in Brighton last September.

In other local authorities, where there are Selective Licensing schemes, that have been up and running for several years, Selective Licensing has been extended to cover other areas. In Salford, there are now 2 designated areas and in Manchester 3.

Selective Licensing for Local Authorities a Good Practice Guide by Shelter

http://england.shelter.org.uk/__data...uthorities.pdf

Also this is an article from Salford Advertiser dated 4 March 2010 about a landlord being fined £6000 for not signing up to the selective licence scheme.

Landlord fined for no licence - Salford Advertiser

Also a report of a landlord being prosecuted for not bringing their property up to standard.

LACORS - Subject Content Details
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 22:42   #156
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
As you are aware i know him and he is indeed a landlord a good one too
Ta fer the clarification Turkish.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]You say you agree with some of my comments, yet like many others in this forum you seem keen to quibble minor points
May I graciously ask, as you have now advised you are a landlord, are you accredited and if so when were you accredited?

I am a landlord, I am not accredited, although I applied to be over 12 months ago. Yes i’m an agent also. I do not have issue with being licensed, I do not have issue with paying for it. For the record, I only have two houses that will be affected by the scheme.

May I also graciously ask will your property be affected by the scheme?

I look forward to hearing back.
[/QUOTE]
Right in answer to you. i do not call it quibbling minor points, when you accuse people of being landlords when they are not, i call it n attempt at character assasination, n that is not defending political views as Graham Jones is well aware of my standpoint. as to yer question am i accredited the answer is no, due to the simple fact i aint a landlord in this area, as many on here who know me well are aware. however i do conform with all the rules over and above with my property.also personally i do not give a rats about yer grammer/ spelling etc, slong as i can understand things, full stops n spelling matter not 1 iota to me. hope that answers what ya want to know.
Old 16-04-2010, 06:22   #157
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafield View Post
I’m not sure what relevance the car I drive has to the matter, but for your benefit and to clear this point up, my car is paid for by me with a wage I earn, working as an estate and letting agent day in day out.
It was emphasising a point about profit for Andrewb's benefit, but it's also something of a joke between myself and Garinda about a debate he and I had some time ago regarding 4x4s.

I'm assuming the vehicle in question is yours as you haven't stated that I'm wrong but it's a very nice car with essentially a private plate so if you've paid for that yourself you're obviously doing quite well, and fair enough.

I wouldn't call your landlording style into question as I don't know anything about you, but I've seen lots of cars on the street where I live come to collect rent and not a single one of them is what you might call 'reasonably priced'. I know for a fact that some of the tenants are living in shabby conditions which their landlords have repeatedly failed to put right, yet they themselves are evidently living in luxury. You'll forgive me for looking on that as profiteering in quite a different way from running an apple stall.

I would call that into question and support any scheme which sets out to refine trading methods and improve living standards, particularly one that is backed by some very well-respected landlords in Rishton and other areas. I will say yet again that bad landlords are ruining decent areas and people are getting fed up of it.

If you're a good landlord (and I haven't yet spoken to one that is against the idea) then why would you oppose the scheme? I realise you're not opposing it, merely the way it is being introduced, but at this stage something is better than nothing and if it has worked in such a large area as Salford then that's good enough for me.

It can always be refined, that's what councils are there for.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 16-04-2010 at 06:25.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:56   #158
God Member

Quote:

I'm assuming the vehicle in question is yours as you haven't stated that I'm wrong but it's a very nice car with essentially a private plate so if you've paid for that yourself you're obviously doing quite well, and fair enough.
come on, thats a low blow ..... can anyone say petty juvenile jealousy , obivously your upset that someone can afford to buy a "toy" maybe you should work harder then you could have one that reads MOSSY 1 ......... never have I seen anyone castigated and given so much "bad karma" in such short of time for daring/having the guts to post an opinion that isn't in lockstep with the local ideology ( it's not our fault we live in bad areas , we are all victims of the big bad man) ...... Re. Rishton ..why did it have to take over 2 years for your possible future 'constituants' to get rid of the crazy woman in Rishton who played loud music at all hours to get it stopped , so they could get a good nights sleep before getting up for work to pay their council tax... be interesting to know if the miscreant was in reciept of local housing benefits , to me that seems the local Police and local Councillors/Council employees were not interested doing their job

Noise row woman has stereo seized (From Lancashire Telegraph)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:02   #159
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
come on, thats a low blow ..... can anyone say petty juvenile jealousy , obivously your upset that someone can afford to buy a "toy" maybe you should work harder then you could have one that reads MOSSY 1
It's a low blow to congratulate someone on having a nice car?

We're talking about profiteering and since I don't know Eafield I certainly can't lay any claim at his door either way. However, to go back to several cases in point in Rishton, when someone is cruising up to a terraced house with a dodgy boiler and a leaky roof the like of which I've never seen before in an 10 plate Merc, you'll pardon me for thinking that maybe they are raking in quite a fair old stash without necessarily giving the service that is required in return.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 16-04-2010 at 07:05.
Old 16-04-2010, 07:16   #160
Give, give, give member

Quote:
never have I seen anyone castigated and given so much "bad karma" in such short of time for daring/having the guts to post an opinion
I presume no one has the slightest problem with anyone expressing an opinion.

However when your first couple of posts basically accuse a well respected member, such as claytonender, of being a liar, and it turns out she didn't, and then trys to label Graham Jones a landlord, a couple of weeks after the vile attack in the press, which we all hoped had been put to bed, after his sister explained about their late grandmother's estate being in probate, and evidence has been supplied in this thread to once again put this lie right, and no comment, or apology has been made by the new member who stated this untruth, I presume that's why people gave negative karma.

As mentined earlier, there have been two other new members who have made worse first impressions, but they were either before you joined, or you've forgotten.

Giving an opinion is fine. How you give it, will deter how people take it.

Personally I wouldn't go to a party, tell the hosts their newly decorated rooms look terrible, and then accuse their children of being bare faced liars.

Old 16-04-2010, 07:24   #161
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Re. Rishton ..why did it have to take over 2 years for your possible future 'constituants' to get rid of the crazy woman in Rishton who played loud music at all hours to get it stopped , so they could get a good nights sleep before getting up for work to pay their council tax... be interesting to know if the miscreant was in reciept of local housing benefits , to me that seems the local Police and local Councillors/Council employees were not interested doing their job

Noise row woman has stereo seized (From Lancashire Telegraph)
To be fair to HBC, they did do their job as the house is now empty and in the process of being retenanted. There is protocol in dealing with noisy neighbours and I can tell you from experience that it works and the police will deal with noisy parties, etc. immediately if they are called.

I can't really see how this story can be viewed in a negative light as the problem has been solved to the satisfaction of everyone involved (presumably excepting the tenant).

Old 16-04-2010, 07:24   #162
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's a low blow to congratulate someone on having a nice car?

We're talking about profiteering and since I don't know Eafield I certainly can't lay any claim at his door either way. However, to go back to several cases in point in Rishton, when someone is cruising up to a terraced house with a dodgy boiler and a leaky roof the like of which I've never seen before in an 10 plate Merc, you'll pardon me for thinking that maybe they are raking in quite a fair old stash without necessarily giving the service that is required in return.

Come on, cut him some slack.

Old Steeljack's well and truly bought into the American dream, were the dollar is king, and no one is truly happy until they have gold plated taps in their trailer, and a great big gas guzzler parked outside.

Trashy status symbols are more highly prized on t'otherside of the pond.

Old 16-04-2010, 07:26   #163
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Come on, cut him some slack.

Old Steeljack's well and truly bought into the American dream, were the dollar is king, and no one is truly happy until they have gold plated taps in their trailer, and a great big gas guzzler parked outside.

Trashy status symbols are more highly prized on t'otherside of the pond.

My nice little Mini Cooper not cut the mustard, then?

Maybe if I'd worked harder at school.....

Old 16-04-2010, 07:37   #164
Give, give, give member

Quote:
My nice little Mini Cooper not cut the mustard, then?

Maybe if I'd worked harder at school.....
You'll never be happy, or judged a success, until you do.

I don't think anyones explained to our former colonists that you enter this world with nowt, and leave it the same way.

Anything that comes your way whilst you're on life's journey, is merely a means of making that journey more comfortable.

Otherwise the 'richest' country on the planet wouldn't have the highest rate of lard arsed depressives in the world.

Happy is, as happy does.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:39   #165
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You'll never be happy, or judged a success, until you do.

I don't think anyones explained to our former colonists that you enter this world with nowt, and leave it the same way.

Anything that comes your way whilst you're on life's journey, is merely a means of making that journey more comfortable.

Otherwise the 'richest' country on the planet wouldn't have the highest rate of lard arsed depressives in the world.

Happy is, as happy does.

as an old bumper sticker of mine used to say... Whoever dies with the most toys wins!

reviving an old thread ....... wonder if this news report (BBC website) will have any effect on HBC new regulations about private landlords

BBC News - Letting agents 'let off the hook' by government
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..