Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2010, 10:07   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
This only means the rents will increase to cover this cost, wont solve the problem of these bad landlords. Wonder how much the council will gain from all this extra income in the end being paid by the poor person renting the house.
There was probably people moaning about costs, when the law was changed so that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and annual boiler checks were needed in rented accommodation, and that furniture required evidence that it complied with fire safety requirements.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2010, 11:12   #62
God Member

Can I ask how many local landlords were consulted?
Old 14-04-2010, 11:19   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I think that's probably part of the problem.

Many landlords aren't 'local' to the properties they own. They purchased them as buy-to-let investments, and don't see the problems that people have to live with, day in, day out.

Old 14-04-2010, 12:03   #64
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
This only means the rents will increase to cover this cost, wont solve the problem of these bad landlords. Wonder how much the council will gain from all this extra income in the end being paid by the poor person renting the house.
In this instance, I'd prefer to look at the merits of the scheme rather than simply the money aspect of it. The Salford model has yielded fruit in terms of happier tenants and better upkeep of rental properties, plus landlords are less likely to flout the rules if it means being publicly evicted from an accreditation scheme.

There are certain things which require far more regulation than they already have and rental housing is one of them. Bring it on.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 16:46   #65
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

So we've established that the idea in principle is sound, but the question of the price still needs addressing ! Council takes its pound of flesh from Landlord = Landlord requires to make up short fall = Screw the prices right up on the poor unfortunates in the accommodation !

Yes Mrs Jones, I know its an extra 50 nicker a month you've got to raise to pay your bill but I've got a family to feed as well ! Now if you was on the social ! well you'd be laughing wouldn't you as it'd be paid for you, but since you chose to try & eke out a living by working & raising your kids yourself !

Is the Council going to make a stand for these people as well ?? after all that is the whole point of the exercise isn't it ? To ensure suitable housing which is safe & comfortable for all the Tenants ! Will they ensure the above scenario won't be repeated throughout the Borough ? as mentioned elsewhere, will they also include in the licence a clause to protect those who attempt to pay their own way ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 19:25   #66
Junior Member+

Garinda thanks for your limited responce, my appologies for the typo the date should have read 31/03/2010 although if it had have been the 31/04/2010 then despite my obvious time travel skills my point would have been the same. Our councillor friends have been telling the world this scheme is up and running prior to having had the official go ahead. If sarcasm was as high on my agenda as it is yours I might well imply it is them that are capable of your time travel skills. Thanks again for your constructive points though.
Eafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 20:07   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafield View Post
Garinda thanks for your limited responce, my appologies for the typo the date should have read 31/03/2010 although if it had have been the 31/04/2010 then despite my obvious time travel skills my point would have been the same. Our councillor friends have been telling the world this scheme is up and running prior to having had the official go ahead. If sarcasm was as high on my agenda as it is yours I might well imply it is them that are capable of your time travel skills. Thanks again for your constructive points though.
Glad to be of help.

When you're criticizing someone else, for allegedly not giving the correct information, it's always wise to make sure you yourself are being factually correct. Otherwise people may cast doubt on what you say as being truthful.

The Devil is in the detail.

Old 14-04-2010, 20:17   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Quote:
As a landlord myself, I concur, licensing is a good thing and should be introduced
Though as you agree with what some wards in Hyndburn are doing, re: landlord's licencing, a lot of the other waffle seemed rather extraneous.

Sometimes brevity is much more effective in getting your point of view across clearly.

Old 14-04-2010, 20:25   #69
Junior Member+

Mr Jones has given a great response to my thread!

You will undoubtedly make a good MP, you have made no comment nor replied to any of the points I have raised.

Your response sounds as though you are the judge, jury and executioner!

Yes master, I値l, take my medicine.

Mr Jones refers to the bad landlords, he perhaps hasn稚 read my thread properly, I agree with Licensing, if correctly implemented.

Are you not a landlord yourself, Mr Jones and was it not your flyer that accused all landlords of Greed. Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to your motivation for becoming a landlord?
Old 14-04-2010, 20:31   #70
Senior Member+

" Fit and Proper" landlords as they are known in benefits lingo will not balk at this plan, it gives them a chance to be more selective about who they rent to. From personal experience I had to provide a bond and 2 references to rent my house, from a private landlord, I have been his tenant for more than 8 years now and have to say he is very caring and considerate, extremely conscious of safety issues and would be the first to tell me if he was unhappy with me as a tenant. He has about 6 houses on my street and all his tenants are well looked after. Our houses certainly don't "look rented", unlike the one across the road with the sheet wedged in the window frame acting as a curtain (been like that 4 months) and the majority of noise and nuisance actually comes from tenants who have rented from agencies that are nowhere near as fussy....
Old 14-04-2010, 20:39   #71
Senior Member+

I received a letter from the minister in the middle of January saying approval.

I believe what I am supporting is right and I am not for turning. If landlords want to jack up prices then a Labour Council will act to bring prices down.

We are more than aware of the matrix of issues and intend not to be a sit back council or one frightened of lobby groups
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 20:40   #72
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Its my understanding that none were consulted, although we do know that there are good number of councillors who are also landlords, "i知 advised" a large number of councillor owned properties are within the Springhill district (but this is not qualified by me yet, i知 currently investigating), this is an area that has not been sighted for Licensing but most certainly should have been. mmmm..(and for the record I own property in this area, and would be happy to pay for licensing to improve the area.)

I would like to know if the local constabulary have been involved in the area selection.

In addition it would be good to know why the council voted against the current scheme as recently as Dec 2009, yet as a result of the one man army that is Mr Jones, it was then approved only one month latter.

Does Mr Jones know better than the council?

Again, just for the record, good landlords are not against licensing, this includes me as a landlord and an agent.

It should however be implemented in a more targeted manner and with an even hand across the entire borough.
Old 14-04-2010, 20:43   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Mr Jones refers to the bad landlords, he perhaps hasn’t read my thread properly
Er...sorry to pop up again, but do we mean your 'post', rather than your 'thread'?

Perhaps he just took notice of the part of your post, in which you said you thought it was a good idea, and saw no further reason to address the rest of the meanderings.

Old 14-04-2010, 20:46   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Its my understanding that none were consulted, although we do know that there are good number of councillors who are also landlords, "i知 advised" a large number of councillor owned properties are within the Springhill district (but this is not qualified by me yet, i知 currently investigating), this is an area that has not been sighted for Licensing but most certainly should have been. mmmm..(and for the record I own property in this area, and would be happy to pay for licensing to improve the area.)

I would like to know if the local constabulary have been involved in the area selection.

In addition it would be good to know why the council voted against the current scheme as recently as Dec 2009, yet as a result of the one man army that is Mr Jones, it was then approved only one month latter.

Does Mr Jones know better than the council?

Again, just for the record, good landlords are not against licensing, this includes me as a landlord and an agent.

It should however be implemented in a more targeted manner and with an even hand across the entire borough.
I think that it is not to be borough wide because the ruling Tory group votred against it.

Old 14-04-2010, 20:49   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:

You never know, after May 6th it might be.

If I was you I'd be lobbying my councillors at this very minute, saying, as a landlord, that you think it's a jolly good idea, and should be made mandatory in every ward in Hyndburn.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..