Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2010, 22:13   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafield View Post
Your case study does noting more than helpfully provide backbone to my argument and I am amazed that this is not grasped by you.

Your case study saw a landlord ultimately evict what was a bad tenant, yes he maybe took too long to do it and yes the council had to get involved, however the end result was that she was evicted.

Where did she go?, because the council didn’t house her!

We can be pretty certain she isn’t living in a cardboard box, so "there it is" my friend she’s moved in next door to some other poor sole within a district that is obviously not licensed six months later.

You better hope you live in a licensed area. If not now’s the time to be nice to your neighbours, because the next time one falls into debt and sells to an investor you could be living next to your case study.

Oh and under current law it will take even the best landlord at least five months to evict her for you.

Good luck!
Are you still posting?

I was first waiting to read an apology, for accusing an elected public figure of telling lies, which has been proved to be totally incorrect.

I think you're lucky that the person said they expected an apology, which will be somewhat less expensive than facing a libel action.

Last edited by Mick; 15-04-2010 at 05:07.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2010, 22:15   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I would like to know where are these 'three one bedroomed flats advertised on the HBC website'. I have looked and not seen. I am registered with B-with-us and each week there are between 30 and 40 tenancies advertised in the 'social housing' sector.

I did not think that HBC retained any housing when the big transfer to Hyndburn Homes happened a few years back.
Margaret you are quite correct that HBC did not retain any housing after the transfer to Hyndburn Homes.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 22:19   #93
Give, give, give member

'Eafield & Maple are...committed to caring for your property
and maximising your financial return'
http://www.eafield-maple.co.uk/rental_doc.pdf

Old 14-04-2010, 22:25   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Margaret you are quite correct that HBC did not retain any housing after the transfer to Hyndburn Homes.
This puzzles me, are you saying that any housing coming under the umbrella "Hyndburn Homes" was in no way connected to HBC? Find that hard to believe but would love to be proved wrong. When you register with Hyndburn Homes are you not directed to HBC'S website for properties available and then asked to bid? Luckily Iwas offered and accepted a property (without the need to be on-line) not everybody is but seems HBC and Hyndburn Homes think everybody is
Old 14-04-2010, 22:31   #95
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'we are committed to caring for your property in your absence and to maximising your financial return'
Home.co.uk: Eafield & Maple Website

I think for many residents, living in areas blighted by problems associated with poorly tenanted properties, many with absentee landlords hundreds of miles away, who bought into the area purely to profit, somethings are more important than pounds and pence.

Fot those honest, hardworking people, trying to raise their families, quality of life rates much higher than profit.

“LMAO” I don’t think you and I are going to see eye to eye on much.

Do you not have a job, do you not strive to provide your family with a quality of life. When I last looked, there was little bar love in this world that comes for free.

A landlord is not a criminal, they simply choose to invest in property rather than banks. I think I’d love to hear your views on the state of our banks.

When you talk about striving to bring up families, do you not feel it is equally important that our children are able to go to school day in day out without the adverse effects of unruly children who are a result of poor social and moral standards. Should we start to license and blame teachers for the falling standards of childhood values within our schools?

I am a landlord because I know there will be no pension for me in the future. I make a very small profit on my properties and my tenants are all happy with me as a landlord.

Am I not allowed to be a honest, hardworking individual?

Shoot all landlords. Never mind the fact that we currently have in excess of 2000 empty houses in the borough. Where would you propose people live?

Might you agree that you and many others seem keen to stereotype all landlords?
Eafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 22:37   #96
God Member

I speak as a tenant in a housing association property for the past 7 years. Prior to that I was an owner occupier for 42 years (at 8 different addresses), and once even a landlord, when I bought a house for my son to live in.

The property I rent is not ideal for my needs, but the 'security of tenure' is an important aspect that having a 'social landlord' provides.

I doubt that I will ever find that little bungalow in a quiet district that I seek.
I still look, both on the B-with-Us and the private sector.

There appear to be widespread social problems in whichever area of Hyndburn you look at.
I sold my last owned property at a loss to a man with 'ringlets and a black hat from Salford' just to escape my neighbours.

Now that landlords in the private sector are coming to terms with the fact that their investments are worth a heck of a lot less than the thought they would be, it maybe is time for all rented properties to be regulated in the same way that social housing associations are.

At least I now have a 20th century bathroom even though I had to wait 3 years to get it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 23:48   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
“LMAO” I don’t think you and I are going to see eye to eye on much.

Do you not have a job, do you not strive to provide your family with a quality of life. When I last looked, there was little bar love in this world that comes for free.
If you continue to post incorrect statements, and then don't have the good grace to apologise, when what you posted was proved to be totally inaccurate, you're probably right.

Another little tip.

This is a family forum, and bad language, even when disguised by asterisks, isn't allowed. I've had to report one of your posts because of this, making more work for our site moderators.

Perhaps a perusal of the forum rules might be wise.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...mer-29681.html

An introduction, in the relevant thread, after issuing your apology, might be a wiser move still.

Old 14-04-2010, 23:56   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Should we start to license and blame teachers for the falling standards of childhood values within our schools?
I think a more urgent need is to address lettings agents, that think there are thirty one days in April, and that it's already past, in this year of 2010.

You don't exactly fill us with confidence, with your woefully inaccurate abilities to be factual.

I won't be investing in you, and therefore...I'm out.

Old 15-04-2010, 08:02   #99
God Member

I for one welcome Eafield's informed contribution to Accyweb.

No councillor has yet let us know how many landlords were consulted. All we know so far is that Eafield was not consulted despite letting several homes in the area.

Last edited by andrewb; 15-04-2010 at 08:05.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:06   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Can I ask how many local landlords were consulted?
'Consultation was carried out via:

Borough wide questionnaires to landlords (1,000 – 11% return)

Landlord’s forum meetings.

Information to East Lancashire Landlords Association (ELLA), Residential landlords Association (RSL) and National Federation of Landlords (NFL)

...the landlord questionnaires were posted first class to all landlords of properties in the Borough that could be identified.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ng_-_App_C.pdf

Old 15-04-2010, 08:13   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I for one welcome Eafield's informed contribution to Accyweb.
I suppose as someone else who has also posted incorrect information from time to time, such as which political party the Daily Mail supported at the 1997 General Election, it will be nice for you to have some company.

Old 15-04-2010, 08:20   #102
Give, give, give member

'Forward from the Leader of the Council -
The Council welcomes the chance to gain extra powers to deal with poor private landlords. Poor management practises can affect more than just the individual tenant; it can affect the immediate neighbours and the wider community.'

'I have learnt from my constituency role that general population has a poor regard for private landlords, mainly due to the activities of a few who are unwilling to show any responsibility towards the community. I hope that the implementation of Selective Licensing will improve standards and where necessary result in the poor landlords leaving the field, allowing the majority of good landlords to show that residents need not fear the presence of private lettings amongst them.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ng_-_App_C.pdf

Old 15-04-2010, 08:20   #103
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Your case study does noting more than helpfully provide backbone to my argument and I am amazed that this is not grasped by you.

Your case study saw a landlord ultimately evict what was a bad tenant, yes he maybe took too long to do it and yes the council had to get involved, however the end result was that she was evicted.

Where did she go?, because the council didn’t house her!

We can be pretty certain she isn’t living in a cardboard box, so "there it is" my friend she’s moved in next door to some other poor sole within a district that is obviously not licensed six months later.

You better hope you live in a licensed area. If not now’s the time to be nice to your neighbours, because the next time one falls into debt and sells to an investor you could be living next to your case study.

Oh and under current law it will take even the best landlord at least five months to evict her for you.

Good luck!
Your grammar and spelling has improved no end in the past 24 hours, for which you must be applauded.

However, much of your argument has revolved around what this government has done (or not done), a seemingly direct attack on Graham Jones regarding his status as a landlord and the fact that there are 2000 empty homes in Hyndburn. Forgive some of us for thinking that you come on like a Conservative councillor trying to hide his identity.

We do need more social housing, which is what Labour is pushing for in Hyndburn. In the meantime, schemes like this are designed to protect the decent tenants who are not only the customers but the people who line the pockets of landlords, good or bad. It also whittles out the chaff and ensures that the industry is looked upon more favourably as a whole, a positive benefit for the landlords themselves.

Some landlords may view property as an alternative pension scheme which is fair enough, but the disreputable ones are simply making money at the expense of the quality of life of families who have no other option.

Spare a thought for the tenants.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:22   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I suppose as someone else who has also posted incorrect information from time to time, such as which political party the Daily Mail supported at the 1997 General Election, it will be nice for you to have some company.

We all make mistakes. Including yourself. I still welcome the informed discussion.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:28   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Spare a thought for the tenants.
'Eafield & Maple are letting and management agents in the area and we are committed to caring for your property in your absence and to maximising your financial return.'
Home.co.uk: Eafield & Maple Website

Profit, investment, returns, but not much mention of tenants, other than them being a source of income.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..