Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2010, 08:33   #106
Common Sense Member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Eafield & Maple are letting and management agents in the area and we are committed to caring for your property in your absence and to maximising your financial return.'
Home.co.uk: Eafield & Maple Website

Profit, investment, returns, but not much mention of tenants, other than them being a source of income.
It's could be a fairly big source of income judging by the private registration 'EA51ELD' silver 4x4 I saw on Abbey Street yesterday.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2010, 08:33   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
We all make mistakes. Including yourself. I still welcome the informed discussion.
That should read 'misinformed', there being at least two factual inaccuracies, posted so far.

Still, I suppose it's hard for you to comprehend those, with your track record for not posting the correct facts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:36   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It's could be a fairly big source of income judging by the private registration 'EA51ELD' silver 4x4 I saw on Abbey Street yesterday.

Lol, let's not judge someone by what they drive, or get diverted by discussing 4 x 4 drivers.

Old 15-04-2010, 08:37   #109
God Member

Quote:
That should read 'misinformed', there being at least two factual inaccuracies, posted so far.

Still, I suppose it's hard for you to comprehend those, with your track record for not posting the correct facts.
You must find it hard to comprehend then.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:38   #110
Common Sense Member

Quote:

Lol, let's not judge someone by what they drive, or get diverted by discussing 4 x 4 drivers.

Merely a comparative observation. Any correlation you're assuming between my post and any discussions (present or past) is purely in your imagination....

Old 15-04-2010, 08:57   #111
God Member

On 'profit'. You're talking as if it's evil or wrong.

Next you'll be outside the fruit and veg stalls on Accy market with your placards because some are making profit off the backs of people needing to eat.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:06   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Next you'll be outside the fruit and veg stalls on Accy market with your placards because some are making profit off the backs of people needing to eat.
Not at all, but since Eafield decided not to follow usual protocol, and post a nice hello, in the introduction thread, but launched a waffling, inaccurate tirade, making no mention of the fact that he's a letting agent, and therefore has a vested interest in the subject, it is relevant that there is much talk of profit, investment, and returns on investments for abstentee landlords, on their company website.

Openess, and transparency, is so very often the best policy.

Old 15-04-2010, 09:16   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I for one welcome Eafield's informed contribution to Accyweb.
Quote:
We all make mistakes. Including yourself. I still welcome the informed discussion.
Well ya would welcome him seeing as he's a mate of yer mams, tells porkies, and probably was invited to come on fer political dirt, must be right up yer street.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:21   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well ya would welcome him seeing as he's a mate of yer mams, tells porkies, and probably was invited to come on fer political dirt, must be right up yer street.
Who my relations friends are or are not is no concern of mine!

Welcome new members to the Accyweb community contributing to the discussion that's all.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:27   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No councillor has yet let us know how many landlords were consulted. All we know so far is that Eafield was not consulted despite letting several homes in the area.
Quote:
'Consultation was carried out via:

Borough wide questionnaires to landlords (1,000 – 11% return)

Landlord’s forum meetings.

Information to East Lancashire Landlords Association (ELLA), Residential landlords Association (RSL) and National Federation of Landlords (NFL)

...the landlord questionnaires were posted first class to all landlords of properties in the Borough that could be identified.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ng_-_App_C.pdf
It seems a fairly thorough consultation was carried out with the landlords involved, and their related associations. Although only 11% of the 1,000 landlords contacted, bothered to respond.

Even though I'm not a councillor, as your post requested, there's no need to thank me for finding this information, as it wasn't very hard to do, and I'm happy to be of service.

Old 15-04-2010, 09:30   #116
Common Sense Member

Quote:

Without wanting to patronise you Andrew, you're still very young and probably haven't had much first-hand experience of people trying to fleece you to feather their own nests. Assuming you aren't a homeowner, just wait till you become one and find your own attitude towards the way companies operate change dramatically.

A fruit trader is making a few pence at best on a bag of apples, which have to be fresh and the stall clean and inviting for people to spend their money there. He or she needs to work tirelessly and spend money in order to make a living.

A landlord can buy a house cheap, renovate it to minimal standards, rent it out (the going rate for a terraced house in Rishton is around £550 pcm) and at the moment do very little else except watch the money roll in. Calls for repairs to the house can (and do) go unanswered and families with no option are saddled with a substandard home.

There are some very good landlords out there who run their properties well and look after their tenants but the bad ones drag down the name of the good ones.

Strict regulation on this is the only way to reduce the number of rotten apples on this particular fruit stall.

Old 15-04-2010, 09:33   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Without wanting to patronise you Andrew, you're still very young and probably haven't had much first-hand experience of people trying to fleece you to feather their own nests.
Not even a get rich quick, pyramid selling scam?

Old 15-04-2010, 09:48   #118
God Member

Quote:
It seems a fairly thorough consultation was carried out with the landlords involved, and their related associations. Although only 11% of the 1,000 landlords contacted, bothered to respond.

Even though I'm not a councillor, as your post requested, there's no need to thank me for finding this information, as it wasn't very hard to do, and I'm happy to be of service.
Thank-you Garinda. With such a low amount of responses from landlords and residents, I'm surprised you're not asking questions about consultation. HBC don't have a good track record for getting consultation questionnaires out to people. Only 3.4% of landlords and 7.4% of residents who were apparently consulted, thought that this current selective licensing of landlords plan was one they wanted.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:57   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
With such a low amount of responses from landlords and residents
Sending questionnaires, by first class post, to 1,000 named landlords, and receiving only a paltry 11% back, reflects more badly on the landlord's apparent apathy and indifference, rather than our council's attempt to consult them, and considering the other meetings our council instigated, with the landlord's forum, and various associated bodies, etc, it's not H.B.C. who come out of this looking as if they couldn't care less.

Old 15-04-2010, 10:03   #120
God Member

Quote:
Strict regulation on this is the only way to reduce the number of rotten apples on this particular fruit stall.
My current landlord is a good one. When I've had problems, they have been sorted. Of course my landlord is making profit. I don't mind that. He provides a product and service which I'm happy to pay for.

A previous landlord was not quite so good. They were shocking at getting things fixed and when they did come to fix things, would often appear in our house with their own key, without notice.

I would hate for the responsible landlord I'm with now, to be put under a selective licensing scheme with little consultation, just because my previous landlord was not a responsible one. There should be more powers given to tackle irresponsible landlords, rather than hitting the responsible ones.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..