Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 09:30   #1
Resting in Peace

Sell by date

It seems the Food Standards Agency are thinking about scraping the sell by date on food products because to much food is being wasted. For my way of thinking I use what god gave me where food is concerned, if it smells okay and it looks okay get it in the pan or slap butter on it
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44   #2
God Member

Re: Sell by date

i'm very much like that too Jay, opened a packet of oatcakes the other day that i bought last week.....they'd gone rather green, so i wizzed um

i go by the look most of the time, i buy one loaf a week because neither Reece nor myself eat a lot of bread and half the time the bread goes green cos we dont eat it, i think i buy bread more for the birds than i do for us
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53   #3

It's about time the F.S.A. got rid of "best before" dates, when i was young there was no such thing, in fact, i did not even see a fridge until i was 12 as they were still very expensive. The best before dates are only a guide anyway, i think it is more common sense to ensure the food is still fresh before it is eaten.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:58   #4
God Member

removing sell by dates will also reduce marker usage as corner shops will no longer need to alter the dates to make them appear in date

of course we need sell by dates , stuff comes in plastic wrapping these days so you cant inspect food properly , also dont fancy having to walk back to a shop after doing my shopping because teh milks off or get lumbered with a 2 year old chicken thats been stuck at teh bottom of a freezer

its not liek the good old days , our food comes from all over the world and not from the farmer down the road

i quite like been able to tell if my bread is 1 day old or 3 days old it makes all the difference

eggs could have a longer sell by date on them because they keeep way beyond what they print on them , i may be wrong here but i think if an egg floats in a pan of water it means its bad

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 09-06-2009 at 10:01.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
of course we need sell by dates , stuff comes in plastic wrapping these days so you cant inspect food properly , also dont fancy having to walk back to a shop after doing my shopping because teh milks off or get lumbered with a 2 year old chicken thats been stuck at teh bottom of a freezer
I get worried about you when you make sensible posts like this, have you been drinking?
Old 09-06-2009, 15:29   #6
God Member

I really hope they don't scrap the sell by dates!

I'll need somet else to whine at Simon for when he goes shopping and brings somet home that aint got a long enough date on!
Old 09-06-2009, 15:51   #7

If they did get rid of them it would make my job alot easier and save the shops alot of money.
It takes me about an hour on a good day and on a bad day well who knows,to price reduce stock in the co-op. Fruit and veg gets thrown away for no reason other than the date label says so. And its such a waste,peaches and nectarines that havnt even ripened,go in the bin,and the price meat goes for is robbery because the label says its 1 day left on its date!
And staff cant have them because its classed as theft so in the bin they all go !
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 21:31   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwo View Post
If they did get rid of them it would make my job alot easier and save the shops alot of money.
Maybe you would not have a job if they did not need anyone to check that none of the food was rotting on the shelves
Old 09-06-2009, 22:02   #9

I thought "sell by" had already been replaced with "display until". The latter also has either "best before" and/or "use by" date, which means the customer can reasonably expect a bit of shelf life at home from the produce. "Best before" just means the point beyond which it's still usable, just not necessarily as good as it was. "Use by" is when it's really not advisable to make use of it beyond that date.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 22:23   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwo View Post
It takes me about an hour on a good day and on a bad day well who knows,to price reduce stock in the co-op. Fruit and veg gets thrown away for no reason other than the date label says so. And its such a waste,peaches and nectarines that havnt even ripened,go in the bin,and the price meat goes for is robbery because the label says its 1 day left on its date!
And staff cant have them because its classed as theft so in the bin they all go !
thats why places like asda have a whoops shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I get worried about you when you make sensible posts like this, have you been drinking?
i fell on my head which seems to have had a temporary counter effect to been dropped on my head when a baby

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
i fell on my head which seems to have had a temporary counter effect to been dropped on my head when a baby
Do you need a crack on the head again to return you to your normal?
I am sure lots of people would join the queue to try and help you out
Old 11-06-2009, 18:47   #12
God Member

Quote:

its not liek the good old days , our food comes from all over the world and not from the farmer down the road
You can still by food from the farmer down the road. Butchers are still open, and you can buy things from dairy farms and such.

My friend Lucy and I grow our own organic vegetables now in the university garden and we got permission to have chickens on campus for eggs. The only things we buy from the supermarket are bread and milk, but we aren't allowed to have a cow and I don't think there is a local dairy farmer nearby and we don't drive and haven't got permission to have a cow yet.

We even incubated eggs in her room and now have 10 chicks. Good times. The chickens are rescued battery hens.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:13   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You can still by food from the farmer down the road. Butchers are still open, and you can buy things from dairy farms and such.

My friend Lucy and I grow our own organic vegetables now in the university garden and we got permission to have chickens on campus for eggs. The only things we buy from the supermarket are bread and milk, but we aren't allowed to have a cow and I don't think there is a local dairy farmer nearby and we don't drive and haven't got permission to have a cow yet.

We even incubated eggs in her room and now have 10 chicks. Good times. The chickens are rescued battery hens.
Pray tell us just what your going to do with 10 chicks blazey now you've rescued them from the battery I maybe getting on a bit but
Old 11-06-2009, 19:46   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pray tell us just what your going to do with 10 chicks blazey now you've rescued them from the battery I maybe getting on a bit but
Thats easy, you wait until they are nice and plump then pull their heads off and chuck them in the oven.
Old 11-06-2009, 19:56   #15
Beacon of light

Jaysay, I don't know if it is because we are of the same era, but I too, take little notice of sell by dates.
If it looks alright and smells alright and has no green overcoat on then we eat it......and I have even been known to cut or scrape any green overcoat off certain foods......and once the overcoat is removed, eat the food.
There isn't much food goes into our bin.....unless it is really manky
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..