Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 20:53   #1
Roy
Administrator

Arrow September 11th....

I don't think we'll ever forget what happened 3 years ago.
Here is a very moving tribute video.
Tis a bit upsetting mind you, but nothing we haven't already seen.

http://www.freedomrings.us/Tribute.html
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-09-2004, 21:32   #2
Accy Goddess

Re: September 11th....

That vidio brought a lump to my throat
and tears to my eyes.
It was excellent.
People all over the world.
Will never going to forget that fatefull day.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 22:16   #3
Senior Member+

Wow, thats an amazing tribute, isnt it sad how soon we forget those images.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 22:16   #4
Always EVIL within us

As Anne said, "People all over the world will never forget that fateful day" myself included, but did I hear right that at present, there are "hundreds" of British policemen attending a service in New York? If it's true, Why the Police and who is paying expenses? I am not making light the tragedy that befell New York that day and I know that Brits died as well as Americans and people from many parts of the world, but 3 years is not the "normal" timespan for a national remembrance service.
I can fully understand a service being held each year in remembrance and would expect a contingency to be sent on the 10th/20th/25th Anniversary.....but why the 3rd? I can only assume that large groups like the police will travel every year 4th/5th etc.
I know I sound cynical but I bet that the majority of those that went were of high ranking, not your average "bobby on the beat!"
Apart from my moan Roy, Nice one for bringing this subject up at an appropriate time!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 22:22   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't think anyone will ever forget those terrible images. I remember being at work when the newsflashes came on and the whole ward went silent. No babies cried, nobody spoke and everybody was just staring at the tv in disbelief. I'll never forget the image of the plane crashing into the 2nd tower and the sight of people jumping from windows.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 23:10   #6
Senior Member+

thanks Roy its still very fresh in my mind it was absolutley terrible its still fresh in my mind and my heart goes out to all the familys and all who had to witness it. It should never have happened and we still no closer to knowing why i just got my fingers crossed it wont happpen again i think its amazing how all those people can unite together to help each other it just shows what we can do when the need is there. This is said with hope my childeren never have to witness anything like this in their lifetime but i think that would be asking to much. Thanks again Roy may they all rest in peace Bless em...
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:17   #7

Talking Re: September 11th....

thanks roy..that was a very moving video and brings back what a sad day it was for a lot of familys around the world...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:49   #8
Always EVIL within us

The papers answered my questions this morning. 360 police went to NY and they paid their own way! My apologies. Also, the reason for the service this year was that the site of the twin towers is about to be built on. I must try not to be so cynical in future!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:06   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Busman, I think it is very normal to be cynical these days, considering that under normal circumstances, governments, councils, and any big institution like the police, health and fire services waste a shedload of tax payers money on a daily basis.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 20:23   #10
Accrington Web Mascot

I just didn't believe it was happening at the time - and I didn't realise the enormity of the event. The horrible truth though - is that these kind of things happen all the time, and we shouldn't tolerate small terrorists acts in poorer countries anymore than a huge terrorist act in America.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 20:56   #11

A very moving tribute site;I read today that the terror strike is still claiming victims,many emergency workers are now suffering illnesses caused by the inhalation of fumes/dust on that day.The article stated potentially thousands of people may be affected in the coming years.
No wonder America is seeking those responsible and those who support them!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 21:34   #12
Resident Waffler

Sad to say not all feel the same way. Headlines in one of today's newspapers announce that British extremist Anjem Choudary praised the attacks on the twin towers, calling those responsible "magnificent hijackers".

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 08:33   #13

"British extremist" - love it. Why do we allow fartknockers like Choudary the privilige of British nationality/citizenship - arrest him and his cronies then boot them out of the country, sell his 4-bedroomed semi-detached house in the leafy Surrey suburbs and Range Rover funded by the British taxpayer and give the proceeds to a 9/11 victims charity.

I turned up for tea at my fathers house after work and both him and his spouse were stood watching 9/11 on the news and I knew straight away that something very bad had happened as my dad isnt really a TV person - the only other times I'd seen him engrossed in front of the box was when Chernobyl exploded and the Space Shuttle blew up. After an initial reaction of "What the ....?" I asked if they had heard from my brother who was in Boston for four months on a Uni exchange and had told me before he left that he wanted to fly down to NYC for a day or so - Boston being the airport where one of the planes took off from, even though I knew the chances of him deciding to visit on that day at that time on that plane were slim there was still a chance and until I heard from him later it was a worry to say the least.

There is a DVD called 9/11 made by two French documentary makers (also brothers) who were filming with a FDNY crew for two months following a rookie on his first weeks on the job. For the first 6 weeks there was no 'action' - routine things like cats in tree and they were talking about cancelling the entire project until 9/11. They were actually inside the towers when they collapsed and it is all on film - amazingly powerful and moving stuff, it will make you weep with both sadness and anger.
Old 13-09-2004, 11:31   #14

What a difference...................

As some of you will know, I only lived in the Accrington area until I was ten years old when my family moved to Southport. I visit a site similar to this in Southport. You would not believe the difference in the people that 30 odd miles can make. On that site there is so much anti-American feeling and people are on there saying that they are sick of hearing about 9/11 and why can't the Americans just keep it to themselves and stop bothering the rest of the world. Other people are chiming in and saying that we should remember that some Brits died there also as if, had it been all Americans then it wouldn't have mattered. I have a mind to stop visiting that site and just visit this one where it is quite obvious that the people are so much better. Thanks to the posters on the Accrington web for being decent, caring human beings.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 16:13   #15
Senior Member+

Here's a glimpse at the global war for the future of Islam—and what it may mean for the rest of the world.

"Allah says fight" when Hassan Butt, a 24-year-old British Pakistani, enters a curry restaurant in Manchester, an industrial city in northern England, he is greeted as a minor celebrity, the other diners nodding and smiling at him. He is the former Lahore spokesman for al-Muhajiroun, an extremist group based in Britain. Since his falling-out with the group, the British-born Butt has had his passports impounded and is under surveillance. "I would fit into being called a radical, and one day, God willing, even to be called a terrorist, if Allah permits me," Butt says. "This is something it would be an honor to be called."

Butt says his goal is nothing less than to restore the rule of "central [Islamic] authority'' over as much of the world as possible, as in the time of the Prophet Muhammad and his successors. There is no way to interpret the Koran other than literally, Butt insists, and therefore no room for "moderation.'' If, in the Koran, he says, "Allah says fight, you fight. How can anyone take a 'moderate' view of this?" And as soon as he gets his passports back, he insists, he will be off to do as Allah commands. To his fellow radicals, in the meantime, he offers a piece of advice: "Be proud, be loud."

The overwhelming majority of Muslims condemn violence committed in their religion's name. Many Islamic scholars take pains to point out that the basic texts of the faith never sanction the wanton murder of civilians—the defining feature of contemporary Islamic terrorism. But rage is shared by tens of thousands of radicals, estimated conservatively, who span the globe, from the badlands of Pakistan to middle-class neighborhoods of Western Europe. In Britain, a recent government survey put the number of hard-core Muslim radicals at 10,000 and growing. A poll of British Muslims in March found that 13% believe that "further attacks by al-Qaeda or similar organizations on the U.S.A." would be justified. In Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country, only 15% view the U.S. favorably, compared with 61% in 2002. In Saudi Arabia, according to a recent poll, 48.7% of the population sympathizes with the aims of bin Laden.
The full artical........
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...692840,00.html

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..