Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Burningman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13   #1

Sequoia Tree in Rhyddings park

I've been told that the sequoia tree is to be cut down. What are peoples thoughts on this? I can't see it being a popular decision.
MrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2015, 13:18   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Sequoia Tree in Rhyddings park

Maybe the tree is diseased or is a danger to the public.

I don't like the thought of any tree being cut down, but sometimes it is necessary for the best of reasons.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 13:50   #3
God Member

If it's a sequoiadendron (Wellingtonia), these trees can live for 3,000 years, or at least they could before the arrival of chainsaws and Councils.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 14:20   #4
Senior Member+

Welcome to the nuthouse although it's nice to have an intro before launching into posting.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:00   #5
Senior Member+

It's probably,like M said,that the tree is diseased or dangerous.The council are chopping lots of trees down at the moment .

My advice would be to either scrub the green line off and hope they miss it or chain yourself to it in protest....PS welcome to the forum

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:07   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
I've been told that the sequoia tree is to be cut down. What are peoples thoughts on this? I can't see it being a popular decision.
Why can't you see it being a popular decision? Who said it's being cut down and are you sure it's true or just rumour?
Old 09-11-2015, 16:15   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
It's probably,like M said,that the tree is diseased or dangerous.The council are chopping lots of trees down at the moment .

My advice would be to either scrub the green line off and hope they miss it or chain yourself to it in protest....PS welcome to the forum
Most of Hyndburn parks were gifted by wealthy families about 100 years ago. Many of the trees were planted all at the same time and many now have problems and need to be taken down. Some parks have far to many trees in them for the size of the park including Rhyddings Park. When trees have to be cut down for whatever reason replacements are usually planted. Not always in the same place they were taken down but often in more suitable locations.

Scrubbing the line of a dangerous tree would be a stupid thing to do as it may then me missed and left standing which could then injure someone or cause damage
Old 10-11-2015, 08:50   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
scrubbing the line of a dangerous tree would be a stupid thing to do as it may then me missed and left standing which could then injure someone or cause damage
image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:53   #9

I notice that 2 trees in Whittaker Park, Rawtenstall have been cut down this week too.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:32   #10

Sequoias are amazing things that defy imagination. Here are the wife and kids in front of one in Yosemite. They should leave it alone and let if stand as a teachable moment for the kids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big-ass-treesml3.jpg (413.0 KB, 18 views)
odders and Stevie R like this.

Last edited by Neil; 19-11-2015 at 23:52.
Burningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 23:51   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Do you seriously think that is a suitable tree for a formal park in Oswaldtwistle that is planted to close to houses?
Old 20-11-2015, 00:26   #12

Do you seriously think that these houses, or the park, or Oswaldtwistle will be there in 2000 years... when this tree will only then be middle aged? It's a tree not a Triffid.
Burningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 01:56   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningman View Post
Do you seriously think that these houses, or the park, or Oswaldtwistle will be there in 2000 years... when this tree will only then be middle aged? It's a tree not a Triffid.
I doubt that tree will be there in 2000 years.
It keeps getting bits chopped off it trying to stop the kids climbing it. Before it was last chopped the kids were climbing it right to the top. It's lower branches were really springy like they were made of rubber.

Last edited by Neil; 20-11-2015 at 02:03.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..