Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2008, 00:00   #31

Re: Sexual Health Clinics in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I know a lot of teenagers who lost their virginities young and many who have had children early.

Obviously it isn't the case in all situations, but parents are much more lenient about letting their daughters go near boys. I am one myself, I think I would now how the modern teenage girl thinks.

I also don't think it is necessarily a bad thing if young girls get pregnant. My mum had me at 16 and I think she did an excellent job, and all the young girls I know with babies from school are brilliant mums. I see nothing wrong with it, but I don't think its sex education that is the cause of a rise in teenage pregnancies.
well you being a teenage girl yourself will know that if teenagers are going to have sex then they will find a way/place.you will also know that they dont take kindly to having there parents following them everywhere in your earlier post you seem to imply that it is the parents of these teenagers that are at fault.
bernie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2008, 00:06   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie94 View Post
well you being a teenage girl yourself will know that if teenagers are going to have sex then they will find a way/place.you will also know that they dont take kindly to having there parents following them everywhere in your earlier post you seem to imply that it is the parents of these teenagers that are at fault.
No not at fault, it is just that things have changed. Parenting is much more laid back these days, idea of letting children make their own mistakes otherwise they wont learn and that type of thing. Not wrapping children in cotton wool.

I think children should be independent, and the fact that the government are allowing these clinics is a way of parents being able to let their children do that in the safest ways possible.

I know very few people who have been wrapped in cotton wool by their parents, but it is them who have ended up the most naive and gotten into worse situations because of it, so I don't think that at all.

I hope your daughter enjoys her pregnancy like any other mum to be, and it's brilliant that you are supporting her through it. The fact that she is keeping her baby to me shows maturity and strength, and it is commendable.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:09   #33
God Member

Quote:
In some cultures they expect you to get pregnant young!
If you got pregnant now at 19 years old, how would that affect your chances of being of being Learn'ed council?
Defend what you have got not the cultures of some bygone age.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:13   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
If you got pregnant now at 19 years old, how would that affect your chances of being of being Learn'ed council?
Defend what you have got not the cultures of some bygone age.
It would effect them drastically, but I would have to accept that responsibility. I'm pro-life so I would struggle to go through with an abortion, and would probably make me depressed again if I managed to go through with it.

I know some excellent teen mums though, my mum is an example of one, so how could I ever say it is a bad thing? That would be shaming all the hard work my mum has put into making me the person that I am, and I could never do that.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:14   #35
God Member

The more I read of Blazey's posts I wonder where in the hell is that coming from?

Old 17-06-2008, 00:15   #36

Quote:
No not at fault, it is just that things have changed. Parenting is much more laid back these days, idea of letting children make their own mistakes otherwise they wont learn and that type of thing. Not wrapping children in cotton wool.

I think children should be independent, and the fact that the government are allowing these clinics is a way of parents being able to let their children do that in the safest ways possible.

I know very few people who have been wrapped in cotton wool by their parents, but it is them who have ended up the most naive and gotten into worse situations because of it, so I don't think that at all.

I hope your daughter enjoys her pregnancy like any other mum to be, and it's brilliant that you are supporting her through it. The fact that she is keeping her baby to me shows maturity and strength, and it is commendable.
thankyou for that blazey,she has taken to pregnancy very well and is keeping up her studies for her GCSE's and college.i hope she does very well the baby will not stop her getting where she wants to go in life
bernie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:17   #37
God Member

Quote:
thankyou for that blazey,she has taken to pregnancy very well and is keeping up her studies for her GCSE's and college.i hope she does very well the baby will not stop her getting where she wants to go in life
Top Marks for that.

Old 17-06-2008, 00:18   #38
God Member

Quote:
All the girls I know who have got pregnant from school are at college or careers, there is so much support for them now that most doors stay open in regards to careers.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:56   #39
Senior Member+

which is worse?
Teenagers having sex, picking something up and going to the sexual health clinic without their parents knowing or.... teenagers having sex, picking something up and not going to the clinic because their parents will find out...

Some std's can affect a person for life if they are not treated.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 01:13   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
which is worse?
Teenagers having sex, picking something up and going to the sexual health clinic without their parents knowing or.... teenagers having sex, picking something up and not going to the clinic because their parents will find out...

Some std's can affect a person for life if they are not treated.
Brilliantly put.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:06   #41
God Member

I was at school when we were taught sex education at age 11, at that point most of the kids didnt have much of a clue, after the lesson intrigue set in and kids were experimenting, so in my eyes it was a bad thing, when a young couple are unfortunate enough to be expectant, the lad usually carries on regardless, goes to work, maybe get a career, the girl is left holding the baby, no further education, no job and no prospect other than looking after children, the clinic is a good idea, makes the best of a bad situation.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:48   #42
God Member

I think sex education must have changed over the times derek if you got taught about intercourse at 11 to the degree where you would think to experiment.

When I was 11 we were taught about the biology of men and women, and briefly how sex was the way babies were produced. Scientific diagram of them going together, that's it.

Girls taught seperately to boys. Boys taught about ejaculation, condoms, girls taught about periods and condoms. Nothing associated with sex happened until high school and even then it was just touching outside of clothes.

Think most experimenting started around the age of 14, but it was because of the fact that some people where allowed house parties when their parents went away and there was alcohol present.

Taught sex ed a second time in a biology lesson at the age of 13, again it was briefly about the organs, nothing more.

This is why I blame the changing of parental attitudes and society in general. It might not be that you are feckless about what your ids are doing, but someones parents are letting their kids get away with it by allowing them to have free reign whilst they go away for the weekend or whatever. This is based on observing these things happening, not just a sociological guess. If you don't want to believe the only teenager who has replied to this thread about these observations then as far as I am concerned it just proves the point that the so-called responsible adults are just looking for something else to blame instead of facing the truth. I'm sure Emma, being not much older than me, will agree that a lot of it stems from house parties and alcohol, because I don't believe times have changed that much in the couple of years between us.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:16   #43
God Member

and my own personal opinion is......

i think its an excellent idea, simple as that, if it stops std's spreading then its fine by me, kids are having sex younger and younger nowadays, if they become aware of 'what they may catch' then to me thats a positive thing....i think girls/boys give in to peer pressure at such a young age and want to try and act older, this is going to sound so stupid but does a girl at 12/13/14 actually know ALL the facts of life? does she know about aids and std's, pregnancy and abortion? i think the word nieve springs to mind with kids of this age, Reece is nearly 12 and he already knows quite a bit about 'the facts' i've already told him about condoms and why its important to use them, when it comes to it the kids arent going to say 'i'm planning on having sex tonight mum can i have some money for some condoms' now are they? i know we dont like to think like this about our kids but unfortunately its a fact, its going to happen sooner or later and i'd rather my child know about it now...than never

Last edited by flashy; 17-06-2008 at 08:25.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 09:53   #44
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The sexual health STI statistics in this country are appalling. They are consistently rising, costing the NHS (the taxpayer) a fortune and mainly affect young people between the ages of 15-25. They leave long term health problems, infertility, reactive arthritis and death to name just a few. Any service which promotes condom use, treatment and the correct sexual health advice, whether at a drop in clinic, hospital or school can only be a good thing. It may save lives.........

Most of the HIV positive people I have had dealings with are under the age of 25.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 10:11   #45
God Member

well said Lettie
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..