Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2008, 16:13   #46
God Member

Re: Sexual Health Clinics in school

I find it odd that school staff are not permitted to remove a splinter or administer paracetamol without a parent's prior consent but they can arrange abortions for their young charges behind their parent's backs.

Something is very wrong.

We should be doing all we can to discourage under 16s from becoming pregnant in the first place.
It's never them that has to stump up the cost, is it?
It's always their parents or the state.
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2008, 16:54   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I find it odd that school staff are not permitted to remove a splinter or administer paracetamol without a parent's prior consent but they can arrange abortions for their young charges behind their parent's backs.

Something is very wrong.

We should be doing all we can to discourage under 16s from becoming pregnant in the first place.
A good post Lilly, 'tis difficult just where to lay the responsibility.

Problem is that nature tells a girl's body as young as 12 that she is ready to conceive (although not medically the best time), but socially not acceptable. Nature laws fighting social laws. I do think that it's mostly up to parents to accept that young girls do have sexual feelings and if it means shoving a condom in their school bags along with their lunch boxes, then so be it.

The school clinic is good too, as they can seek more professional advice.

It is strange though Bernie though isn't it, that with more information available doesn't appear to improve the situation, maybe as Blazey has said 'too much cotton wool sometimes'
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 16:59   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
The sexual health STI statistics in this country are appalling. They are consistently rising, costing the NHS (the taxpayer) a fortune and mainly affect young people between the ages of 15-25. They leave long term health problems, infertility, reactive arthritis and death to name just a few. Any service which promotes condom use, treatment and the correct sexual health advice, whether at a drop in clinic, hospital or school can only be a good thing. It may save lives.........

Most of the HIV positive people I have had dealings with are under the age of 25.
It is not just our own white children/adults either Lettie. My daughter has to deal with many ethnics in our midst, and says rife there too. Please not a racial remark at all, but even strict religions they have do not work.
Old 17-06-2008, 17:05   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It is not just our own white children/adults either Lettie. My daughter has to deal with many ethnics in our midst, and says rife there too. Please not a racial remark at all, but even strict religions they have do not work.
It is funny you should mention other ethnic groups. At college, the majority of the more traditional muslim girls where very immature about boys and sex, and they were much more likely to spend their time around the most popular brutish muslim lads giggling! It was so very odd!

Must admit that the more westernised girls had a much more responsible approach to men, and sex and relationships in general, and are probably the most mature girls I know in all senses.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 17:08   #50
Resting in Peace

What I thought was ironic is that it is not always the unmarried muslim girls ... mainly the married ones that have caught it off their husbands !!! Work that one out.
Old 17-06-2008, 17:11   #51
God Member

I think these ideas are just stereotypes.
Old 17-06-2008, 19:41   #52
JFT96

Not too sure about that, here in Morocco, a Muslim Country, there are very strict views on sex. However the club at the top of my street is filled with, lady's of the night and there are very few foreigners who go in there, Casablanca is not a tourist destination. There is a very strong undercurrent of sex in this country, on the surface it is a strict Islamic society, but everywhere you go there is sex for sale. Maybe not like in Amsterdam, but it is there okay. The local men are having a whale of a time. Recently down route, in Cameroon, Off topic i know but bear with me, the Purser had a 'Girlfirend' with him the whole time, he is married. Hope he used protection, the girl even offered to be my 'girlfriend' when I next go back. No wonder HIV is riffe

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 20:17   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Not too sure about that, here in Morocco, a Muslim Country, there are very strict views on sex. However the club at the top of my street is filled with, lady's of the night and there are very few foreigners who go in there, Casablanca is not a tourist destination. There is a very strong undercurrent of sex in this country, on the surface it is a strict Islamic society, but everywhere you go there is sex for sale. Maybe not like in Amsterdam, but it is there okay. The local men are having a whale of a time. Recently down route, in Cameroon, Off topic i know but bear with me, the Purser had a 'Girlfirend' with him the whole time, he is married. Hope he used protection, the girl even offered to be my 'girlfriend' when I next go back. No wonder HIV is riffe
Dip your bread in pal...........Second thoughts...The only Perser I ever knew was a seaman....I would'nt follow him at any price...If he went Port I would go Starboard.

Seriously....I wonder if sleeping with a Koran under the pillow makes it acceptable?
Malaya is also a Muslim country....I would guess that 10% of the female population are 'On the game'

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 21:30   #54
JFT96

Roy, no chance mate, I would rather go and play with Lions or Tigers than go there. There is a lot of Drug use down there and god knows what STD's are about. Also and more importantly I have a great Fiancée waiting for me back in Blighty

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 21:33   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Roy, no chance mate, I would rather go and play with Lions or Tigers than go there. There is a lot of Drug use down there and god knows what STD's are about. Also and more importantly I have a great Fiancée waiting for me back in Blighty
Good on yer mate........

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 21:43   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Something is very wrong.

Agree with all you say Lilly, does seem that everything has been done to educate the young of the dangers of unprotected sex yet still it gets worse. The thing that frightens me most is the STD's, that just puts me in mind of multiple sexual parteners. I do realise that kids are going to experiment but with several different people at that age it is scary
Old 17-06-2008, 22:18   #57
God Member

a slight wander ....but does anyone remember wax the displays "the effects of various veneral diseases" that used to be in the basement display area of Madame Tussauds (sp?) waxworks on Blackpool prom. Think it was adjacent to the Chamber of Horrors and young uns wern't really allowed in.
Madame Tussauds + Nation Geographic = sex education in the late 50s early 60s
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:18   #58
God Member

I only know one girl who got pregnant under 16, and she studies at college, has a job and her own rented home. Think she is doing quite well considering how difficult it must be to balance all three and put up with the pre-judgement of people who don't know her, I would probably go insane.

There are a lot of young girls getting pregnant young these days, but I think it is unfair to judge them all as one just because there are a few that get pregnant for the wrong reasons.
Old 18-06-2008, 17:41   #59
Give, give, give member

Let's just hope the schools have taught their pupils to read well enough, so that they can understand any leaflets which may be available in these clinics.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 18:04   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Let's just hope the schools have taught their pupils to read well enough, so that they can understand any leaflets which may be available in these clinics.
I don't think the education system is THAT bad just yet gary.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..