Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2008, 07:34   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
it really is the racists who seem to make a HUGE issue of this in that all of a sudden everyone will have to go through this. this is designed to sort out complex muslim issues within their own community.

i have a friend who was a victim of domestic abuse and her family went through such a court to get a divorce and it was granted in her favour. she then persued the actual domestic abuse case via the british courts as she wanted him jailed.
You made 2 statements above that show what is wrong with all this. Many Muslims see themselves as belonging to their own community as you stated and not a part of the whole community. It is this very separatist view by many/most Muslims that is causing many of the race related problems we have today.

You then mention the british courts, does this mean you believe the other courts are not British even though they are in Britain?

Thats 2 very seperatist and racist statements you made while complaining that people are racist. You are right people are racist, most of them from what you describe as being from their own community.
Old 15-09-2008, 08:48   #17
God Member

Islam isn't a race...
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 09:01   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
What has domestic violence got to do with anything, it says civil cases? Last thing on a victim of domestic violence's mind is compensation surely? I think I'd be concentrating on getting them behind bars!

I've never had a muslim try to convert me before either, I really should start paying more attention to my friends.
Its not often I agree with blazey but I do here.These courts can't rule on criminal cases, so in that respect I don't have a problem, but and its a big but, is this just the thin end of a very large wedge, I tend to use the saying give and inch and they'll take a mile, nly time will tell
Old 15-09-2008, 09:35   #19
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Islam isn't a race...
Quite right. It's a religion.

Look at another example religion. In the Roman Catholic church a marriage is for life. Two people can get divorced by British Law but by 'Catholic Law' they are still married and would not be permitted to marry anyone else IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH - but they are legally quite free to marry by law.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 10:00   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Quite right. It's a religion.

Look at another example religion. In the Roman Catholic church a marriage is for life. Two people can get divorced by British Law but by 'Catholic Law' they are still married and would not be permitted to marry anyone else IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH - but they are legally quite free to marry by law.
the catholic church does not recognise any marriage that took place any where other than a catholic church, so if you got married in a registry office then got divorced you would be able to get married in church.....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 10:45   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Islam isn't a race...
Very true but it is easier to say racist when we really mean religiously prejudiced.

Its easier to spell as well
Old 15-09-2008, 12:21   #22
God Member

fair enough
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:02   #23

On the Observer web site there is a section for ex pats and it gives a drop down list of 5 reasons for leaving Accrington 1/ retired 2/ working 3/ tax reasons 4/ weather/lifestyle
5/ no reason.Almost all have put no reason number 5 Thats because my guess is the majority like myself left because of the same reason which the observer wont put in the list.When honesty can not be allowed because it may be interpreted racist by some. It is a sad day for all.
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:16   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
FYI i have a friend who was a victim of domestic abuse and her family went through such a court to get a divorce and it was granted in her favour. she then persued the actual domestic abuse case via the british courts as she wanted him jailed. this court doesnt have the power to do that.

i also have a muslim friend who went through domestic abuse from her husband, he stabbed her with a pair of scissors some years ago, she is now divorced and has only recently moved back to accy
Old 15-09-2008, 17:37   #25
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
On the Observer web site there is a section for ex pats and it gives a drop down list of 5 reasons for leaving Accrington 1/ retired 2/ working 3/ tax reasons 4/ weather/lifestyle
5/ no reason.Almost all have put no reason number 5 Thats because my guess is the majority like myself left because of the same reason which the observer wont put in the list.When honesty can not be allowed because it may be interpreted racist by some. It is a sad day for all.

Wouldn't they lump that under lifestyle?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:52   #26
God Member

I don't think sharia law is 'bad' from what I know of it, but it is simply 'different'

Nothing that breaches the Human Rights Act 1998 would be enforced from sharia law in this country, so all fundamental rights would still be protected.

I don't often have faith in our government but when it comes to the law and breaching rights that might put our being at risk then I do believe that we have a government that respects this wholeheartedly even if sometimes that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 18:47   #27
God Member

I live in a country of immigrants ... and most seem happy to live under Canadian law and the protection of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. There is a small group of extremist, you got it, muslims who pressure governments, provincial and federal, for sharia law for muslims. It aint going to happen here. The only groups who are allowed to have some form of local cultural and spiritual laws, specific to themselves, are the First Nations people. This is fine by me and a lot of Canadians because First Nations were here before the rest of us.

But, as I think I mentioned in another thread, for many muslims, religion and the state are inseperable, like it was in Christendom in the middle ages. In the western tradition, the anti-sacerdotal movement begins in earnest in the late 12th century, and was resolved in favor of the secular state by the 15th century with the firm establishment of the centralized national state. Long gone are the days when popes could depose kings, based on a few contentious verses in the bible. Laws are no longer the word of some god that not all choose to believe in (Sarah Palin comes to mind as one leading western political figure who doesn't seem to have advanced all that far from the middle ages in her political thought) I see this whole thing as a clash of two radically different traditions. Let's hope you guys don't lose the battle, or you will all be headed for some form of modern, twisted Canossa.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 18:59   #28
God Member

I am still failing to see why there is an 'Us Vs Them' battle all the time. Will someone please explain what is so bad about immigrants and how people determine just on sight who is an immigrant and who is a british national?
Old 15-09-2008, 19:15   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I am still failing to see why there is an 'Us Vs Them' battle all the time. Will someone please explain what is so bad about immigrants and how people determine just on sight who is an immigrant and who is a british national?
So close to the anniversary of 9/11, and you still can't see the "us vs. them." Anyone who can't see what is happening in the world has his/her head up their ass. And this is not a discussion about immigrants in general, but about something more specific and particular. There is nothing bad about immigrants. I'm an immigrant
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 20:28   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So close to the anniversary of 9/11, and you still can't see the "us vs. them." Anyone who can't see what is happening in the world has his/her head up their ass. And this is not a discussion about immigrants in general, but about something more specific and particular. There is nothing bad about immigrants. I'm an immigrant

So you mean us against terrorists? I get confused, sometimes I think we're going on about hating terrorists and then all of a sudden I feel like I should be hating some of my best friends. The jump from hating terrorists to hating all muslims seems such a small one recently... I do get confused when anything like this gets brought up on the forum.

9/11 wasn't an attack against England though was it, though I understand why you would bring it up as an example. Wasn't it 7/7 or something in London? That would've been a better example but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it.

Was that bombing in Manchester years ago by muslims? I was quite young then and only have very vague memories of it in the news.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..