Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 21:30   #91
Resident Waffler

Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
What theory of indoctrination would that be?
It's parents that indoctrinate children not schools.
But it is faith schools people are objecting to on the grounds that they indoctrinate children.

I would be happy if more things were taught in school as 'what some people may believe...' rather than concrete fact, and I'm not talking about religion. There are scientific and historical 'facts' which I was taught at school which I have since found to be somewhat dubious to say the least.

Let's not forget that the theory of evolution is exactly that - a theory.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2008, 21:33   #92
Passed away 25-11-09

Apropos of nothing at all; my younger daughter went through a religious phase in her pre-teen years. This was fine by me.

She joined the Brownies - Methodists - she's Brown Owl of that same troop now, and she's an atheist but she attends church parades. For about a year she went to the Methodist Sunday School but also went to the C of E parish church with school for carols etc. Then she decided she would like to be a Catholic. I said I would be happy to go to Mass with her (Catholic Church not far from our house) as, though now an agnostic, I knew what it was all about but, before it got off the ground, she decided to become a Jew. This stumped me as the nearest synagogue is in Sale but, if she'd been really keen, I would have made the effort.

In the end she decided that she was an atheist and I never tried to influence her, one way or the other.
Old 17-09-2008, 21:39   #93
Resident Waffler

She sounds a bit like me - I dipped into allsorts and even thought of Judaism too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 22:17   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Let's not forget that the theory of evolution is exactly that - a theory.
Err... yeah, a theory with a stupendous amount of hard evidence from millions of years! Hardly 'just a theory' as you infer it to be.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 22:21   #95
God Member

It was theory when Darwin thought of it, and has been proved correct since by fossil records and real life experiments into mutation in butterflies.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 22:24   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It was theory when Darwin thought of it, and has been proved correct since by fossil records and real life experiments into mutation in butterflies.
Darwin didn't just conjure it out of nowhere, he had his evidence too. A lot of it. Since his time the evidence in favour of evolution has been found absolutely everywhere. It's pretty petulant and ignorant to deny it actually.
Old 17-09-2008, 22:30   #97
Resting in Peace

Don't think Willow meant exactly evolution ... this is happening all the time now for people to see ... probably more the big bang theory ?

Had a discussion last week with someone who didn't believe in evolution and that we have been visited by aliens and this is the reason for blacks in Africa, almond eyes in China and leather skins in Eskimos, etc .... Inseminated during different eras .. you just cannot find the words to disagree with this can you. !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 22:38   #98
God Member

BBC NEWS | Education | Call for creationism in science
...but only in order to show that creationism has no scientific basis

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 22:41   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Had a discussion last week with someone who didn't believe in evolution and that we have been visited by aliens and this is the reason for blacks in Africa, almond eyes in China and leather skins in Eskimos, etc .... Inseminated during different eras .. you just cannot find the words to disagree with this can you. !
well i can finds words to disagree= ALIENS My Arse.
Old 18-09-2008, 07:28   #100
God Member

Whoever gave me bad rep saying religion is only for weak people needs to grow up.

Religion gives many people a good strong foundation and direct in life and I don't see how this is such a big problem. There are much worse things to base your life on, money for example.

At least religions don't tend to praise greed and selfishness, which is what society today seems to be a big fan of.

At the end of the day, you are born, you live, then you die. Everyone dies. That is fact. Who really cares what it is you base the middle bit on as long as it results in you being a decent human being? Even the most deluded religious fanatics I know are at least decent human beings so why should I condemn them for that?

For me, it doesn't matter what people base their standards on as long as the fundamental standards are adhered to. Shame it can't be just like that for everyone else instead of it having to be their way for it to be acceptable.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 08:35   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
At the end of the day, you are born, you live, then you die. Everyone dies. That is fact. Who really cares what it is you base the middle bit on as long as it results in you being a decent human being? Even the most deluded religious fanatics I know are at least decent human beings so why should I condemn them for that?
When things such as forced marriages, hushed up beatings and scorned upon homosexuality are permissable just because we're striving to be tolerant; something has to be done. The law of the land should be obeyed before any personal interests.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:05   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well i can finds words to disagree= ALIENS My Arse.
Jim Royal is alive and kicking
Old 18-09-2008, 09:48   #103
God Member

Quote:
When things such as forced marriages, hushed up beatings and scorned upon homosexuality are permissable just because we're striving to be tolerant; something has to be done. The law of the land should be obeyed before any personal interests.
Domestic violence and the hate of homosexuality is much further spread than just religious teachings, but whilst we're on the topic this country was once dominantly Catholic, a religion well known for it's distaste for homosexuality and unequal treatment of women.

We're also a country with a lovely grim history in the slave trade. How can we stick our noses up at one culture when our own is just as disgusting in comparison?

We claim to be more civilised than many countries and yet I keep hearing the 'when in rome' type arguments and I find it quite annoying because it implies that our way must be the right way, yet I just need to look at the headlines to see wide spread crime, suffering and the failings of the government that was chosen by our so-called 'we know best' nation.

Currently I would say we are in a bit of a national crisis and at times like these when our government is useless and nothing seems to be getting any better, how can we blame people for turning to God as one last desperate bit of hope and faith.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:52   #104
God Member

Quote:
And as an after thought, sharia law IS the law of some lands, should these homosexuals and beaten wives native to those places just bow down to the law then?

I'd rather people tried to change the law and I'm not even a fan of revolution. Sometimes change is surprisingly good. And dare I point out that homosexuality was scorned upon as a law of this land once? As was pregnancy outside of marriage? Abortion also?
Old 18-09-2008, 10:26   #105
God Member

The laws of other countries or past laws of this country are irrelevant. We're talking about Sharia Law's place in the British legal system today. Of which it should have no place or stature.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..