Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2008, 22:56   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

****** neandrethal, theres links missing on the yates thread n thats only 1960s, so this has no chance.
Old 18-09-2008, 23:21   #122
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
My point regarding the theory of evolution is that things which were once taught as fact when I was at school have since been disproven. I was taught that homo sapiens evolved from neanderthal man. Then evidence was found of neanderthal and homo sapiens co-existing. The 'earliest known ancestor' keeps getting knocked off the perch too in favour of a new discovery of an even earlier one. Evolution is far from being on solid ground. There are far too many missing links, not just the mythological 'one'.
We are on a continual learning curve.

You will never convince me though that Sharia law should be allowed in this country.

The more I think out it Sharia law is used in other countries to persecute people. Many things done under Sharia law probably breach human rights.
Old 18-09-2008, 23:34   #123
God Member

Blinkers take them off seems to be the message here but so many of us seem to be afraid of speaking out. Why should Sharia Law be adopted in this country? No need for it IMO but am open to education from folk who know better!!
Old 19-09-2008, 01:26   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Blinkers take them off seems to be the message here but so many of us seem to be afraid of speaking out. Why should Sharia Law be adopted in this country? No need for it IMO but am open to education from folk who know better!!
You're right, there isn't any need for it, but it shouldn't be simply because it is the law of countries that many people seem to think only breed terrorists.

We should be saying no to it simply because our own law is effective enough, which in my eyes it is.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 02:47   #125
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

Quote:
My point regarding the theory of evolution is that things which were once taught as fact when I was at school have since been disproven. I was taught that homo sapiens evolved from neanderthal man. Then evidence was found of neanderthal and homo sapiens co-existing. The 'earliest known ancestor' keeps getting knocked off the perch too in favour of a new discovery of an even earlier one. Evolution is far from being on solid ground. There are far too many missing links, not just the mythological 'one'.
Just because Neanderthal man and homo sapiens co-existed for a time doesn’t mean that one didn’t evolve from the other.

Although what evolution has got to do with Sharia Law is beyond me.
Old 19-09-2008, 09:18   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You're right, there isn't any need for it, but it shouldn't be simply because it is the law of countries that many people seem to think only breed terrorists.

We should be saying no to it simply because our own law is effective enough, which in my eyes it is.
You only needed this post on this subject blazey, instead of all the woffle you've posted before, your right our laws are enough, which is the point many of us have been trying to make. I do not have a problem people coming to live in this country, but when here abide by our laws and don't try to change our way of doing things
Old 19-09-2008, 11:16   #127
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You only needed this post on this subject blazey, instead of all the woffle you've posted before, your right our laws are enough, which is the point many of us have been trying to make. I do not have a problem people coming to live in this country, but when here abide by our laws and don't try to change our way of doing things
Not everyone realises everything straight away.

Maybe this debate has changed her mind on the subject.
Old 19-09-2008, 16:10   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not everyone realises everything straight away.

Maybe this debate has changed her mind on the subject.
God knows Neil, because I certainly don't
Old 19-09-2008, 16:21   #129
God Member

Quote:
But what you are talking about are the fruits of scientific enquiry, built on an incomplete, rather than a flawed theory .... I don't think that anyone believes that what Darwin concluded was the alpha to omega of how life developed and adapted ... it is those who disagree with the theory (the one's who prosecuted Scopes in '28, at the infamous "monkey trial") who come to the simplistic conclusions. The beauty of scientific enquiry is that it never stops discovering the new, and refining, sometimes discarding, that which has already been found. To dismiss the scientific basis for evolution is an ideological rather than a scientific descision.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 16:39   #130
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
God knows Neil, because I certainly don't
Sorry to disappoint you mate but there is no God
Old 19-09-2008, 17:17   #131
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sorry to disappoint you mate but there is no God
One day you will discover that there is and that we are created in his image.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 17:26   #132
Resting in Peace

Quote:
One day you will discover that there is and that we are created in his image.
Sorry Willow, love you to bits and respect your belief in your religion, but this one always bemuses me. Can't possible be in his image, as wouldn't need lungs, heart to pump the blood around and the most important bit .. the p*n*s, etc. Would love this one explained to me ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 17:47   #133
God Member

Even if there is a higher power (which I will never be ignorant enough to rule out), it most certainly isn't the cartoon-like Abrahamic God of Christianity and Islam. It should ring alarm bells for believers when more and more sections of scripture are being tossed out as utter guff as we learn more about our world.

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? And worship a make believe gardener?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 17:50   #134
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sorry Willow, love you to bits and respect your belief in your religion, but this one always bemuses me. Can't possible be in his image, as wouldn't need lungs, heart to pump the blood around and the most important bit .. the p*n*s, etc. Would love this one explained to me ....

It all makes perfect sense if you think of "Man" as a group of sophisticated androids and "God" as the superior beings who created them. Erich von Daniken had some odd ideas, perhaps, but..........I've often wondered.
Old 19-09-2008, 18:33   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It all makes perfect sense if you think of "Man" as a group of sophisticated androids and "God" as the superior beings who created them. Erich von Daniken had some odd ideas, perhaps, but..........I've often wondered.
Eeew West Ender, that was above my peabrain, will have to look him up ..

Irony here is that, Willow does not accept Evolution, however, for a God to be in our image (or vica versa), he's only like that because of climate, local foods, gases we breathe, etc. So must live amongst us somewhere.

We see evolution all the time, e.g. average size of shoe in a woman 40 years ago was size 5, beds in the middle ages were much shorter, back problems will disappear as the years roll by as we get more used to walking upwards.

Every creature on Earth is different due to the environment they live in.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..