Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2014, 09:08   #31
Senior Member+

Re: She asked for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Same way I do now, CB radio, although it's a lot quieter than it used to be. And it's not hands free
I wonder what the statistics are for lorry/commercial vehicles crashing due to being on the CB prior the RTA?

I don't remember seeing the media reporting this behaviour as unsafe either.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2014, 09:10   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Our generation had this silly habit of actually "Speaking" to people.
An ability that's sadly going/gone out of fashion

password--Accyweb
Old 23-09-2014, 09:13   #33
Beacon of light

Yes, by speaking to one another face to face, because when we speak face to face we are not just listening to what is being said we are observing non verbal cues......and these often soften the words that are being said.
You cannot pick up nuances in a text message, and that is why the Internet and mobile phone are a bad way of communicating.
Humans believe body language so if what you are saying is not mirrored by your body language, then your brain will believe the non verbal stuff over what your mouth is saying.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:15   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
.....I don't remember seeing the media reporting this behaviour as unsafe either.
Maybe that's because it's not illegal to use a hand held microphone connected to the dash by a curly wire that has a habit of getting wrapped around things like gear stick and steering wheel
Old 23-09-2014, 09:17   #35
Beacon of light

Quote:
An ability that's sadly going/gone out of fashion
But it hasn't gone out of fashion at all.
Face to face communication is still essential in many industries.....and you need to be able to communicate your abilities in interview for any job or career.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:28   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Face to face communication is still essential in many industries.....and you need to be able to communicate your abilities in interview for any job or career.
Not always the case these days Margaret, it happened to someone i know well a couple of months ago, He applied online, got a phone call a couple of hours later offering him the job. it turned out to be a crap job n hes now working somewhere decent, where he had n interview.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:32   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While the scenario you give requires/relies upon the ability to talk face to face,I disagree that it's not going/gone out of fashion.

Reliance on technology has killed the ability to speak face to face and extends to our homes and schools.
The dinner table, once the stronghold of family discussion as you well know, has been invaded by the new villain ('mobile devices') which saturate society. Teenagers have one eye on say Facebook while parents try and usually fail to strike up a conversation.
Texting in class is common now too, despite attempts by teachers to ban or integrate mobile technology into their lessons.

password--Accyweb
Old 23-09-2014, 09:34   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
While the scenario you give requires/relies upon the ability to talk face to face,I disagree that it's not going/gone out of fashion.

Reliance on technology has killed the ability to speak face to face and extends to our homes and schools.
The dinner table, once the stronghold of family discussion as you well know, has been invaded by the new villain ('mobile devices') which saturate society. Teenagers have one eye on say Facebook while parents try and usually fail to strike up a conversation.
Texting in class is common now too, despite attempts by teachers to ban or integrate mobile technology into their lessons.
Well if thats whats happening these days its poor parenting in my view. Teachers cant stop em they have been neutered.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:30   #39
God Member

Quote:
Maybe that's because it's not illegal to use a hand held microphone connected to the dash by a curly wire that has a habit of getting wrapped around things like gear stick and steering wheel
a counter argument to that would be that you dont need to keep looking away from the road using a CB radio and besides phones may not have a curly wire but they need charging up especially iphones quite regularly so a lot of people have usb/fag charger adaptors.

most folk reading this thread will remember phones before touch screen came along and wasnt it a lot easier to text someone? After a few weeks of owning a phone you could text without even looking at the screen as you could feel your way around the keypad.These days i bet half the distractions are caused by fat thumbs on a small touchscreen keypad and making sure auto correct hasnt sent your mum a dirty message.

not saying texting and driving was ok back then either but if anything advancement in technology has made the process more difficult and distracting

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:37   #40

Quote:
...Crush offenders cars and sterilise them so they don't reproduce.
Why? Does being a bad driver also make someone a bad parent?

Quote:
...The Government could have helped years ago by making bluetooth handsfree a requirement in all new cars. It would only have added a few pounds to the cost of the radio...
That's wishful thinking. Airbags and seatbelts are mandated and installed in the hope that they are never needed because they are protection during a crash. Expecting the manufacturer to spend a few extra pounds per car on a feature that won't be used by everyone is not going to be welcomed because they are only marginally useful in preventing a crash. Let's face it, drivers are already legally obliged to leave their handset alone while driving, but many don't. I drive from Great Harwood to Blackburn and back every day, and my dashcam always manage to film someone on their phone. I'm sure more would pair up the car radio so they could use their music collection than would use it as a safety feature.

Don't forget, Chevrolet manufactured a car in the late 70s and deliberately left the fuel tank dangerously close to the car rear, because the cost of moving it ($8.59 per vehicle sold) was so much higher than the expected cost of lawsuits from the families of those burned to death after rear-end collisions ($2.40 per vehicle sold). While safety has become a selling point since those days, the car industry still tries to shave pennies of the component costs on mass-produced cars.

Edit: Incidentally, Chevy's plan backfired massively. They ended up paying out $1.2 billion (on appeal) in total.
Eric likes this.

Last edited by Studio25; 23-09-2014 at 10:41.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:04   #41
Senior Member+

Sorry, I didn't watch the clip S25.

To answer your question,the answer is no but, a person who texts while driving putting others at risk is 'irresponsible' and there is a good chance that said irresponsibility also reflects in the home environment and for a irresponsible soul to go on and have kids is a bad idea Imo

password--Accyweb
Old 23-09-2014, 11:06   #42
Beacon of light

Quote:

I do not doubt that for a moment, but many jobs out there require face to face conversation, personal interaction.......so it is in the interests of these youngsters to maintain the ability to communicate in person.
Texting in class should be easy to solve.......ban mobile phones in the classroom. Why on earth does a child need to have their phone with them in the classroom?
I find it very sad that some teens prefer to communicate in such a manner....verbal skills are only developed by actual use of them....interpersonal skills are only honed when you can see the face and the reactions of the person you are speaking to.....and that is one reason why I find the increasing use of the full face veil disturbing.
Old 23-09-2014, 11:17   #43
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: She asked for it ...

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't watch the clip S25.

To answer your question,the answer is no but, a person who texts while driving putting others at risk is 'irresponsible' and there is a good chance that said irresponsibility also reflects in the home environment and for a irresponsible soul to go on and have kids is a bad idea Imo
I hope this means your still a Virgin.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:25   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I hope this means your still a Virgin.
See you next Tuesday

password--Accyweb
Old 23-09-2014, 11:32   #45
Senior Member+

I have a factory fitted hands free phone set up in my car but never try to make a call when driving, even though it's just a case of clicking a button until a name comes up on the screen I want to speak to.
I have reached a ripe old age and want to get riper and in my mind being distracted while driving is one way to get plucked from the tree of life.
To text while driving is even worse and it should be an instant driving ban.
But once again, who is policing the law, nobody.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..