Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2014, 18:37   #1
God Member

She asked for it ...

And she deserved it.

Emily Bernauer died due in part to texting while driving - Windsor - CBC News

And "guardian angel" my ass ... thank god she didn't kill anyone but herself. One less inconsiderate, dangerous idiot on the road.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2014, 18:59   #2
Senior Member+

Re: She asked for it ...

bit harsh
yerself likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:12   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
bit harsh
Not when you consider that distracted drivers put others at risk ... I don't want to end up in emerg., or on a slab, just 'cause some clown thinks he/she has a god given right to have a bs text conversation with his/her bff ... sorry about the short form I don't know how the figures shape up over there, but in Canada, distracted driving is responsible for more fatalities than impaired driving and speeding.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:24   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

So someone being killed or maimed by one of these selfish gits aint harsh?
flashy, Eric, Barrie Yates and 1 others like this.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:44   #5

Well I think she's learnt that lesson the hard way without hurting anyone else besides her own Family.

RIP it was no age to leave this world.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:45   #6
Beacon of light

What text is important enough to lose your life for?
And if it was so important then what was wrong with pulling over to text?
I see so many folk making calls whilst driving...and how many are caught and fined?
It should not be a case of a fine it should be the confiscation of the vehicle and a driving ban.(and if the vehicle doesn't belong to the one driving, it should make no difference,the driver should have to make reparation to the owner)
It is OK passing laws, but when they are not enforced then they might just as well never have been passed in the first place.
Less, flashy, cashman and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:41   #7
Senior Member+

Personally i wouldn't wish death on anyone and regardless of what figures say one death caused by some pillock that's texting while driving is one to many....

....if it was your child or relative it would be.

Crush offenders cars and sterilise them so they don't reproduce.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 21:25   #8
Beacon of light

I wouldn't wish death on anyone either.....I sometimes wonder if young people take risks because they feel immortal, like death is something that can't happen to them.....or whether they just haven't enough life experience to see the dangers.
Whichever it is, it does not affect the way this girls family will be feeling right now. All that potential lost in an instant of thoughtlessness.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 21:46   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: She asked for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I wouldn't wish death on anyone either.....I sometimes wonder if young people take risks because they feel immortal, like death is something that can't happen to them.....or whether they just haven't enough life experience to see the dangers.
Whichever it is, it does not affect the way this girls family will be feeling right now. All that potential lost in an instant of thoughtlessness.
It's not just the young that are guilty of this obsession to text whilst driving, it can be observed being done by all ages and classes.
Of course when I say it can be observed, there is a group of people that seem to have a blind spot so far as this crime is concerned, they are the traffic police.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 22:24   #10
Full Member+

I was once a passenger in a car that had a very near miss with someone talking on a mobile whilst driving. Selfish cretin could have killed us, he merely swerved back to his side of the road at the last minute and carried on. Why do people feel the need to constantly talk when they're supposed to be concentrating on something else as important as driving a car?
Old 22-09-2014, 22:49   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Personally i wouldn't wish death on anyone

....if it was your child or relative it would be.
I doubt that anyone "wished" her death ... If asked my opinion, I would have wished her a long, happy and fulfilling life.

And she was someone's child and relative; no doubt, she also had friends. They are the innocent victims of, as Cashy accurately observed, her "selfishness."
Less and flashy like this.
Old 22-09-2014, 23:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I was once a passenger in a car that had a very near miss with someone talking on a mobile whilst driving. Selfish cretin could have killed us, he merely swerved back to his side of the road at the last minute and carried on. Why do people feel the need to constantly talk when they're supposed to be concentrating on something else as important as driving a car?

hands free kits may be expensive when you get factory fitted but you can get a blutooth earpeace for under £10 to use when in your car so theres not much excuse for not sorting something out because if you can afford to own and run a car you should be able to afford a tenner.

mind you another feature i like to employ is getting the kids to answer my phone and stick it on loud speaker but then again there some morons out there that think you shouldnt even speak to anyone next to you in a car when driving which in my opinion would make off road rally rather dangerous
putsinker likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 23:12   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: She asked for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
hands free kits may be expensive when you get factory fitted but you can get a blutooth earpeace for under £10 to use when in your car so theres not much excuse for not sorting something out because if you can afford to own and run a car you should be able to afford a tenner.

mind you another feature i like to employ is getting the kids to answer my phone and stick it on loud speaker but then again there some morons out there that think you shouldnt even speak to anyone next to you in a car when driving which in my opinion would make off road rally rather dangerous
My lesson was learned in the early 90's, I was always driving somewhere, issued a brick so the boss could keep in touch.

Back then although it should have been, it wasn't obvious about the dangers. (We were learning).
I answered the phone just as I was about to turn right (almost into oncoming traffic), fortunately my passenger squealed in panic and I was able to correct my mistake.
Ever since then, unless hands free connected the mobile in a car is out of reach.
Having said that, even hands free, it can be a distraction.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 23:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
there some morons out there that think you shouldnt even speak to anyone next to you in a car when driving
Often, it's not the act of conversing, whether with hands free phone or to your fellow travelers, which is dangerous, it's the content of the conversation that decreases concentration and increases risk. If you answer your cell phone (hands free) and someone asks you when you will be home, no problemo. But, if you answer and someone tells you your house is ablaze and your family is trapped inside ... now that kinda takes your mind of driving.

But, in general, I agree that there are limits to what the law can, or should do. Common sense has to enter into the equation. But stricter laws, and enforcement, on texting are a must. Hundreds are dying on the roads ... thousands mourn them .... and many are left to handle the rest of their lives with shattered bodies.
Less and Studio25 like this.
Old 22-09-2014, 23:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
hands free kits

Hands free texting
putsinker likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..