Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2018, 19:48   #1

Shop

Can anyone remember the name of the shop at the end of Wordsworth Road Fern Gore in the 1950's it was just before the junction with Willows Lane.
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2018, 14:35   #2
Full Member+

Re: Shop

No. But if you know Jimmy Ticker in Market Hall (next to the Stanley shop) he may be able to help as he used to live facing the shop on Wordsworth Rd.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 19:01   #3

Thanks Ferret man,I live in Edgworth it's a long time since I was in Accy.
Old 28-06-2018, 12:46   #4
Full Member+

ok Irene if I see Ticker I will ask him
Old 29-06-2018, 08:30   #5
Senior Member+

This shop wasn't far from where the Grammar School playing field was. We had to walk up Back Willows Lane via the Underground to gete there. We used it as a tuck shop
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 13:26   #6
Full Member+

Hi Irene, had a word with Ticker and this what he came up with Elsie and Frank Newhall.
Then after them came Mary+ Jean Carney. Hope this helps.
Old 29-06-2018, 13:36   #7
Full Member+

When Frank and Elsie Newhall sold the shop to Mary and Jean Carney's parents they took a newsagents on High Street, Rishton and later on took a second shop on High Street. Frank was a local hero for a time when he towed some cars away from some garages that had set on fire on Wordsworth Road I think that that would have been the early 50s.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 19:39   #8

Thanks Ferret Man,yes that's the one,I can remember the first bit of the name but couldn't remember the rest,thanks for taking the time to find out
Old 01-07-2018, 10:21   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
Thanks Ferret Man,yes that's the one,I can remember the first bit of the name but couldn't remember the rest,thanks for taking the time to find out
You are welcome.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..