Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2011, 13:01   #1
Senior Member+

Shopping vouchers for Recycling

Here you go, start doing more recycling and if we hit the target we get shopping vouchers in 2013!!

Supermarket voucher incentive for Hyndburn recyclers (From Lancashire Telegraph)

So hope your all gonna buy more to recycle more!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2011, 13:23   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Shopping vouchers for Recycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Here you go, start doing more recycling and if we hit the target we get shopping vouchers in 2013!!

Supermarket voucher incentive for Hyndburn recyclers (From Lancashire Telegraph)

So hope your all gonna buy more to recycle more!
I'm with the opposition on this one.

Not being a supermarket shopper, I'll bin mine...in my white sack.

A scheme that will increase footfall in the supermarkets, whilst our small independent businesses are struggling to survive?

No thanks.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 13:35   #3
Senior Member+

Exactly G, thats what I thought.

I cannot possibly recycle any more than what I do so why they telling us to do more?
Old 20-09-2011, 13:35   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i shop at supermarkets as well as small traders, but don't think its fair,so not fer me.
Old 20-09-2011, 13:47   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i shop at supermarkets as well as small traders, but don't think its fair,so not fer me.
Just because you cant use them for your bananas at farmfoods
mind you there will be no farmfoods soon
i am with cashy on this i do use the supermarket (tesco)only for stuff i cant get at the market or small shop locally but do most of my shopping on the market and small traders.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 13:48   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Exactly G, thats what I thought.

I cannot possibly recycle any more than what I do so why they telling us to do more?
'If' peoples' taxes are to be paid as bribes, encouraging residents to recycle more than they do already, the suggestion in the Telegraph, that the vouchers were to be spent on the market, is a better idea.

At least the town's businesses would benefit, rather than the shareholders of the big supermarket chains.

That million quid (+) bung Tesco paid the council is certainly paying dividends for them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:02   #7
Senior Member+

Yes that will be much better if the vouchers were for smaller businesses in the town.

It may also boost these traders as some people would come away from shopping at Supermarkets when they see what other traders are selling in the town.

Makes more sense.
Old 20-09-2011, 14:24   #8
Senior Member+

Yep i'm another one who agrees that the vouchers should be for use with the smaller traders of the Town & on the market, perhaps another Facebook petition might prove successfull ?? I cant organise it...but i'd support it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:24   #9
Senior Member+

There's something in the LT article which doesn't read clearly.
'The authority would be also be negotiating with supermarkets to see which ones offered the best deals'. Surely a 」10 voucher gets you 」10 worth of goods?
Or does it mean which supermarket will CHARGE the council the least to run the scheme? So the supermarket gets the custom and charges for the service as well!
What is the 」39,000 for? To set up the scheme? Explanation needed.
Why can't the council simply send a voucher to each household which can be used at any participating shop, store, stall or supermarket? Then ALL who wish to can benefit.
More explanation of this scheme is needed.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:39   #10
Senior Member+

Yeah Gordon I read that like the way you did.

」10 voucher = 」10 worth of shopping..........simple to me??

I am sure that the money being spent can change the vouchers to a "any shop" voucher?

There seems to be time to ask the local traders in the town to ask if they are interested in taking part?
Old 20-09-2011, 14:41   #11
God Member

This is crazy. Other than newspapers & mags, what goes into your recycling bags? It's packaging! Who are the worse culprits for unneccessary packaging? The supermarkets! So now the ratepayers of Hyndburn are going to financially reward the likes of ASDA & Tesco in order that arbitary targets can be met by the local binmen, while in the process even more rubbish is supplied from the same culprits.

This is the economics of the madhouse.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:47   #12
Caz
God Member

So the only ones who are going to recycle more are the ones that already do so. Unlikely to encourage those that don't bother, surely, because they know they are going to get their vouchers anyway if the targets are met by others?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:52   #13

I won't say no to a voucher to get 」10 off my shopping, but it would be fairer if they could be used at the smaller local traders as well as the big supermarkets.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:24   #14
Senior Member+

What happens to all the recycling that gets blown away in the bad weather onto the street?? Is the bad weather the residents fault?

The recycling guys do not pick it up so that wont be counted, maybe if it were picked up we would hit the target?
Old 20-09-2011, 16:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is crazy. Other than newspapers & mags, what goes into your recycling bags? It's packaging! Who are the worse culprits for unneccessary packaging? The supermarkets! So now the ratepayers of Hyndburn are going to financially reward the likes of ASDA & Tesco in order that arbitary targets can be met by the local binmen, while in the process even more rubbish is supplied from the same culprits.

This is the economics of the madhouse.
Agreed ... not much has changed since Vance Packard wrote The Waste Makers in 1960. Now our supermarkets are charging 15 cents for plastic bags And if you look on their shelves you will see that the real waste makers are the supermarkets and the food packaging companies, much of the stuff they sell is packaged in, guess what, plastic .... PCism again ... load the burden of recycling onto the consumer Make the consumer feel responsible. This idea sounds cute; but the effect will be to increase the profits of private sector marketing giants. Like they need the money, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..