Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2006, 17:46   #16
God Member

Re: Shops or lack of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
somone mentioned argos is good for toys lol

have you ever tried getting a toy from argos, they are the only propper source of toys in accrington and fail to keep enough stock to have items instock yet as they say at the till " we have them in blackburn and burnley "
You seem to be on the net enough to be able to use the check and reserve feature that Argos offer. TBH they are one of the few high street retailers that actually have a working web presence. You can see if its in stock at any number of local stores, reserve it, walk in to one of their automated service points and pay and be waiting for it at teh counter in minutes. I know, I've done it. Reserved online, pulled up at Blackburn Ice rink one, walk in, pay at auto till, and walk out with the items within 4 miunutes. Top service in my opinion.

As for teh original post, people want all thes quirly shops but we as consumers now want everything at rock bottom prices, The two just don't go together unfortunately.

What would I like? I'm not that bothered TBH, I do tend to be mpore willing to travel to places like Trafford centre etc than most people as its not even half the way to work for me so it doesn't seem 'that' far.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2006, 13:10   #17
God Member

My shops would be these:

1) Independant bookshop with internet cafe (with direct broadband link to GCHQ at Cheltenham, just to keep an eye on the local wannabe terrorists)

2) Lazer Tattoo removal shop (lets make a steal on Blackburn & Burnley). This will be very popular in the years to come, as all the little and not-so-little tartlets realise what silly pillocks they look like with butterflys/snakes/spiders tattooed on the crack of their arse. One opened up about 4 weeks ago just 200 yards away, and they're queuing round the block.

3) Sausage/Pie/Pastie shop.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:19   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
You seem to be on the net enough to be able to use the check and reserve feature that Argos offer. TBH they are one of the few high street retailers that actually have a working web presence. You can see if its in stock at any number of local stores, reserve it, walk in to one of their automated service points and pay and be waiting for it at teh counter in minutes. I know, I've done it. Reserved online, pulled up at Blackburn Ice rink one, walk in, pay at auto till, and walk out with the items within 4 miunutes. Top service in my opinion.
Oooo doont get me started about Argos, i used the reserve option on the web & twice now that has failed, most recently reserving an hoover to pick up next day only to discover that there was non left not even reserved, & another time i had to go all the way to Blackburn store because again the reserve option failed at Accrington & all they could do was opologise - so im quite sceptical to use it again besides it seems that whenever i want something from argos they dont have it suddenly unless im not bothered about it. So i would welcome a better alternative to argos cos i rate them about 4/10....web reserve service 0/10.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:22   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
2) Lazer Tattoo removal shop (lets make a steal on Blackburn & Burnley). This will be very popular in the years to come, as all the little and not-so-little tartlets realise what silly pillocks they look like with butterflys/snakes/spiders tattooed on the crack of their arse. One opened up about 4 weeks ago just 200 yards away, and they're queuing round the block.
Hehehehehe ... young women dont realise that having a nice butterfly or whatever on the naval area could look soo damn nasty after they have given birth - nowt worse than an out-stretched tattoo, suppose that applies to anywhere that is liable to put weight on or lose it lol

Think tattoo removals would be quids in definately
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:13   #20

I would love a good bookshop, Waterstones would be ideal. I love to browse round their shops and usually end up buying something. Have you been to the Waterstones on Deansgate in Machester? They have a coffee shop in the store as well, on a wet winters Sunday we often drive into the City Centre, browse round Waterstones and relax with a coffee. You can actaully take the books into the coffee shop to look at whilst you are drinking your coffee.
I must admit that I tend to buy most of my books from Play.com (as well as CDs and DVDs), they are cheap and don't charge post and packaging. Also the delivery times are very impressive too.
A larger better stocked Boots would be good as well. I was visiting my daughter a couple of weeks ago in Kent and went in her local high street Boots - the floor space is smaller than the Accrington branch, but they have a much wider stock avaialable. I can never work out why our branch of Boots has so little choice.
I also think a decent toy shop would be very welcome.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:43   #21
Senior Member+

i think accrington could do with a good lap-dancing bar

that wud bring the clientelle level right up and get rid of the chav problem
Old 15-08-2006, 14:48   #22
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Hehehehehe ... young women dont realise that having a nice butterfly or whatever on the naval area could look soo damn nasty after they have given birth - nowt worse than an out-stretched tattoo, suppose that applies to anywhere that is liable to put weight on or lose it lol

Think tattoo removals would be quids in definately
not to mention when they are old and wrickly!
jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:51   #23
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Oooo doont get me started about Argos, i used the reserve option on the web & twice now that has failed, most recently reserving an hoover to pick up next day only to discover that there was non left not even reserved, & another time i had to go all the way to Blackburn store because again the reserve option failed at Accrington & all they could do was opologise - so im quite sceptical to use it again besides it seems that whenever i want something from argos they dont have it suddenly unless im not bothered about it. So i would welcome a better alternative to argos cos i rate them about 4/10....web reserve service 0/10.
i totally agree i had the same probelm with argos online reserve when i wanted a hoover, in the end i bought one on ebay for half the price and it was delivered in half the time.
jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 15:26   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
i think accrington could do with a good lap-dancing bar

that wud bring the clientelle level right up and get rid of the chav problem
Lap-dancing is a bit old hat. We need the latest craze - shower dancing, on an artificial beach, indoors. Accy could have the first one in the North-West.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 15:29   #25
God Member

Those of you who do travel to accy to shop, why do you ?

To support those unique shops you need more than the towns footfall to sustain them. There isn't enough trade to keep them open cos as entwisi says they have to charge more, they can't buy in bulk. You need tourism, you need to use what you've got around the area, you need quirks like space ships, and a good canal with good facilities to attract people. There's already loads up there it just needs putting together and then a town regeneration plan putting into place to get a touristy type element to the shops, to attract them in from other attractions. To do it though you need an active group and the help of the council.
You could do with a town development forum, look in to development trusts. whatever group you have at the moment clearly isn't doing anything from the comments on here.
What does suprise me is that we have all of those small shops here, bookshops, cafe's, antiques, gift shops, a farm shop selling fresh pasties, pies, sausage rolls, we have a traditional butcher that makes sausage on the premises and sells local cuts of meat.
We've got no high street shops though other than a newsagents. we're far too small with 12000 population. Atherstone is very old and has many listed buildings, it also has many attractions in the area. I believe that coupled with it's booktown project makes it the ideal place to be a central tourist town.

Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 22:47   #26

Hello every one I enjoyed reading your posts made me sad in away cuz i left Accy 15 years ago . and by the sounds of it, it has gone down hill a bit. makes me wonder why when you have a great Town like Accrington. full of History, great people, great out door market why the idiots who have any kind of power try to change towns into one size fits all then when it's not working the way they thought it would they just bail and leave a mess. power to the people I say.
I hope to get back next summer so I guess i will see for myself what they have done to my town..
gem5665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 00:11   #27
I am Banned

:engsmil: sorry crabby,i have to disagree about burnley town centre being crap,there are more shops there than accy and there is an upstairs covered market and decent toilet and cafe facilities,also more choice of stores, not being petty as i spent 3 years working in the centre and it is a damn site cleaner than accys and not as many charity or pound shops :engsmil:
shotgun* is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..