Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 23:31   #166
Senior Member+

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

To press the snooze button when your too hungover to do it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Can someone tell me what is the purpose of a cat, other than to kill birds, dig up peoples' flower displays and then chyte in them?
Old 07-09-2012, 17:37   #167

I've not read the whole thread, because I don't have a spare three weeks.

I don't think it should be illegal to own a cat.
I DO however wish there was a licensing structure in place.
I wish it was illegal to breed cats without a separate license.
I just advocate responsible pet ownership. There ARE too many cats, they are affecting the songbird population and are interfering with wildlife-but also , for the welfare of them.
It's difficult to form statistics for feral animals, and animals kept as pets, but it's not difficult to tell that there are far too many unwanted animals, the RSPCA has reported many more 'strays' that they find or have handed in-and these are just the ones that they are aware of. I hate irresponsible breeding.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:42   #168
God Member

Cats reduce the population of mice and rats, who spread diseases which are more lethal.

Bubonic plague anyone ?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 18:22   #169
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I wish it was illegal to breed cats without a separate license.
Not sure the cats would be able to fill the form in. They'd be too busy having it away in other people's gardens.
Old 07-09-2012, 18:58   #170
Senior Member+

Does anybody remember "the cat man" ? that is what my mother used to call him. He used to live on Portland Street. He must have had 30 cats.(possible exaggeration) Accy's version of the cat woman from The Simpsons?
Old 07-09-2012, 19:20   #171

I haven't read all this thread so apologies if I'm repeating someone else's comment. I really like cats and all my life have always had at least one until a few years ago - my work hours don't allow it at the moment - but aren't they classed as vermin? That's what my mum always said, but she did tend to make things up to suit herself!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 19:22   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Does anybody remember "the cat man" ? that is what my mother used to call him. He used to live on Portland Street. He must have had 30 cats.(possible exaggeration) Accy's version of the cat woman from The Simpsons?
Don't want to frighten the kids but he was an ugly git

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 19:53   #173
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
There was an old lady on my grandmother's street ( Richmond Hill Street) when we were kids that lived on her own with uneutered cats in each room .When she died the house had to be fumigated.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24   #174
Senior Member+

I've seen intelligence in cats (like the above pic) which in my opinion excludes them from being classed as vermin. Domestic cats at least. When I was growing up we had a cat and she used to sneak in and hide in my bedroom. I would often find her under the covers with head popping out near the pillows. Seems that spending a lot of time with them. Alone. They pick up on things that get your attention. Like LadyM. She would stand on my alarm clock knowing it meant I would get up and feed her. She would sit on my laptop when I was out of the. room. But now she is with my parents she. wont have anything to do with me. Perhaps she feels betrayed
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Not sure the cats would be able to fill the form in. They'd be too busy having it away in other people's gardens.
Ah I am sure we could find them a feline friendly means of consenting
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:40   #176
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cats reduce the population of mice and rats, who spread diseases which are more lethal.

Bubonic plague anyone ?
Don't mind if I do .... a double, straight up, please, with a little water on the side, and a Sleeman's ale to chase it down with.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..