Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You've more chance of catching a disease walking round town
You actually catch more disease by human contact than anything else
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You actually catch more disease by human contact than anything else
Indeed that's why I have a season ticket for the STD Clinic instead of Accy Stanley.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:11   #18

Just another journalists scare mongering article with no evidence
SCIENTISTS SUSPECT,
MIGHT ALSO HAPPEN
IF IT’S TRUE
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36   #19
Resting In Peace

Like the music, not sure I'd want to do this to my cat though...

AUTO Cat Washer.wmv - YouTube
Old 05-09-2012, 13:01   #20
God Member

Have had cats for years -never had any problems. This is not a new illness - but then every living thing carries bacteria and viruses in any case.

No need to start ringing little bells and calling out leper!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 13:10   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Have had cats for years -never had any problems. This is not a new illness - but then every living thing carries bacteria and viruses in any case.

No need to start ringing little bells and calling out leper!
Par fer the coarse wi some.
Old 05-09-2012, 13:37   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
As a cat lover, maybe you should be made illegal.
Oh and I love dogs too
I've had a few cats in my time as well. One time I had a kitten that used to run up and down the curtains like a mad thing - is that normal or what?

The only obvious (not counting this disease) destructive thing wrong with cats is that they wantonly kill song birds and their young just for the hell of it.

Last edited by kestrelx; 05-09-2012 at 13:41.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 13:40   #23
God Member

Set me thinking - perhaps all animals or all life forms even should be banned! The world really would be a safer place then.

Dogs carry Nesporosis -causes cattle to abort
Badgers (according to farmers) carry TBC
Mice and rats propogate all manner of ills including some recent cases of Bubonic plague in the US
Cows can give you BSE through their meat
Chicken and eggs cause frequent Salmonella outbreaks
Rabbits carry Myxomatosis
Birds - avian flu just for starters
Pigs -swine flu etc
Mosquitos carry Malaria
Pigeons carry, among many other things, Cryptococcosis which is a potentially fatal respiratory illness which affects cattle and humans.

Humans -now lets get to them, all manner of ills they carry and share among themselves - 80% of all known sufferers of the nasty disease that pigeons carry, which I mentioned above, have AIDS - should we ban them too?
Or maybe they could all just walk round with a little bell to keep other people away...or failing that ...

Unfortunately the weaker members of any population are open to attack from many pathogens carried by many different vectors (The vectors are not all living things eg the air we breathe). It's natures way of keeping things balanced on the planet -ever heard of a theory called natural selection?
Start by reading about Charles Darwin , then maybe you could continue to research Richard Dawkin's splendid book The Blind Watchmaker...

If you are relatively fit and healthy you should be OK to keep cats as a pet so don't worry and for the weaker members of the human race fortunately there are modern medicines and vaccinations to help them in the fight for survival.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-09-2012, 13:44   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I've had a few cats in my time as well. One time I had a kitten that used to run up and down the curtains like a mad thing - is that normal or what?

The only obvious (not counting this disease) destructive thing wrong with cats is that they wantonly kill song birds and their young just for the hell of it.
Both behaviours are perfectly normal for cats -their agility and instinct to kill is another example of the fight, in the survival of the fittest.

As a rule any birds they will catch will be the weakest in their population - same again...it's all part of nature's grand design and makes up what is known as the food chain.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-09-2012, 13:50   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Can someone tell me what is the purpose of a cat, other than to kill birds, dig up peoples' flower displays and then chyte in them?
Because people like to cuddle up to them and they don't talk back or argue - just purr!
Old 05-09-2012, 13:55   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Because people like to cuddle up to them and they don't talk back or argue - just purr!
Cuddly, definitely -they don't just purr though -they are great communicators and very intelligent creatures, for that reason they are such good company.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-09-2012, 14:03   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cuddly, definitely -they don't just purr though -they are great communicators and very intelligent creatures, for that reason they are such good company.
i have a video on my phone, of my daughters cat, we were down at hers for her graduation recently, and she has taught it to sit, like a dog on command

i couldnt believe it thats why i recorded it
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:06   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Both behaviours are perfectly normal for cats -their agility and instinct to kill is another example of the fight, in the survival of the fittest.

As a rule any birds they will catch will be the weakest in their population - same again...it's all part of nature's grand design and makes up what is known as the food chain.
That's not nessararily so - I live in very built up area of London there are 3 cats at least in this area of about 100 sq metres. A pair of Robins built a nest in ivy and one cat set up camp below the nest and drove the Robins away.

We had a nest box in a tree and a Google Page Ranking of Blue Tits had chicks - two years on the run, again the same cat kept climbing up and drove the adults away causing the chicks to starve to death. The nest box has now been removed. So these birds weren't the weakest at all - just happened to be in the same vicinity of someone who happened to have a cat as a pet. That cat then took it upon itself to keep pestering the birds until they were scared away.

The then same cat killed a woodpigeon that had a nest in a small tree. These are birds that have no option but to nest in a garden where one particular cat is active. The owner by the way has no idea what her cat does or what it's capable of doing, just some stupid person who is not responsible for her pets destructive activities.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:07   #29
God Member

I don't think cats give a flying you-know-what ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:07   #30
Resting In Peace

Nice pussy cats - cuteness factor 100%...

BBC News - Rare white tiger cubs unveiled at Czech Republic zoo

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..