Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 14:09   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't think cats give a flying you-know-what ...
It will do when I catapult it!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2012, 14:13   #32
Senior Member+

Cats are great pets for people living on their own They don't need much looking after and they are companions for older people.Leave them alone.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:15   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Cats are great pets for people living on their own They don't need much looking after and they are companions for older people.Leave them alone.
In somewhere like Accy there is much more space with fields and so on. Here the cats only have other peoples gardens where they kill birds! People should have more responsibility for their pets and not let them go round killing birds.

Do you think it's OK for a dog to go round killing cats? If no! Then why is it ok for cats to kill birds?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:20   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
In somewhere like Accy there is much more space with fields and so on. Here the cats only have other peoples gardens where they kill birds! People should have more responsibility for their pets and not let them go round killing birds.

Do you think it's OK for a dog to go round killing cats? If no! Then why is it ok for cats to kill birds?
possibly because cats are "domesticated", and wild birds aren't

if it killed your african grey, or percy the budgie, i think someone would be as livid as if tyke the bulldog ripped up mr tiddles
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:20   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:

Cats are more independant than dogs and are naturally hunters and cannot be as domesticated as dogs.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:38   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:
People should have more responsibility for their pets and not let them go round killing birds.
It's easy enough to stop a dog from killing birds I would've thought. You simply take it out for walkies on a leash. But how do you stop a cat from killing birds?
Old 05-09-2012, 14:41   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's easy enough to stop a dog from killing birds I would've thought. You simply take it out for walkies on a leash. But how do you stop a cat from killing birds?
A dog can be trained. If a dog attacks anything it is down to bad training and irresponsible ownership, whereas a cat is a natural hunter and cannot be trained not to.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:44   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
A dog can be trained. If a dog attacks anything it is down to bad training and irresponsible ownership, whereas a cat is a natural hunter and cannot be trained not to.
Exactly. All you can do with a cat is let it out and in of the house. If it hunts down and kills birds while its out, its not the owner's fault for being irresponsible.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:46   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Exactly. All you can do with a cat is let it out and in of the house. If it hunts down and kills birds while its out, its not the owner's fault for being irresponsible.
It's just the same with cat fouling. You can't be responsible for it,but you can be fined if your dog does it.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:47   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
could be argued it is, i suppose, as cats don't "need" to go out, and can be kept inside, if you want your cat outside, then you could chicken wire your own garden, would stop birds getting in and the pussy cat, getting out
Old 05-09-2012, 14:49   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
could be argued it is, i suppose, as cats don't "need" to go out, and can be kept inside, if you want your cat outside, then you could chicken wire your own garden, would stop birds getting in and the pussy cat, getting out
My son has a seal point Siamese cat who never goes out as she cannot be innoculated as she is allergic to it. She is very happy to stay indoors. In fact if he opens the door she will run back in.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:53   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
I would've thought that cooping a cat up in the house 24/7 is cruel in itself. As for requiring every moggie owner in the UK to cover their garden in chicken wire, not really practical I would've thought!
Old 05-09-2012, 14:53   #43
Senior Member+

i am guessing that down-in-that-there-lundun, where kes is, there will be multitudes of high-rise house cats who don't get out
Old 05-09-2012, 14:53   #44
God Member

Right thats it, i'm off home to give Bella a good talking to and to tell her not to go after birds :|
Old 05-09-2012, 14:55   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Right thats it, i'm off home to give Bella a good talking to and to tell her not to go after birds :|
...and if she does happen to kill any birds while she's out, remember, you're an irresponsible owner!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..