Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 14:58   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Yeh blame irresponsible owners fer cats doing what cats do= be a cat.another pearl of wisdom from Bamber.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:00   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would've thought that cooping a cat up in the house 24/7 is cruel in itself. As for requiring every moggie owner in the UK to cover their garden in chicken wire, not really practical I would've thought!
depends if that is the regulation that was passed, then to be a "responsible" owner, you would have to comply with the regulations, i am sure we have many a regulation, that at the time people thought, yeah like that will happen

take smoking for example, if someone would have said in the seventies, you couldnt smoke in the pub, what sort of reaction do you think it would have got?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:04   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Then again maybe another poll? Should Kestrels be made illegal? after all they are a bird of prey.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:05   #49
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
possibly because cats are "domesticated", and wild birds aren't

if it killed your african grey, or percy the budgie, i think someone would be as livid as if tyke the bulldog ripped up mr tiddles
Quicker off the mark than me, I was going to post exactly the same thing.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:06   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Then again maybe another poll? Should Kestrels be made illegal? after all they are a bird of prey.
but they arent domesticated, are they?

or are we talking about falconry?

or are we just baiting other members?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:06   #51
Resting In Peace

Quote:
i am guessing that down-in-that-there-lundun, where kes is, there will be multitudes of high-rise house cats who don't get out
Don't know about London, but I have a friend who lives in a high rise in Vancouver. Her cat died recently at 15, don't think he'd ever been outside.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:07   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Quicker off the mark than me, I was going to post exactly the same thing.
beatcha 2it
Old 05-09-2012, 15:08   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
but they arent domesticated, are they?

or are we talking about falconry?

or are we just baiting other members?
Its called a sense of humour, summat thats by-passed a few.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:09   #54
Super Moderator

Quote:
depends if that is the regulation that was passed, then to be a "responsible" owner, you would have to comply with the regulations, i am sure we have many a regulation, that at the time people thought, yeah like that will happen

take smoking for example, if someone would have said in the seventies, you couldnt smoke in the pub, what sort of reaction do you think it would have got?
That's a hypothetical scenario you're talking about. A new set of regulations to require owners to keep cats indoors or festoon their gardens with chicken wire is not even being discussed, never mind put forward as a possible solution. Therefore, as it stands at the moment and for the forseeable future, you can let your cat out and still be a responsible owner providing you look after it properly.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:11   #55
Senior Member+

depends on the humour i suppose!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 15:12   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
That's not nessararily so - I live in very built up area of London there are 3 cats at least in this area of about 100 sq metres. A pair of Robins built a nest in ivy and one cat set up camp below the nest and drove the Robins away.

We had a nest box in a tree and a Google Page Ranking of Blue Tits had chicks - two years on the run, again the same cat kept climbing up and drove the adults away causing the chicks to starve to death. The nest box has now been removed. So these birds weren't the weakest at all - just happened to be in the same vicinity of someone who happened to have a cat as a pet. That cat then took it upon itself to keep pestering the birds until they were scared away.

The then same cat killed a woodpigeon that had a nest in a small tree. These are birds that have no option but to nest in a garden where one particular cat is active. The owner by the way has no idea what her cat does or what it's capable of doing, just some stupid person who is not responsible for her pets destructive activities.
Life and nature is cruel - Cuckoos lay their eggs in other birds nests, their one chick hatches out first and kicks the other eggs out and they die. I love to hear a cuckoo in the woods in spring -don't you?

My friend set up a nest box in the corner of her garden last year and they could see into it from the conservatory -when the eggs hatched a pair of Magpies came and ate the fledglings -she had to tell her daughter the little ones had flown!

The problem is the exposure of the nest box to predators and that has a human hand in the choice of the site...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:14   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That's a hypothetical scenario you're talking about. A new set of regulations to require owners to keep cats indoors or festoon their gardens with chicken wire is not even being discussed, never mind put forward as a possible solution. Therefore, as it stands at the moment and for the forseeable future, you can let your cat out and still be a responsible owner providing you look after it properly.
so what about the original point, that cats dont need to go outside, its not acceptable to just throw your dog out and shut the door till it comes home, is it?

as a responsible dog owner you have to take measures to get your dog out

therefore as a responsible cat owner should you not have to do the same?

its only cats doing what they do?, when dogs get out on their own they only do what they do.

and if members of the public dont like what your animal does, why should they have to suffer it?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:15   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Personally i think this thread should be in anything goes, Cos i cannot conceive that Kestrelx was asking this question seriously, i reckon the thread was just a wind up from the start, I could of course be wrong n he is that stupid, but doubt it very much.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:17   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Personally i think this thread should be in anything goes, Cos i cannot conceive that Kestrelx was asking this question seriously, i reckon the thread was just a wind up from the start, I could of course be wrong n he is that stupid, but doubt it very much.
was that humour too?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:18   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
was that humour too?
No n honest opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..