Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 15:32   #61
Super Moderator

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
so what about the original point, that cats dont need to go outside, its not acceptable to just throw your dog out and shut the door till it comes home, is it?

as a responsible dog owner you have to take measures to get your dog out

therefore as a responsible cat owner should you not have to do the same?

its only cats doing what they do?, when dogs get out on their own they only do what they do.

and if members of the public dont like what your animal does, why should they have to suffer it?
So let's get this right, you think that all cat owners should either keep their cats in the house 24/7 or cover their whole garden in a chickenwire cage...or is this just a wind up on top of another wind up?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:39   #62
God Member

Quote:
and if members of the public dont like what your animal does, why should they have to suffer it?

You could ask the same question about human beings. Give me a cat anyday than some of the vermin classed as human beings we have to put up with on the streets
Old 05-09-2012, 15:41   #63
Senior Member+

i never said its what i thought at all, refer to my original post on the subject of responsible ownership, i said" it could be argued", i never said it was my feelings on the subject.

and the argument i propose, is that to be deem as a responsible owner, then take some "responsibility" for the animal in your care, pitching it out through the door with any other animal wouldn't be acceptable as responsible behaviour, it raises the question that why should it be any different for felines

Last edited by churchfcrules; 05-09-2012 at 15:43.
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:42   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You could ask the same question about human beings. Give me a cat anyday than some of the vermin classed as human beings we have to put up with on the streets
but society has that dave, the prisons, granted a lot get a way with a lot, but the more serious are taken away from "the rest of us"
Old 05-09-2012, 15:43   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just thinking that meself. Instead of worrying about cats, perhaps we should be looking for ways to get rid of the scum that have now made Accrington town centre a semi-deserted travesty of a former bustling shopping area?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:43   #66
God Member

Quote:
but society has that dave, the prisons, granted a lot get a way with a lot, but the more serious are taken away from "the rest of us"

You don't get in to town much do you ?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:45   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
i never said its what i thought at all, refer to my original post on the subject of responsible ownership, i said" it could be argued", i never said it was my feelings on the subject.

and the argument i propose, is that to be deem as a responsible owner, then take some "responsibility" for the animal in your care, pitching it out through the door with any other animal wouldn't be acceptable as responsible behaviour, it raises the question that why should it be any different for felines
So explain to me how to be a responsible cat owner?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:52   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
You don't get in to town much do you ?
not if i can help it, and its nothing to do with the chav element, i have to work with them every weekend, face to face, and in their element stinking of mary janes tobacco n beer

its the lack of shops, and choice

thread wander alert

recentley i wanted a new os map, looked online whsmiths had the map online £8 (could be wrong, but lets go with £8) go down town to buy it, £14, as i pointed it out i was told, but thats a web only price, they dont have to pay for shops and wages, so thats why its higher price in store

i got a puzzled look, when i asked when she was starting her new job, as if it sounds like her employers were taking steps to do her out of a job, and be online only.

then got an "oh yeah", enlightenment was achieved!.

thats another reason why i dont use town much

unless i need some ties printing up for the Cup Final eh Dave?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:56   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So explain to me how to be a responsible cat owner?
its not for me to say, i guess its the same as owning a dog, you have to think responsibly, about your ownership.

if you live in a rural area with very few neighbours, i guess your level of responsibility would differ to that of living in a neighbourhood of gardens.

but what you would expect a responsible dog owner to do, you would surely expect to do the same, would you not?

and if this means containing your animal, then thats what it is
Old 05-09-2012, 16:03   #70
God Member

Quote:
not if i can help it, and its nothing to do with the chav element, i have to work with them every weekend, face to face, and in their element stinking of mary janes tobacco n beer

its the lack of shops, and choice

thread wander alert

recentley i wanted a new os map, looked online whsmiths had the map online £8 (could be wrong, but lets go with £8) go down town to buy it, £14, as i pointed it out i was told, but thats a web only price, they dont have to pay for shops and wages, so thats why its higher price in store

i got a puzzled look, when i asked when she was starting her new job, as if it sounds like her employers were taking steps to do her out of a job, and be online only.

then got an "oh yeah", enlightenment was achieved!.

thats another reason why i dont use town much

unless i need some ties printing up for the Cup Final eh Dave?
See there is one good shop, though printing maps on ties would be pushing it
Old 05-09-2012, 16:07   #71
Super Moderator

Quote:
its not for me to say, i guess its the same as owning a dog, you have to think responsibly, about your ownership.

if you live in a rural area with very few neighbours, i guess your level of responsibility would differ to that of living in a neighbourhood of gardens.

but what you would expect a responsible dog owner to do, you would surely expect to do the same, would you not?

and if this means containing your animal, then thats what it is
"It's not for me to say". What a mealy-mouthed response. You talk about keeping a cat indoors 24/7 or constructing a chickenwire cage round your garden. Then when challenged, you say those weren't your views.

Then you talk in patronisingly generalised terms about "responsibility".

Have you ever thought about being a politician? You've got at least two of the qualifications - you spout bull and you've got the ability to talk down to people without actually saying much.
Old 05-09-2012, 16:21   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
"It's not for me to say". What a mealy-mouthed response. You talk about keeping a cat indoors 24/7 or constructing a chickenwire cage round your garden. Then when challenged, you say those weren't your views.

Then you talk in patronisingly generalised terms about "responsibility".

Have you ever thought about being a politician? You've got at least two of the qualifications - you spout bull and you've got the ability to talk down to people without actually saying much.
yes i talked about those things, never once said they were my views, i said they could be used as an argument,

my opinion agrees with others on here, survival of the fittest, i have owned a cat, who thought it was fun to bring me pressies, she used to go out, adulterous thing that she was, would go to anyone who showed her any attention, the woman accross the back thought it was her "stray" for 3 months. i had no quarms about that.

i own a dog, i dont let that out on the street on its own, i do pick up his mess, i take him for walks, kick it when the wife does my head in(only joking,just testing if you were reading)

i have owned a dog that killed a cat, didnt find out whose cat it was, and me n the kids buried it.

it was killed in my garden that was fenced so the dog couldnt get out, i had taken all reasonable steps to secure my animal, i felt sorry for the cats owner, if it had one, but blameless, as i was being responsible.

as for patronising, dont get it, however thats how you took it, thats fine.

and in the last sentence i did try and answer your question, what is responsible?

i said at least the same as you would expect from dog owner
Old 05-09-2012, 16:37   #73
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I've had a few cats in my time as well. One time I had a kitten that used to run up and down the curtains like a mad thing - is that normal or what?

The only obvious (not counting this disease) destructive thing wrong with cats is that they wantonly kill song birds and their young just for the hell of it.
Kes, if you've had cats, did you take any steps to prevent them killing birds? Or did you just keep them indoors and let them ruin your soft furnishings?
Old 05-09-2012, 16:38   #74
Super Moderator

Quote:
and in the last sentence i did try and answer your question, what is responsible?

i said at least the same as you would expect from dog owner
Fine, only dogs and cats are totally different animals so what is "responsible" ownership for one species doesn't apply to the other. Any responsible dog owner wouldn't take his dog out except on a lead. You couldn't possibly take a cat out on a lead and bag its "deposits" as it went along. A dog which was put out of the house and left to roam could quite easily get lost. You can put your cat out and be reasonably sure that a few hours later it'll return home. So, in other words, you've still not given us a definition of what responsible cat ownership is.

In fact, your arguments are so ridiculous that I reckon, as I said, this is a wind up within a wind up. Well done, you got me to bite!
Old 05-09-2012, 16:52   #75
God Member

Cats carry their 'kill' back home as gifts to their owner.
I was a cat owner for a total of 27 years and only once was 'gifted' a bird.

Until cats can fly they find mice and rats much easier prey.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..