Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 16:53   #76
God Member

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No n honest opinion.
And right on the mark

Cats kill birds 'cause that's what cats do. Idiots post idiocy; 'cause that's one of the things that idiots do. Cats respond to reasoned argument by ignoring it; idiots do the same thing.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2012, 16:54   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Fine, only dogs and cats are totally different animals so what is "responsible" ownership for one species doesn't apply to the other. Any responsible dog owner wouldn't take his dog out except on a lead. You couldn't possibly take a cat out on a lead and bag its "deposits" as it went along. A dog which was put out of the house and left to roam could quite easily get lost. You can put your cat out and be reasonably sure that a few hours later it'll return home. So, in other words, you've still not given us a definition of what responsible cat ownership is.

In fact, your arguments are so ridiculous that I reckon, as I said, this is a wind up within a wind up. Well done, you got me to bite!
not so, and what is ridiculous, i take my dog out, majority of the time he is off the lead, if i ever see other people or dogs, i put him on the lead, straight way, there are a lot of dog owners out there walking their dogs who don't put their animal back on the lead straight way, i find them irresponsible, however i am sure there are things i do with my dog they may find irresponsible, its objective, thats why i said i couldnt define it originally, you took this as a "cop out",

if i was to pitch my dog out, he wouldnt go far, and wouldnt get lost.
the reason i dont, is the nuisance he may cause other members of society, my animal, my responsibility.

a cat will leave its deposits in a tray, and will live quite happily indoors as others have attested to, there is no need for it to be "running wild" sort of a contradiction of domesticated if its not in the domicile.

so please explain why it has to be a wind up, or why its ridiculous

and again i have given you a brief definition, the equivalent of being a responsible dog owner,horse owner,goldfish owner yadayadayada, you just didnt accept my definition, which is why i declined the chance to define it initially
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:01   #78
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cats carry their 'kill' back home as gifts to their owner.
I was a cat owner for a total of 27 years and only once was 'gifted' a bird.

Until cats can fly they find mice and rats much easier prey.
Right on the mark, Margaret. We were cat owners for 35 years till our last one died last year and for most of that time we had at least two. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a dead bird was presented to us. We had quite a few rabbits and hares though when we lived in the country!

PS here's a flying cat for you!

Weirdo Turns His Taxidermied Cat Into A Quadrocopter | Geekologie

Last edited by susie123; 05-09-2012 at 17:04.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:05   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Right on the mark, Margaret. We were cat owners for 35 years till our last one died last year and for most of that time we had at least two. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a dead bird was presented to us. We had quite a few rabbits and hares though when we lived in the country!
wich exactly, what we were saying about survival of the fittest, cats are predators, and birds, hares, rabbits, prey to other "wildlife" and in a country setting no problem with a cat running round, not much of a nuisance to the public
Old 05-09-2012, 17:08   #80
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cats carry their 'kill' back home as gifts to their owner.
I was a cat owner for a total of 27 years and only once was 'gifted' a bird.

Until cats can fly they find mice and rats much easier prey.
You shouldn't have let it out then. Very irresponsible of you!
Old 05-09-2012, 17:14   #81
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
a cat will leave its deposits in a tray, and will live quite happily indoors as others have attested to, there is no need for it to be "running wild" sort of a contradiction of domesticated if its not in the domicile.

so please explain why it has to be a wind up, or why its ridiculous
Forget it, I've taken the bait once, I won't fall into the trap again. Good wind up, though!
Old 05-09-2012, 17:16   #82
Senior Member+

Old 05-09-2012, 17:18   #83
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You shouldn't have let it out then. Very irresponsible of you!
Perhaps she didn't let it out, maybe it got through the hole an urban fox made in the wire netting she so diligently applied to every opening of her home?

Got to hand it to kestrel the thread was started as bollards meant to stir the brown stuff, plenty of success I would think with the number of pages resulted from one day.

Though half of it seems to have come from our latest wastrel, no real opinion just wants everyone putting in what he considers their right place.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:21   #84
Senior Member+

wastrel mmmm, interesting turn of phrase!
Old 05-09-2012, 17:22   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

How strange Less, yeh seem to have nailed it also.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:37   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Then again maybe another poll? Should Kestrels be made illegal? after all they are a bird of prey.
Makes sense to me cashy
Old 05-09-2012, 17:40   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's a hypothetical scenario you're talking about. A new set of regulations to require owners to keep cats indoors or festoon their gardens with chicken wire is not even being discussed, never mind put forward as a possible solution. Therefore, as it stands at the moment and for the forseeable future, you can let your cat out and still be a responsible owner providing you look after it properly.
One has to ask if festooning the garden with chicken wire would need planning permission
Old 05-09-2012, 17:42   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
One has to ask if festooning the garden with chicken wire would need planning permission
depends on the height
Old 05-09-2012, 17:42   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't matter anyway, it's just ChurchFC being a silly boy.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:44   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
and still no contribution!

you could have pmd me that message, but you felt you had to share it, share it so that someone will comment backing you up, making you feel right, making you feel just that much better inside,

hows that working out for you?
I only p.m. friends or people who need to know summat i am fortunate enough to know, I need no-one to back me up especially against losers like you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..