Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should cats be banned as pets?
Yes! 6 21.43%
No! 22 78.57%
I don't know? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 19:17   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Should cats be made illegal!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Life and nature is cruel - Cuckoos lay their eggs in other birds nests, their one chick hatches out first and kicks the other eggs out and they die. I love to hear a cuckoo in the woods in spring -don't you?

My friend set up a nest box in the corner of her garden last year and they could see into it from the conservatory -when the eggs hatched a pair of Magpies came and ate the fledglings -she had to tell her daughter the little ones had flown!

The problem is the exposure of the nest box to predators and that has a human hand in the choice of the site...
That nest box was used successfully for 2 years, before this cat found out about it, and then climbed up and scared away the adults for 2 years, causing starvation of the chicks. So the box was used first and worked.

Yep it's a cruel world?? So does that mean I can be cruel to a cat? if it's a cruel world then surely that's OK?

I might re do this and call it "Cruel to cats!"
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2012, 19:31   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cats carry their 'kill' back home as gifts to their owner.
I was a cat owner for a total of 27 years and only once was 'gifted' a bird.

Until cats can fly they find mice and rats much easier prey.
Well a female I went out with, had 2 cats and one stray tom cat used to come in to her flat over the balcony and she was always finding dead or half alive birds/pigeons in her flat. Cat hairs was the cause of the end of our relationship.
Old 05-09-2012, 19:41   #108
Give, give, give member

Since the owner of Accy Web started this forum, in order to stay in touch with Less, and various other village idiots in this part of Lancashire, to help prevent himself from pining away in that Russian prison camp, there for his crimes against fashion, I rather think some people really don't get this forum.

The very reason this forum exists is because some people missed the warmth, richness, self-depreciating, and sometimes scathingly sarcastic humour, that this area does so well.

It used to be such fun here until relatively recently.

Well, until the chuckle and grammar police tried stamping their little puss-in-boots all over it.

Happily the humour will still be here, in the area, and on this forum, when they've long gone.

Nine out of ten local nut house residents, who weren't dribbling, and expressed a preference, agree with this.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:43   #109
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well there's one thing I've learned tonight, Kes is definitely not on his own
What you think of me, I think the same back at ya! You aren't Mr Perfect/Right all the time!
Old 05-09-2012, 19:51   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Kes, if you've had cats, did you take any steps to prevent them killing birds? Or did you just keep them indoors and let them ruin your soft furnishings?
Good question Sue - I didn't keep them long enough. Had some in 70's and she had kittens and gave them away and can't remember what happened to the adult? Then one I had in the early 80's did catch a few mice and birds then I gave it away to a nice woman. Concerning soft furnishings in the 70's my mother was in charge in the 80's, I wasn't bothered; carpets and sofa's were scratched to bits.
Old 05-09-2012, 20:12   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Since the owner of Accy Web started this forum, in order to stay in touch with Less, and various other village idiots in this part of Lancashire, to help prevent himself from pining away in that Russian prison camp, there for his crimes against fashion, I rather think some people really don't get this forum.

The very reason this forum exists is because some people missed the warmth, richness, self-depreciating, and sometimes scathingly sarcastic humour, that this area does so well.

It used to be such fun here until relatively recently.

Well, until the chuckle and grammar police tried stamping their little puss-in-boots all over it.

Happily the humour will still be here, in the area, and on this forum, when they've long gone.

Nine out of ten local nut house residents, who weren't dribbling, and expressed a preference, agree with this.

Be careful what yeh say, Cats have a habit of scratching yer eyes out.
Old 05-09-2012, 20:19   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Be careful what yeh say, Cats have a habit of scratching yer eyes out.
Now, now, we'll have no blatant felineism here

And remember, cats were once worshipped as gods; cats have never forgotten this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:33   #113
Full Member+

One of the neighbourhood cats keeps sitting on my car bonnet! I daren't chase it off in case it panics and scratches the paintwork, so I walk up all casual-like and gently lift it off...resisting the temptation to drop kick it into next door's garden!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:50   #114
God Member

My cat has 2 Bells on her collar (cos she's th'pecial)...but she still brought a live bird in the other week, so thats that theory down the drain
Old 05-09-2012, 20:56   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
could be argued it is, i suppose, as cats don't "need" to go out, and can be kept inside, if you want your cat outside, then you could chicken wire your own garden, would stop birds getting in and the pussy cat, getting out
That's a good point actually why is it cats are put out at night, yet dogs are kept in? An old bloke near me walks his black cat round the block every day when he's able to!

I think perhaps it's cultural habit to put cats out at night to stop them ripping up the furnishings, were as most dogs will just sleep all night. Surely cats could be kept in caged areas in gardens rather than letting them go walkabout when the sun goes down. Just a thought!
Old 05-09-2012, 20:57   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
My cat has 2 Bells on her collar (cos she's th'pecial)...but she still brought a live bird in the other week, so thats that theory down the drain
Are they worn down? Or there are a type of bell that don't make a proper ringing sound but very muffled - sure they arn't the ones you have on your cat?
Old 05-09-2012, 21:21   #117
God Member

Kestrelx would you like me to put a piggin doorbell on her? Or maybe a bike bell? Or maybe even a horn?????
Of course they are proper bells you plank
Old 05-09-2012, 21:26   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Kestrelx would you like me to put a piggin doorbell on her? Or maybe a bike bell? Or maybe even a horn?????
Of course they are proper bells you plank
Don't get personal. I have seen these bells that are on some cat collars that do not ring they look like bells but are very muffled. The ones to scare birds are very loud - tinkling ones... The guy on Springwatch mentioned them!!! Who loves birds over cats!
Old 05-09-2012, 21:28   #119
Senior Member+

Our cat is in at night sleeps on the rad in kitchen, poos only in next doors garden so happy days.( We dont like them)
Old 05-09-2012, 21:32   #120
Super Moderator

Yeah, our cat usually dosses down at night, too. She tends to go out for a spot of bird homicide in the morning.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..