Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Hyndburn Borough Council be backing Pakistan in the Kashmir conflict?
Yes they should. 1 2.50%
No they shouldn't. 39 97.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Should Hyndburn be supporting Pakistan in Kashmir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Thanks Gynn, first sensible post I've heard on the subject.
Are you sure you were right, when you said I was supposedly the Tory's 'secret weapon', in the run up to the elections?

Looks like I might have been usurped.

Thanks a lot.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47   #17
Resting in Peace

The only issues HBC should be concerned with are the problems which occur within its own boundaries, if people come to live in our country they come with the intention of making a better life for themselves and their families, leaving behind their problems. I have never understood people from other countries now living in GB marching, waving banners and placards about something happening thousands of miles away, if they want to get involved in problem solving in the country of birth the place to do it is back home in that country, not here, end of story. Before motor mouth jumps in on a party political issue, I was once informed by a Labour council that when they are in charge they set the agenda and take all the credit, the book stops with the ruling group, they could have said no, but they sanctioned.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45   #18
Senior Member+

Reading the original motion, and the watered down version that was finally voted through, it seems that some Henry Kissinger style diplomacy was displayed by someone at HBC to produce a result that made everyone happy. The Asian community felt that their concerns had been listened to, and everyone else could live with what was agreed.

I strongly disagree with the assertion that the issue should never have been discussed by the Council. The Council is there to represent the worries and concerns of the local community, and when the local community consists of a large Asian community, then the issues that concern them should be aired.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Reading the original motion, and the watered down version that was finally voted through, it seems that some Henry Kissinger style diplomacy was displayed by someone at HBC to produce a result that made everyone happy. The Asian community felt that their concerns had been listened to, and everyone else could live with what was agreed.

I strongly disagree with the assertion that the issue should never have been discussed by the Council. The Council is there to represent the worries and concerns of the local community, and when the local community consists of a large Asian community, then the issues that concern them should be aired.
Gobledgoock gynn, HBC is the body that represents the people living in Hyndburn not 10, 000 miles away, if people who come from abroad and wish to get involved in whats going on "back home" the place to do it is not in the council chamber under the banner of HBC, sorry gynn
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Well it seems you're in a tiny minority.

Most people seem to think it's the job of local councils to deal with local issues, not international ones.

That's the job of national government.

If residents want to make their feelings known, about an issue happening on the otherside of the world, they should lobby their representative in Westminster, their M.P.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:01   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Council's purpose is to deal with LOCAL issues - not a situation occurring thousands of miles away in another country. Residents of Kashmiri origin may well be concerned about events in their country of origin, but that is NOT the concern of the local council.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Every fool knows that if Hyndburn had a sizeable minority of Hindu or Sikhs, instead of Muslims, the patsies on the council would have supported the Indian side in this conflict, condemning gang rape, and infanticide, carried out by the Pakistanis.

Hyndburn Borough Council allowed themselves to be used, to add weight to only one country's propaganda war, in the vain hope of securing votes.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Every fool knows that if Hyndburn had a sizeable minority of Hindu or Sikhs, instead of Muslims, the patsies on the council would have supported the Indian side in this conflict, condemning gang rape, and infanticide, carried out by the Pakistanis.

Hyndburn Borough Council allowed themselves to be used, to add weight to only one country's propaganda war, in the vain hope of securing votes.
Besides which, local council - local issues.

International issues - the job of national government, in Parliament.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:40   #24
Senior Member+

Let's have a look at the Council's Constitution.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...sed_Jan_12.pdf

Amongst the key roles of Councillors are:

2.3 Roles and Functions of all councillors

II. represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decisionmaking process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities;
III. deal with individual casework and act as an advocate for constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances;

Where does that limit them to local issues only? It constituents have a grievance regarding something that is happening in their community abroad, it is perfectly reasonable for their representative to raise it at Council.

Not gobbledygook, jaysay. Fact.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:

II. represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decisionmaking process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities;
III. deal with individual casework and act as an advocate for constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances;

Where does that limit them to local issues only? It constituents have a grievance regarding something that is happening in their community abroad, it is perfectly reasonable for their representative to raise it at Council.

Rubbish.

If people have grievances about international matters, they should lobby national government, who deal with international issues on our behalf.

It isn't the job of local government.

Or shouldn't be.

The last time we saw such stupidity was when loony left councils in the eighties involved themselves with various non-local concerns.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:05   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:

It could be argued, that when one of our local councillors was allowed to submit this openly partisan, and prejudiced motion before the meeting of the full council, they were guilty of not adhering to this stated responsibility of a councillor.

'VIII. maintain the highest standards of conduct and ethics.'

Old 01-03-2012, 11:16   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Reading the original motion, and the watered down version that was finally voted through.....
Was it watered down before or after the vote?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Was it watered down before or after the vote?
Well the following meeting of the Council agreed that the resolution was as agreed at the meeting:-

446 Confirmation of Minutes

Resolved - That the minutes of the Council meeting held on 10th November 2011 be approved as a correct record.

Presumably the legal opinion given was that the Kashmir item WAS a legitimate issue to be raised at Council. If we feel strongly that it shouldn't have been, we should be lobbying the Council to change the constitution.

In the meantime, we can't complain if any councillor acts within the rules. We can adopt a Daily Mail style of xenophobic ranting, but a more constructive path to go down might be reviewing the constitution.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:30   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In the meantime, we can't complain if any councillor acts within the rules. We can adopt a Daily Mail style of xenophobic ranting, but a more constructive path to go down might be reviewing the constitution.
It isn't xenophobia.

Most people seem to have their head screwed on better than you.

The vast majority of people understand that national government should deal with international issues, not local government.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...and if you're trying to attach the right-wing, xenophobic label onto myself, and everyone else who voted that Hyndurn B.C. shouldn't be wasting time on issues on the Indian sub-continent, you're way off the mark, and are denser than you at first appear.

Last edited by garinda; 01-03-2012 at 12:37.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..