Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Hyndburn Borough Council be backing Pakistan in the Kashmir conflict?
Yes they should. 1 2.50%
No they shouldn't. 39 97.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Should Hyndburn be supporting Pakistan in Kashmir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good luck.
Many thanks.

And Good Luck to you in continuing to flog a dead horse when everyone else has moved on. The Council put the Kashmir item to bed on 10th November. Nearly four months ago.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Many thanks.

And Good Luck to you in continuing to flog a dead horse when everyone else has moved on. The Council put the Kashmir item to bed on 10th November. Nearly four months ago.
Quite clearly, since one of the councillors involved, Ken Moss, spoke this week, making the first public comments since the council supported this motion, judging from the result of the poll, everyone on here still think this is a valid subject.

It's very apparent that everyone thinks a local council shouldn't be involving itself in international affairs.

I look forward to reading your new thread, about the lack of public attendance at this week's scrutiny committee meeting.

In the meantime, let's keep this thread to the particular subject being discussed.

The public wanting a local council to deal solely with local issues.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Many thanks.

Besides, six people posted in your budget thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...3-a-60586.html

As opposed to thirty four different members who have actively participated in this thread, since it's creation earlier this week.

Neddy might be lame, but obviously people still care.

He only dies when people no longer post.

So many thanks for continuing to post here, and giving the old horse breath.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:59   #94
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Many thanks.

Surely they didn't put it to bed?
I would have thought that their intentions were to raise awareness, to the subject?

Well they have, I for one am now aware that neither side is innocent in this and the Council shouldn't have been involved in the first place.

If you don't consider it worthy of discussion then don't join in, but don't try to stop others from discussing it with diversionary tactics.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Many thanks.

Crap the council may have moved on,but everyone else aint, no matter what yeh claim. as fer scrutiny etc, Major cuts were inevitable in this climate,n thats more like what everyone else knew. so if anyone was going to attend, would be futile.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34   #96
Resting in Peace

Its apparent that the members of this site do care about things which are undertaken in their name, when any statement start Hyndburn Council, it involves every member of the people who live here, not thousands of miles away, the fact that the council "put this issue to bed" as gynn says in November, it took nearly four months of questioning the decision to get involved in the first place, before a mouth piece from the council actually decided to have a say and explain their actions.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Crap the council may have moved on,but everyone else ain't, no matter what yeh claim. as fer scrutiny etc, Major cuts were inevitable in this climate,n thats more like what everyone else knew. so if anyone was going to attend, would be futile.
Ya cashy futile and wouldn't have made the slightest difference what so ever, nothing would have changed, maybe its a sign of the times, what with very poor turnouts at elections, nobody actually gives a stuff what goes on in the council chamber as its all party politics and political point scoring from both sides, maybe if they put politics second and the people first, we might just see some light at the end of a very murky tunnel
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Crap the council may have moved on,but everyone else aint, no matter what yeh claim. :
Who ain't, apart from a few people on this thread?

Is it the burning question in the pubs across Hyndburn? Are people marching on the Town Hall demanding action? Are the streets of Accrington thronged with people asking each other why the Council has got itself involved in International affairs?

No. I thought not.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Who ain't, apart from a few people on this thread?

Is it the burning question in the pubs across Hyndburn? Are people marching on the Town Hall demanding action? Are the streets of Accrington thronged with people asking each other why the Council has got itself involved in International affairs?

No. I thought not.
I have no idea what conversation in pubs is about as i rarely go in em, But as yeh thought not yeh must be a real pish head. cos you seem to know the answer.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:42   #100
Senior Member+

We seem to be going round in circles on this topic. Let's try and summarise so we can draw a line under it and move on.

An Asian councillor puts forward a motion to Council on an issue that has no direct bearing on the Council. HE feels he is justified in doing so because a section of his constituents want to draw attention to what they see as an injustice. MOST other people disagree, feeling that it has nothing to do with the Council, and should more properly be taken up by the National Government.

The Council constitution doesn't prevent him from doing it, and accordingly the item is presented to Council. The more extreme words in the motion are watered down, and the Council pass a balanced, fairly anodyne resolution.

Lessons to be learned? Maybe the Council should add a one line amendment to its constitution disallowing items that are so clearly outside the control of the Council. Maybe the Group leaders should step in to prevent such items being presented on the basis of the resentment they are likely to cause.

Whatever the lessons to be learned, let's learn them and move on!
Old 03-03-2012, 13:36   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We seem to be going round in circles on this topic. Let's try and summarise so we can draw a line under it and move on.

An Asian councillor puts forward a motion to Council on an issue that has no direct bearing on the Council. HE feels he is justified in doing so because a section of his constituents want to draw attention to what they see as an injustice. MOST other people disagree, feeling that it has nothing to do with the Council, and should more properly be taken up by the National Government.

The Council constitution doesn't prevent him from doing it, and accordingly the item is presented to Council. The more extreme words in the motion are watered down, and the Council pass a balanced, fairly anodyne resolution.

Lessons to be learned? Maybe the Council should add a one line amendment to its constitution disallowing items that are so clearly outside the control of the Council. Maybe the Group leaders should step in to prevent such items being presented on the basis of the resentment they are likely to cause.

Quote:
Neddy might be lame, but obviously people still care.

He only dies when people no longer post.

So many thanks for continuing to post here, and giving the old horse breath.
Cheers.

Thanks a lot.

I have a lot on today.

You've saved me a job.

The longer this thread's active, the more people will see what internationalist numpties we have for councillors, here in Hyndburn.

Last edited by garinda; 03-03-2012 at 13:41.
Old 03-03-2012, 13:39   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No one's forcing you to chip in with your two penn'oth.

People will stop discussing the issue when they see fit.

I, myself, might want to dicuss this debacle again.

Nearer to May.

Old 03-03-2012, 13:54   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No one's forcing you to chip in with your two penn'oth.

People will stop discussing the issue when they see fit.

I, myself, might want to dicuss this debacle again.

Nearer to May.
Na lets just keep it going till May
Old 03-03-2012, 14:09   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
An Asian councillor puts forward a motion to Council on an issue that has no direct bearing on the Council. HE feels he is justified in doing so because a section of his constituents want to draw attention to what they see as an injustice.
As stated earlier.

According to the constitution, councillors have a legal duty to 'maintain the highest standards of conduct and ethics.'

By bringing this biased, inflammatory, and prejudically worded motion to the meeting of the full council...

'That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Council.pdf

He failed to do that.

As did every councillor, who supported, and voted for it.

Old 03-03-2012, 14:18   #105
Resting in Peace

A scenario for gynn, I'm an elected member of HBC and my great maiden Aunt Matilda, who lives in Blackburn, is being treated very shabbily by B with D council, I'm very very upset about this, so as somebody who is close to me and my family, but not living in Hyndburn is being treated badly, I want HBC to pass a motion at the next full council meeting deploring the treatment being dished out to my relative, how far would this fly and tell me the difference between the two cases

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..