Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Hyndburn Borough Council be backing Pakistan in the Kashmir conflict?
Yes they should. 1 2.50%
No they shouldn't. 39 97.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 14:48   #106
God Member

Re: Should Hyndburn be supporting Pakistan in Kashmir?

I have a better one, My Family is descended from Rodobert de Cumin, a companion of the Conqueror. At the time of the conquest, some years ago, several members of the extended family were left behind in Normandy, in the region to the west of Rouen. Recently it has come to my attention that my, by now considerably extended, family still extant in that region, are being subjected to unfair taxation, sequestration of property, and unlawful detention by agents of the government of the French Republic, with whom they are in dispute and whose legitimacy they decline to recognise.

Though there has not, to my knowlege, been any attempt at murder or rape committed by the agents of the Government of the Republic of France the family feel that it is merely a matter of time. There has certainly been several outbreaks of pillage however, and the family live in constant fear of the midnight knock at the door.

Could I as a British Subject, UK taxpayer and resident of Hyndburn ask the council to pass a motion condemning the actions of the government of the French Republic in regard to my relatives?
Old 03-03-2012, 15:18   #107
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Whatever the lessons to be learned, let's learn them and move on!
I would love to move on, in fact I would love it if we never had this discussion,
However, our elected representatives knee jerkered to placate a few, which is distasteful to the majority!

When our council either say, "it's nowt to do with us, or else declare both sides are as bad as each other,
I for one will continue to complain.

Everything happening out there is shameful, nothing at all deserves our Councils backing.

But, what do I know?

I was stupid enugh to believe
Both Ken and our Parliamentary representative would make a difference.

Obviously I am just a dumb voter.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:22   #108
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A scenario for gynn, I'm an elected member of HBC and my great maiden Aunt Matilda, who lives in Blackburn, is being treated very shabbily by B with D council, I'm very very upset about this, so as somebody who is close to me and my family, but not living in Hyndburn is being treated badly, I want HBC to pass a motion at the next full council meeting deploring the treatment being dished out to my relative, how far would this fly and tell me the difference between the two cases
If Aunt Matilda had loads of family and fiends in Hyndburn, you could argue that it is a matter of concern to the community here, and under the constitution, you could get the Council to debate it. Be prepared for your motion deploring Aunty's treatment to be watered down, and everyone involved be urged to sit round the table and sort out Aunty's problems.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:24   #109
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Could I as a British Subject, UK taxpayer and resident of Hyndburn ask the council to pass a motion condemning the actions of the government of the French Republic in regard to my relatives?
Yes, but the watered down resolution would urge everyone to sit round the table and sort out Aunty's...er I mean your relatives problems.
Old 03-03-2012, 16:02   #110
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Yes, but the watered down resolution would urge everyone to sit round the table and sort out Aunty's...er I mean your relatives problems.
My goodness gynn, is someone threatening to make cuts to your pension?

If so, don't buckle under, name and shame them, we'll keep you safe!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 16:14   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have a better one, My Family is descended from Rodobert de Cumin, a companion of the Conqueror. At the time of the conquest, some years ago, several members of the extended family were left behind in Normandy, in the region to the west of Rouen. Recently it has come to my attention that my, by now considerably extended, family still extant in that region, are being subjected to unfair taxation, sequestration of property, and unlawful detention by agents of the government of the French Republic, with whom they are in dispute and whose legitimacy they decline to recognise.

Though there has not, to my knowlege, been any attempt at murder or rape committed by the agents of the Government of the Republic of France the family feel that it is merely a matter of time. There has certainly been several outbreaks of pillage however, and the family live in constant fear of the midnight knock at the door.

No you can't what goes around comes around , your relatives did the same to my relatives in 1066 or there abouts
Old 03-03-2012, 17:21   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
No you can't what goes around comes around , your relatives did the same to my relatives in 1066 or there abouts
You know, even though the Conquest took place almost a thousand years ago, it is amazing how little actually changes; you peasants still have far too much to say for yourselves.
Old 03-03-2012, 21:13   #113
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think the majority on residents might disagree, with one minute of Hynburn B.C.'s time being wasted on Acidic-bab's Norman tante.

Yes they should - 2.78%

No they shouldn't -
97.22%

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 21:25   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
You know, even though the Conquest took place almost a thousand years ago, it is amazing how little actually changes; you peasants still have far too much to say for yourselves.
Sorry sire (said whilst tugging forelock if i had one)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13   #115
God Member

As an example of how complex, contentious and dangerous the situation in Kashmir is, I found this article in Wikipedia...

Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not offer this as an authoritative voice on the issue, but merely as an illustration of the conflict with some obsevations on it's origins. You may judge for yourself who is right and who is wrong and whether and where support should be offered, and by whom.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If Aunt Matilda had loads of family and fiends in Hyndburn, you could argue that it is a matter of concern to the community here, and under the constitution, you could get the Council to debate it. Be prepared for your motion deploring Aunty's treatment to be watered down, and everyone involved be urged to sit round the table and sort out Aunty's problems.
You are taking the you know what here aren't you, you know as well as I do it wouldn't see the light of day anywhere near an HBC meeting, because there would be little or no backlash from a refusal
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You are taking the you know what here aren't you, you know as well as I do it wouldn't see the light of day anywhere near an HBC meeting, because there would be little or no backlash from a refusal
You are right, of course, jaysay. It raises the question of whether there would have been a backlash if the Council had not allowed the Kashmir item to be presented.

The answer would appear to be that no-one knows, and the Council saw that it was treading on eggshells. So rightly or wrongly they let the item through, albeit with a much watered down resolution, hoping it would quickly be forgotten.

But nobody at HBC expected the wrath of AccyWeb!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I think they were very wrong to let it through,watered down or not, Then i don't sit on the fence. Unlike some.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Probably because this forum has nothing to do with this Hyndburn Borough Council.

Thanks for your continued contribution to this thread though.

Keeping it topical.

I half expected you wouldn't.

Quote:
Whatever the lessons to be learned, let's learn them and move on!
Seems like people still have plenty to say, about our councillors being duped into becoming ammunition in a contentious, international propaganda war.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You are right, of course, jaysay. It raises the question of whether there would have been a backlash if the Council had not allowed the Kashmir item to be presented.

The answer would appear to be that no-one knows, and the Council saw that it was treading on eggshells. So rightly or wrongly they let the item through, albeit with a much watered down resolution, hoping it would quickly be forgotten.

I'm sure your 100% right gynn, as for AccyWeb, its members are very unforgiving, and don't suffer fools gladly, a wrong is a wrong no matter who does it or why, as many people have found out, one thing that shouldn't be attempted is taking the members for granted, the mushroom syndrum just doesn't work on here

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..