Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 19:48   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Should there be stronger safeguards on sites like Facebook

Immaterial of whatever the owners put in place there will always be some kind of loophole where people evade & avoid or just simply choose to ignore things set in place for their own safety.

Railways have barriers, it still doesn't stop the idiots ignoring them, next thing you know someone is killed by a train & folk start saying why didn't the company do more. Same thing it appears, but the parents also should take a bit more on board as to what the kids are doing. Prime example flashy keeping tabs on her young'un like a good mum should, despite what the nipper's thinking Mum is looking out for her child well done.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2010, 19:56   #17
Beacon of light

It does no harm at all for parents to teach their children some basic internet safety rules too....yes, put parental controls in place(this is harder if your child uses a computer over which you have no control, not all parents are vigilant).....make sure that the children are aware of the risks, make sure that they know not to give out any personal information.....and most of all to be suspicious, and report to their parents anything that they are uncomfortable with.(however uncool this might be....better to be uncool than dead)

This girl was seventeen, and should have had a bit more sense.......but the bottom line is this chap should have been on the police radar, and he wasn't.

It is a tragedy, but one from which all parents can take a lesson. We are never ever going to be able to monitor and prevent all the tricks the perverts get up to, but we can give our children help and information that makes them more aware of what can happen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 19:57   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What with our new Rottweiler Neil on guard, you have to be joking
With great respect, am not joking Jaysay. Moderators cannot read P.M's so there is still a great danger here. Please do not negate the dangers by proclaiming we have a new second coming of an all omnipotent new moderator, which could give some a false sense of security. Always have to be on our guard and teach our children the same.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:20   #19

Very sad case but am i wrong in thinking that on Facebook you have to send a friend invite,in so you either know this person or one of your friends know the person?,or can just anyone search on there and add you to their contact list.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 22:44   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
Very sad case but am i wrong in thinking that on Facebook you have to send a friend invite,in so you either know this person or one of your friends know the person?,or can just anyone search on there and add you to their contact list.

Yes Polly .. but they just think it is fun to collect people, even if they don't know them.

Was in the reference library this afternoon and lots of teenagers in school uniform were on the computers (14/15/16 years).... they were all on Facebook !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 22:51   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
You are sort of right yes. You have to request and be accepted to be on someones friends list.

There are however groups you can join about things you are interested in and then chat on there. Then you could add someone to your list you met in a group and not someone you actually know.
Old 09-03-2010, 23:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You are sort of right yes. You have to request and be accepted to be on someones friends list.

There are however groups you can join about things you are interested in and then chat on there. Then you could add someone to your list you met in a group and not someone you actually know.
cheers for clearing this up
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 00:15   #23
Give, give, give member

Some of the shared interest groups, particularly fan sites, get very aggressive in the threads.

One girl was hunted down by someone she crossed.

This was in a X-Factor fan group!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 00:17   #24
Give, give, give member

There's still ways of checking people's profiles/photographs, even with enhanced security, and even though they aren't your friend.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:40   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's still ways of checking people's profiles/photographs, even with enhanced security, and even though they aren't your friend.

this is where the privacy settings come in Gaz, i have both mine and Reece's privacy set to 'only friends' so only our friends can see our profiles
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
this is where the privacy settings come in Gaz, i have both mine and Reece's privacy set to 'only friends' so only our friends can see our profiles
Same here.

But if someone posts a photograph, or is even tagged in someone elses, you can get in and look at all their pics, even though their settings are set to private, except for friends.

Hopefully they'll stop this happening soon. I have told them about it.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:09   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Same here.

But if someone posts a photograph, or is even tagged in someone elses, you can get in and look at all their pics, even though their settings are set to private, except for friends.

Hopefully they'll stop this happening soon. I have told them about it.
We I will stand by what I said to my daughter when she was in her teens and that was:

If you can count your friends on one hand you are very,very lucky

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:16   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
We I will stand by what I said to my daughter when she was in her teens and that was:

If you can count your friends on one hand you are very,very lucky
I agree, and I'm not counting my thumb.

I recently watched a late night series of programmes about the effect the internet revolution has had on people's lives, and one of the programmes was about social networking sites.

Apparently not only do people have very few 'real' friends, there is a limit for humans on how many people our brain can relate to, and that's 150. They came up with lots of evidence to support this, from the sizes of ancient settlements, to the accuracy of photo fits.

So if you have more than 150 Facebook friends, it's time for a cull.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:04   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree, and I'm not counting my thumb.

I recently watched a late night series of programmes about the effect the internet revolution has had on people's lives, and one of the programmes was about social networking sites.

Apparently not only do people have very few 'real' friends, there is a limit for humans on how many people our brain can relate to, and that's 150. They came up with lots of evidence to support this, from the sizes of ancient settlements, to the accuracy of photo fits.

So if you have more than 150 Facebook friends, it's time for a cull.

Get your coat
Old 10-03-2010, 09:35   #30
Resting in Peace

Facebook warning after Peter Chapman admits Ashleigh Hall murder | Mail Online
This is quite interesting to add to the debate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..