Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48   #1
Resting in Peace

Should there be stronger safeguards on sites like Facebook

Convicted sex attacker Peter Chapman admits murder of teenager Ashleigh Hall | Mail Online
After the murder of that young girl, who was groomed on facebook, should sites such as these be tightened up. Although I have a Facebook account, I don't use i very much as I prefer sites like this but lots of members on here are also on Facebook, what do you think
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51   #2
God Member

Re: Should there be stronger safeguards on sites like Facebook

if your privacy settings on facebook are used properly i don't see a problem with it
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
if your privacy settings on facebook are used properly i don't see a problem with it
Its quite obvious one young girls wasn't shaz
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55   #4
God Member

i know and its horrid what happened to her

i keep an eye on everything that Reece does on the net, facebook, msn etc, i may be classed as being a nosey mum but i would rather be called nosey than suffering the loss of my child
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i know and its horrid what happened to her

i keep an eye on everything that Reece does on the net, facebook, msn etc, i may be classed as being a nosey mum but i would rather be called nosey than suffering the loss of my child
I would say you are more of a responsible Mum myself Shaz
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11   #6
God Member

some people would say i should let him have his privacy, but TOUGH
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21   #7
Resting in Peace

I don't think you can do anymore than this Flashy but to warn them of the dangers of meeting someone they have met on these forums.

This girl was 17 though ... sure she had been warned by her parents in the past. It is an age though when you don't tell them everything isn't it ? Sure you didn't let your mum and dad know Flashy who you were meeting at this age. A very sad case.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't think you can do anymore than this Flashy but to warn them of the dangers of meeting someone they have met on these forums.

This girl was 17 though ... sure she had been warned by her parents in the past. It is an age though when you don't tell them everything isn't it ? Sure you didn't let your mum and dad know Flashy who you were meeting at this age. A very sad case.
Think the main question is why was this guy not being supervised, he as well known to the police, but they lost track of him, ending in the death of a young girl
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45   #9
God Member

Great though the internet is it gives perverts like this even more chance to prey on vulnerable people. That coupled with the fact that the police have failed in their duty when he dissappeared are both big factors in this tragic case. You would think that at seventeen the girl would no better than to go off and meet somebody without telling anybody where she was going. Having said that perverts like this will always find a way of getting to victims.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think the main question is why was this guy not being supervised, he as well known to the police, but they lost track of him, ending in the death of a young girl
This is an entirely different side to it though Jaysay .. your original question was about the social networking sites guarding against dangers. How could they possibly know ? Like Flashy says, does have a privacy facility.

Suppose could happen on Accyweb if you think about it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 13:43   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
We did a while ago.

We had a bloke who was always trying it on with all the girls saying how good he was with the old pork sword. Some of the more gullible ones fell for his tricks until they found out he was a bit of a chav and he was banned.
Old 09-03-2010, 13:50   #12
God Member

no matter what safe gurads are put in place it wont stop dimwitted parents putting tehir kids on facebook with their date of birth, a list of their friends and mothers name for pedophiles to see so that they have all teh information they need tro trick a child into believing what they say to be true and also a selction of photos for the perverts to drool over

thank god some parents have enough about them to actually set privacey settings and restrict what their kids do on that website but a hell of a lot dont so facebook is basically a pedophiles broucher of delight

common sense by parents is the best safeguard but sdaly there is a severe lack of it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 13:52   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thank god some parents have enough about them to actually set privacey settings and restrict what their kids do on that website but a hell of a lot dont so facebook is basically a pedophiles broucher of delight
You can say the same for MSN now they are trying to turn it into mini facebook
Old 09-03-2010, 15:12   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can say the same for MSN now they are trying to turn it into mini facebook
msn used to have social groups way before facebook but they shut them down because of pedophiles

now it seems they want some of facebooks action so to hell with their moral stand it seems

as for facebook i have seen morons setting up acounts for their babys , well i am assuming a 3 month old baby cant create its own account and these are the parents who appear in the news saying thay cant understand why somthing happened to their child

facebook need a damn good kick up the arse as well because at age 13 facebook wil not give parents access to their kids account and refuse point blank to co-oporate with parents regarding tehir childs activity which may not be a problem for some parents but if a parent is having problems with a difficult teenager for example it may be harder finding out what is going on.

before networking sites liek facebook internet bullying was hardly ever heard of and child suicides wernt as frequent

social networking sites shoudl be adult only and a credit card confirmation shoudl be in place to confirm age and identity or somthing along those lines

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 09-03-2010 at 15:18.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 16:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This is an entirely different side to it though Jaysay .. your original question was about the social networking sites guarding against dangers. How could they possibly know ? Like Flashy says, does have a privacy facility.

What with our new Rottweiler Neil on guard, you have to be joking

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..