Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2006, 13:29   #31
God Member

Re: Should two jags go?

I sincerely believe that HRH The Duke of Edinburgh should be deputy PM, if not PM. He has done this country stirling sevice over the last 58 years and the title of PM would be just reward. One thing is for sure - the days of kow-towing to political correctness would soon come to an end.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2006, 14:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Well, the fact that he was playing croquet seems strange for a so-called champion of the working classes, but each to his own. For me it's the fact that he was playing it in the grounds of his grace and favour country house and what it represents. Rightly or wrongly, he was relieved of many of his responsibilities when his little daliance with his secretary was discovered. Various Labour politicians have rushed to his defence, assuring us that he still does plenty of work. The fact is, he has been demoted and, out in the real world, that would mean a corresponding decrease in salary. But not for our John, oh no...he's kept his large salary and also greedily clung on to all his perks including his various grace and favour properties, very much in the manner of the sort of rampant capitalist he professes to despise. "Do as I say, not as I do" as the old saying goes!

Are you jealous or what? I couldn't care less whether he plays croquet , or with his other woman. at his grace and favour home. If you had his job, you would enjoy a grace and favour home. THEN THERE WOULDN'T BE A PEEP OUT OF YOU Him and the Labour party have done more for me than any of the Tory parties have done. And the Liberals promise the world( knowing full well they would never be in power ) They also sit on the fence! And all the other parties if they were in power would have their grace and favour homes, and bother with other people's spouses or their own kind!!!:engsmil: come on england:engsmil:
No he shouldn't go Come on Labour Party your doing a good job

Last edited by thindle; 31-05-2006 at 14:42.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 15:27   #33
Super Moderator

I couldn't care less about what other parties are promising - I'm bothered about what this present government is doing, which is staggering from one mess to another at the moment. Overpayment of tax credits today...what will it be tomorrow?

As for John Prescott, he appears to have achieved very little over the last nine years. Also, he was recently "relieved" of some of his duties. In other words, he has less work and less responsibility. For an ordinary person in an ordinary job, that would mean a corresponding reduction in salary and benefits, but ordinary rules don't seem to apply to him.

Still, if you think the present government's doing a good job, can I have some of what you're on please??!!
Old 31-05-2006, 15:47   #34
God Member

Prescott more or less sums up this Labour Government. It is a fat, bloated, inarticulate and unproductive mess paid for by the taxpayer.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 15:54   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I sincerely believe that HRH The Duke of Edinburgh should be deputy PM, if not PM. He has done this country stirling sevice over the last 58 years and the title of PM would be just reward. One thing is for sure - the days of kow-towing to political correctness would soon come to an end.
An eighty five year old of Greek birth?

I'd sooner have you as deputy PM, at least we'd get a couple more years out of you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 19:55   #36

Quote:
I couldn't care less about what other parties are promising - I'm bothered about what this present government is doing, which is staggering from one mess to another at the moment. Overpayment of tax credits today...what will it be tomorrow?

As for John Prescott, he appears to have achieved very little over the last nine years. Also, he was recently "relieved" of some of his duties. In other words, he has less work and less responsibility. For an ordinary person in an ordinary job, that would mean a corresponding reduction in salary and benefits, but ordinary rules don't seem to apply to him.

Still, if you think the present government's doing a good job, can I have some of what you're on please??!!
You can, when your'e eligible,, we're on the pension. And we are not moaning, we get by with no extra private pensions either. Do you know you just sound like the time everyone wanted rid of Maggie.she had been in too long and then it was John Major. I think people are never satisfied. :engsmil: What did we get for eighteen Tory years zilch!!!!!!:engsmil:
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 20:14   #37
God Member

The problem with him is thindle he's going to lose the labour party the next election, it's already started, the rot is setting in. He was supposed to be working, running the country while tone was away on his well earned holiday, but instead was playing croquet. He preaches high moral standards then gets caught having an affair. It's not the fact that he had an affair, it's what he said prior to that, that makes him a liar an hipocrite. If you want to keep your labour party that has done so much for you then you should want him to go. Also the longer he stays the more people think something dodgy is going on with him and blair, and more they want tony to go too.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 21:35   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
And we are not moaning
Who exactly do you mean by "we"? Because most people I know, pensioners or not, are "moaning" quite a lot about this incompetent, bungling government.

And quite frankly, I'm fed up of hearing about eighteen years of Tory rule, Maggie Thatcher, John Major and the rest. This government have been in for nine long years now and I'm more interested in what they're doing, not dredging up ancient history.

Quite ironic too, that you seem to pepper your messages with the Cross of St George when the government you so fervently support thinks so little of this country that they allow Scottish MPs to vote on matters which only affect England.

Still, when you pick up your pittance of a pension, I'm sure you feel a warm glow when you think of all the money that's being spent on a pointless military adventure in Iraq. Well done, Tony Blair and his noble band of class warriors!
Old 31-05-2006, 22:57   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

got to say thindle ive yet to meet any of this WE.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05   #40
God Member

Humpty Dumpty was elected as the deputy leader of the Labour Party so its down to the afore mentioned to deal with him. Pres Blair took his department away from him as he had the power but he does not I believe(no doubt I will be corrected) to remove HD from the deputy leaders role.
As such the pressure will have to come from the rank and file members up through the chain to the Labour Party's higher echelons to do the deed, well if they are not yellow that is.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39   #41

Two Jags should stay as he's by far the most entertaining figure in British politics in years. We need a big gruff northerner to frighten the rest of the country and give us all somethingh to laugh at. Never mind him being Minister without portfolio, or whatever the title for his pretend job is, how about Minister for Keeping the Flak off Tony Blair?
Old 01-06-2006, 15:02   #42
God Member

He's a useless waste of taxpayers money, somebody who does something should be in hat house playing croquet, not someone who can't even string a legible sentence together let alone do anything sensible
Old 01-06-2006, 17:41   #43
God Member

Humpty Dumpty the new Minister for Comical Behavior and C*** Ups.

So all in all SSDD.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 18:57   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Who exactly do you mean by "we"? Because most people I know, pensioners or not, are "moaning" quite a lot about this incompetent, bungling government.
Is that the one with 5 million unemployed, interest rates at 15%, leaking hospitals with contracted out cleaning, schools with more than 40 in a class and a police force driving around in squad cars all day whilst crime escalated by any chance? Yes "we" did suffer under the Tories.

Quote:
And quite frankly, I'm fed up of hearing about eighteen years of Tory rule, Maggie Thatcher, John Major and the rest. This government have been in for nine long years now and I'm more interested in what they're doing, not dredging up ancient history.
Well I just dredged it up. How about this for a manifesto:

• Every secondary school in Hyndburn refurbished
• Every primary school in Hyndburn undergoing massive refurbishment
• Class sizes under 30 with teaching assistants in classes
• Best exam results in years
• Lowest inflation in decades
• Longest sustained economic growth in decades
• Two brand new Health Centres in Accrington & Ossy (to start with)
• Pensioner minimum income guarantee nearly double that the Tories
• Waiting lists (remember them!!) cut dramatically
• minimum wage
•*lowest unemployment for 30 years
• £100m in private sector housing renewal money to Hyndburn
• £30m for Council Housing
• Record investment in local authorities (wasted in Hyndburn with the Tories)

Quote:
Quite ironic too, that you seem to pepper your messages with the Cross of St George when the government you so fervently support thinks so little of this country that they allow Scottish MPs to vote on matters which only affect England.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. The Tories didn't want devolution meaning Scottish MPs (where Scotland has always had its own laws) would still be voting on English matters. What are you suggesting therefore? Your a hypocrite or you think to end the anomoly you would have scrapped Scottish laws?

Quote:
Still, when you pick up your pittance of a pension, I'm sure you feel a warm glow when you think of all the money that's being spent on a pointless military adventure in Iraq. Well done, Tony Blair and his noble band of class warriors!
The Tories undid the link between earnings and pensions. As well as throwing people on the scrap heap so the where forced into pensioner poverty later in life. They also encouraged less regulated private pension savings and then watched them get robbed and go bust - or alternatively ran the economy down so they were all devalued anyway. Remember that Wynonie? No, thought not.

And penioners now -
Pension Credit is an entitlement for people aged 60 or over. It guarantees everyone aged 60 and over an income of at least:
£114.05 a week if you are single (would be £84.25 under the Tories)
£174.05 a week if you have a partner (would be £134.75 under the Tories)
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 19:08   #45
God Member

Well our school is being rebuilt at a cost of 8 million, but we have to sell the ground it's on for housing to get it, and build the new school on the schoool playing fields, something that labour said they would stop happening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...uprescott2.xml

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..