Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2008, 21:30   #1
God Member

Should We Congratulate HBC ?

In some ways I think HBC should be congratulated on catching 193 cheats. On the other hand why didn't they prosecute them

£78,000 council tax fraud uncovered at Hyndburn (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 13-10-2008, 21:35   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should We Congratulate HBC ?

in answer to yer question NO. whilst its good cheaters are caught, end of the day its their job to sort it, n i can think of much bigger stuff they done ****** all about fer years.
Old 13-10-2008, 21:54   #3
God Member

Does anyone know if they charge interest on the repayment ? Might get myself one of these loans if they don't
Old 13-10-2008, 22:07   #4
God Member

The way I read that - they simply compared the electoral list with the households where persons were claiming to live alone.
This shows naive stupidity on the part of the persons who committed the fraud, and leads me to ask -

1.- why was the electoral list not checked at the time the claim was made, and anually thereafter?

2.- what is being done to detect the households who claim this 'single person' reduction and have had the sense to make the electoral list show them as living alone?

A lazy fraud excercise which should not have been neccessary

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 23:20   #5
Give, give, give member

Each week we read in the local press the names of those prosecuted, and fined, for not paying their television licence.

Perhaps if the council had the determination to prosecute these fraudsters, the Observer could have produced a full colour suplement for it's readers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 23:33   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Each week we read in the local press the names of those prosecuted, and fined, for not paying their television licence.

Perhaps if the council had the determination to prosecute these fraudsters, the Observer could have produced a full colour suplement for it's readers.
yeh whatabout "Hyndburns Fraudsters" next year?
Old 13-10-2008, 23:34   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh whatabout "Hyndburns Fraudsters" next year?

....and all their friends and families could vote for them, and the winner could be announced as the main, front page, story.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 00:26   #8
Resting in Peace

Tip of the iceberg,Next stop Housing Benefit Fraud.
Though you do realise it could close two more pubs.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 07:13   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote from that link ---

Quote:
brok, Congresbury says...
4:33pm Sun 12 Oct 08
Wow! 193 Hyndburn citizens defrauded a total of £78,000 - an average of £404 each "some of which dated back years". Now, I wonder what £404 spread over years will come to? A groat a day?

There are 81496 residents in the Hydnburn area, 99.7637% of whom are NOT defrauding the council tax.
I wonder how much this world breaking investigation cost and whether the officer responsible for uncovering this fraud will be sent to Iceland to threaten the banks there with his gumshoe skills?

Nearly as good as man bites dog.
Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't

I think all fraudsters should be targeted and caught. I also think all 193 should be taken to court and prosecuted for fraud. It would make a lot more people think twice before trying it themselves.

So to answer the question Dave, yes they should be congratulated, I know it is their job to catch them but it is nice for us honest tax payers to read about the Council catching fraudsters.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:04   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I wonder if anyone on here will admit to getting caught committing this fraud?
Old 14-10-2008, 08:22   #11
Resident Waffler

Yes they should be congratulated and as for the stupid comment in the report it's things like that attitude which allows people to get away with diddling the rest of us.

I was thinking to myself how much would prosecution cost and would it put our council takes up to cover the cost until I read this:
Quote:
I wonder how much this world breaking investigation cost and whether the officer responsible for uncovering this fraud will be sent to Iceland to threaten the banks there with his gumshoe skills?
That swayed my opinion in the opposite direction.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:13   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That swayed my opinion in the opposite direction.
So which way are you swaying?

As for prosecution, is fraud not a criminal offence and should the cost not come from the Crown Prosecution Service?

The fraud should be reported to the Police, how many times do the Council ask us to report things like public nuisance and vandalism to the Police?

Is it do as we say not as we do?
Old 14-10-2008, 09:49   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So which way are you swaying?
I was swaying in the direction of thinking it could be money wasted better spent elsewhere, but now I am swaying towards thinking why the billy thump shouldn't they be prosecuted. It's fraud. The rest of us law abiding residents pay higher council tax bills when people diddle their way out of paying. Yes prosecute and make more investigations in future to ensure it doesn't happen again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 10:04   #14
God Member

The costs of this investigation will be one junior clerk's wages for one day at most.
When I was at DHSS this type of check was regular practice and that is why I say that it should have been made annually as a matter of course, and not wait until some have got away with it for years.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 14:16   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

It often follows that the person defrauding Council Tax, in this way, is claiming to be single for several other things as well. If any of them are on Income Support they may well have made a single claim and the same applies to Tax Credits. HMRC, these days, works closely with Councils and the DSS/DoE and this type of fraud follows a recognisable pattern. There may be much more money to be recouped than the reported Council Tax figure.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..