Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 15:26   #226
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
it may have been metioned already but amsterdam has tightened up use of canabis so non nationals will no longer be able to smoke canabis legaly in amsterdam.
They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes
Old 06-05-2012, 15:50   #227
Senior Member+

Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol
Old 06-05-2012, 16:00   #228
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol
Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:09   #229
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes
yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 06-05-2012, 16:37   #230
Senior Member+

Yeah. There was a joke in there somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:45   #231
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard
You are dead right about the war on drugs ... And I'm willing to bet there are thousands of poor, frightened folks in places like Mexico, Colombia, and Honduras who would like to see legalization. The demand is not going to go away, believe it.
Old 06-05-2012, 19:50   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Does that make it ok?
I can only go from my own experiences and as far as I'm concerned cannabis and other illegal drugs including mephedrone - or bubble - do far more harm than good. I can't really say anything else about it, there really isn't much to advocate for legalising illegal substances in my opinion.
If anyone can evidence that drug use is beneficial to either individuals or to society, I'd like to hear it.
I'm repeating myself!
Old 06-05-2012, 20:43   #233
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I'm repeating myself!
We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana
Old 06-05-2012, 20:52   #234
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana
Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...
Old 06-05-2012, 21:15   #235
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...
You realize tho' that Canada is off the radar as far as most folks in the world are concerned ... no one, apart from the ever grateful Dutch, knows who we are, and what we are all about. We have medical marijuana, gay marriage, no abortion law (it's a matter between a patient and her doctor, other than paying for the procedure, the state has no input) and, in Ontario, legal whorehouses
Canada court ruling would allow legal brothels | Top News | Reuters

Last edited by Eric; 06-05-2012 at 21:22.
Old 14-05-2012, 16:46   #236
God Member

And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News
Old 14-05-2012, 16:51   #237
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News
This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.
Old 14-05-2012, 17:03   #238
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.
Why did you retire so young?
Old 14-05-2012, 17:15   #239
Beacon of light

I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit
Old 14-05-2012, 18:02   #240
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit
That was a pity Margaret, I prefer the old brigade when I'm in hospital, those who are there for all the right reasons, you can't teach caring at university

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..