Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2012, 18:43   #91
JCB

Re: Show me yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I remember the next "exotic" thing being a steak tea-cake which was called a "Steak Canadian" -wonder what Erc would make of that!!
Steak Canadian originated at what used to be Ingham's butchers on Willows Lane at the corner of Fraser St . Derek Ingham worked for his dad , created the recipe for Steak Canadian and set up his own business making and selling them .

Ewood Foods

Another feather in the cap of the Cosmopolitan Spring Hill .

Last edited by JCB; 26-01-2012 at 18:48.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2012, 18:48   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Steak Canadian originated at what used to be Ingham's butchers on Willows Lane at the corner of Fraser St . Derek Ingham worked for his dad , created the recipe for Steak Canadian and set up his own business making and selling them .

Ewood Foods
Certainly did JCB, knew Derek very well and can remember how he actually invented them quite by accident in the first place, he was just messing about one afternoon when the shop was quiet and the idea hit him, certainly put him on his feet.
Old 26-01-2012, 18:54   #93
God Member

I worked with Hazel, who was his wife for a while.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 20:34   #94
God Member

Originally Posted by mobertol
I remember the next "exotic" thing being a steak tea-cake which was called a "Steak Canadian" -wonder what Erc would make of that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Ewood Foods

Another feather in the cap of the Cosmopolitan Spring Hill .
That's where my Grand-parents lived nearly all their lives, I wonder how many pubs have them on their menu these days...

It's something I still make at home from time to time.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 20:39   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
2010 saw the Mediterranean diet crowned as World Heritage by Unesco, but 2012 won’t be the year of Neapolitan Pizza. According to a recent Unesco meeting that took place in Dubai, the only Italian candidate for the title of World Heritage in 2012 is going to be the traditional violin-making craft of Cremona, in Lombardy.

In the meantime a new museum is due to be completed by Sept. 2012 at a cost of 12 million Euros, donated by local businessman and philanthropist Giovanni Arvedi, owner of the steelworks just outside Cremona.
The following link explains about the building of the new complex which will also house a new auditorium. It is in English as well as Italian!:bleed ht:

MDV | Museo del Violino | Cremona
Hope some of you will eventually come to visit Cremona, it may be off the beaten track but that's where you will find the essence of Italy.

I will be delighted to be your local guide and show you Italy as it really is.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-05-2012, 15:53   #96
God Member

Next weekend sees the annual Literature and Music festival in Cremona - Le Corde dell'anima - "The Strings of the Soul". All around the town in various venues a series of encounters with writers and musicians takes place. It's well worth a visit.
I will be going to see David Nicholls talk about his best-seller "One" and hear the music of Nicolò Fabi (already seen him -he's very good) next Friday evening in the Piazza del Duomo.
The link shows how big an event it is and who is participating -unfortunately it only seems to be in Italian (unless i'm missing something!) Some good photos of last years event and this years Photography competition.
Le Corde dell'Anima - Festival fra letteratura e musica

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-05-2012, 16:01   #97
God Member

A medley from last year's Festival.

Plus this year's Ad!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 26-05-2012 at 16:03. Reason: Adding link

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..