Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2008, 17:18   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Cashman I think cyfr is trying to find out just what it was that the unfortunate councillor said that got PB so riled. I must admit I am more than a little intrigued myself to discover just how appalling, and/or true, was the thing she said. I think we should be shown a complete transcript so that we can judge for ourselves just how petty and small minded our "dear leader" actually is
ah cheers AB, that i do like,though doubt if my mate will.
Old 16-02-2008, 19:13   #32
Resident Waffler

However intriguing it may be to know what was said to inspire PB to come out with such a childish insult, and whether or not he could feel justified in saying it is not the issue. That's a tangent. The fact is he denies saying it despite the fact that there are numerous witnesses. That is the point. He hasn't even got the guts to stand by what he said and defend his reason for saying it so his reason for saying it becomes totally irrelevant.

The issue here is that he has lied and expects us to believe the lie. This casts doubt on any other 'truth' he may tell or have told.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 20:07   #33
God Member

Who was it from Accyweb who heard what was said?

Maybe they can clarify for us.

Last edited by Lilly; 16-02-2008 at 20:09.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 20:37   #34

Lilly think it was first mentioned by g jones in the Hyndburn to be axed thread page 58/post # 858

Nobody has said as far as I can tell why the comments were made
Old 16-02-2008, 21:06   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The problem is that if the councillors post on some topics they are accountable.

More than once, Graham has been hauled over the coals for controversial things that have been posted on here so I think he's more than a little cautious now.
"Accountable"? Accountable for what? If he can't come on here and argue in favour of the present Labour government that you both supposedly support, then in my view, it's a poor do. And that goes for you, too!
Old 16-02-2008, 21:08   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Who was it from Accyweb who heard what was said?

Maybe they can clarify for us.
Think it might be me actually (or one another) Did hear this remark, but cannot remember the exact dialogue that led up to it .. was a long meeting with regard to the proposal of the Hyndburn name change.

It was obvious that the proposal was losing ground and think Cllr.Britcliffe was probably getting a little peavish at this stage as he was in a corner, and nowhere else for him to go. Insults abounded throughout the meeting, lots of them personal which were extremely amusing (he does have a dry sense of humour.. should be a stand up comedian).

Don't think accusing this lady Councillor of not being able to string three words together is a big deal (my goodness, three, that many ! ..) only banter, just the 'Silly Cow' bit. More mouthed than anything. Seemed all part of the proceedings to me. Wasn't said heatedly at all .. just an aside. Perhaps he should have been a little more careful, but was said in an amusing way.

Said it before, but Graham Jones ignored his gibes all night .. and just got on with it.. best way.

Storm in a teacup.

Last edited by katex; 16-02-2008 at 21:12.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 21:16   #37
God Member

Whatever Peter Britcliffe called her it will be no worse than Councillor Jones has called members of this forum. The good thing about this messageboard is that Councillor Jones was able to delete his insult before too many people read it. People in glass houses springs to mind. As katex says, storm in a teacup.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 21:22   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
"favour of the present Labour government that you both supposedly support, !

You can say that as often as you like Wynonie but it will never be true. I have NEVER once said that I supported the Labour Government. I have never said I don't either but that's not the point.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 16-02-2008 at 21:24.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 21:32   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have NEVER once said that I supported the Labour Government. I have never said I don't either.
A classic politician's answer!
Old 16-02-2008, 21:41   #40
God Member

Quote:
A classic politician's answer!
I'm not one of those either. If you recall I lost the election!

Old 16-02-2008, 21:54   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not one of those either. If you recall I lost the election!
Yes, I know, and that's unfortunate for the people of your ward. I certainly would have voted for you! However, there's always next time...which is why it wouldn't do to appear on here supporting the highly unpopular policies of this present government. But then again, if you actually came out against them, it wouldn't go down well with the Labour party bigwigs. Quite a dilemma!
Old 16-02-2008, 22:02   #42
God Member

Quote:
it wouldn't do to appear on here supporting the highly unpopular policies of this present government. But then again, if you actually came out against them, it wouldn't go down well with the Labour party bigwigs. Quite a dilemma!
Not a dilemma at all - as you point out quite often, I'm successfully not doing either of those things!

BTW - thanks for the vote, shame you couldn't have convinced another 200 people

Old 16-02-2008, 22:06   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i get your point completely, what i am saying is it dont really matter.whatever it was it does not justify that response from the Leader of the Council, unless YOU think it does?
Nothing happened before Cyfr. She asked a short reasonable question. Every time she speaks Clr Britcliffe feels neccessary to intimidate her which always means insults. It is a constant battle with Peter to rid Oswaldtwistle of any Labour Councillors, so every week pathetic little battles ensue to gain the upper hand and undermine/disconcert Clr McCormack. .

Accy Web members present and others in the public gallery were taken aback. Like I said before, not all Tories are bad and not all Labour are good. The County Tories won't have much to do with Hyndburn Tories because they think they are disgraceful bunch as well. It's not political.

Attacking me is just part of old school politics. I get things wrong but we have to get used to a new type of politics, not being about the guy at the top always having to be right because he is the one at the top, but a guy at the top encouraging everyone else to work positively together so that all the good ideas surface.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 22:09   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not a dilemma at all - as you point out quite often, I'm successfully not doing either of those things!
No, you're not, but I will never quite understand why your opinions on this present government should be shrouded in such an eternal air of mystery. Never mind, perhaps one day you'll feel able to share your feelings with us!
Old 16-02-2008, 22:12   #45
God Member

I have commented on things in the past. But it's no mystery. I just don't comment on things that I have little knowledge of.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..