Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2008, 00:25   #91
God Member

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Ok, wasn't meant personal to your goodself Cashy and willing to listen to views .. suppose we are just a country that doesn't give much praise when it is due .. only criticism.

Blazey: Actually I don't think the Cllr had said anything much before he made this remark. Agree this is what happens in Parliament too, however, everybody missing the point here, he denied saying it ... Ok perhaps he forgot is the best excuse I can allow him.. . Like I said storm in a teacup and just made me laugh at the time, did not make me gasp with shock, just thought was all part of the banter. Do think that the Mayor could have stepped in though and asked him for an apology of some sort, as she could have easily retaliated and got into a real slanging match, but was said in a light hearted sort of way, not aggresively.
I don't really think it matters that much if he denied saying it. If anything it just shows he wasn't meaning it as maliciously as some people seem to be assuming.

I love the guy though so I am biased. I think the sun shines out of his backside. Even if he is a bit porky.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2008, 00:55   #92
God Member

There's a code of conduct that councillors are supposed to follow, they're not supposed to act like this in full council. One of ours did the same down here and it got a full investigation. He was found to be in the wrong and got a telling off but at worst they can be removed from the position.
The man is being an idiot giving the opposition ammunition if he's attacking her every meeting, and by using sex specific remarks he's bordering on having a sexual harassment claim against him.
Didn't I read also that some failed to declare an interest recently?

I find these meetings most interesting, the logic councillors use if they're in it for the power glory n cash can be hilarious.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 08:56   #93
Resting in Peace

I think the answer is have a do yourself, but before you do, ask yourself one question, "would I work for me?" if the aswere is NO give it up as a bad job, because me is Joe Public, and you can never satisfy the general public all the time especially when you have a duel party system, half of the popultion are going to be upset by the other half, so its a no win situation
Old 18-02-2008, 09:48   #94
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't really think it matters that much if he denied saying it. If anything it just shows he wasn't meaning it as maliciously as some people seem to be assuming.

I love the guy though so I am biased. I think the sun shines out of his backside. Even if he is a bit porky.

Of course it matters that he denied saying it.

If he cannot stand up and be counted for one thing how many more things has he done or will he do which he subsequently has or will deny all knowledge of? THIS is what matters.

He said it. That is a fact. There are witnesses to that fact. He had the option of admitting that he said it and apologising, or admitting that he said it and standing by what he said - perhaps could have added that she was a silly cow for taking it to heart as it wasn't meant with malice. THAT would have been fine IMO. But instead he behaved like a child caught red handed raiding the fridge or with his hand in the cookie jar and responding with "It wasn't me. I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it and anyway you can't prove a thing!"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 13:25   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

well if it dont matter much,i suggest yer training for the wrong job.
Old 18-02-2008, 14:51   #96
God Member

I have said it before and I will say it again, Britcliffe is a liability. He should have been voted out at the last opportunity, and would have been, had he not bought off his constituents with empty promises and a cheap illustrated calendar ( a pity that Gayle is too principled to stoop so low, or lower).
Old 18-02-2008, 20:23   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well if it dont matter much,i suggest yer training for the wrong job.
When I'm in support of him I think it's my place to stand by his denial otherwise I'd be a hypocrite. Of course if I was in support of the silly cow I would have to disagree with him and rant about it like everyone else. She could've been a silly cow for all I care though, and she more than likely is for choosing HER job. Politics is no place for a woman.

Except maybe Thatcher, she seemed powerful and had back bone, even if she was a bit crappy
Old 18-02-2008, 20:51   #98

Quote:
When I'm in support of him I think it's my place to stand by his denial otherwise I'd be a hypocrite. Of course if I was in support of the silly cow I would have to disagree with him and rant about it like everyone else. She could've been a silly cow for all I care though, and she more than likely is for choosing HER job. Politics is no place for a woman.

Except maybe Thatcher, she seemed powerful and had back bone, even if she was a bit crappy
I was one of the people in the public gallery, who saw the incident. PB did call Cllr McCormack a silly cow. It might be interesting to find out exactly, what else he is lying about.

(I have not been on Accy web for several days, otherwise I would have posted earlier).

Maybe you agreeing with his denial, shows that you will suopport anything anyone says, just to prove they are innocent. typical lawyer.

As for your attitude that politics is no place for a woman, I suppose you think that women should not have the vote either. Personally I can't see why the law is ok for a woman but not politics.

But then I forgot you are studying law.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 21:23   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
(I have not been on Accy web for several days, otherwise I would have posted earlier).
So pleased you have turned up Claytonender .. wondered where you were...phew ... was beginning to think that I may have imagined it at the end of the day, but you more versed in these matters than I am, so feeling a little more confident in my memory now..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 21:29   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again, Britcliffe is a liability. He should have been voted out at the last opportunity, and would have been, had he not bought off his constituents with empty promises and a cheap illustrated calendar ( a pity that Gayle is too principled to stoop so low, or lower).
thank you

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 22:59   #101
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
At least he posts sometimes!!!! - The Conservative Councellors are noted by their absence!
That might be a good thing, all we need is a load of Councillors calling each other names on here. We do enough of that ourselves
Old 18-02-2008, 23:14   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I was one of the people in the public gallery, who saw the incident. PB did call Cllr McCormack a silly cow. It might be interesting to find out exactly, what else he is lying about.

Maybe you agreeing with his denial, shows that you will suopport anything anyone says, just to prove they are innocent. typical lawyer.

As for your attitude that politics is no place for a woman, I suppose you think that women should not have the vote either. Personally I can't see why the law is ok for a woman but not politics.

But then I forgot you are studying law.
I would rather never had the vote, then I cant be accused of being a part to the government that is currently in power. Better to not be associated with it and leave the men to be blamed and play politics. Its all a very childish affair. I would happily be a housewife, and if my boyfriend ever comes into money I would rather be his housewife than a lawyer.

I got an essay marked and handed back to me today and I was marked down for using common sense over legal principals. I guess I need to learn what opinions to use at certain times, because I'm treated like I speak like a lawyer on here with no common sense, and the complete opposite at the law school. Can't win can I?!

I just like Britcliffe as a person, not as a politician. He's friendly. Everyone loses their rag every now and again and politicians do it all the time! So what if he called her a silly cow, I've been called all sorts of crap on ths forum, some of it I could probably sue for libel over but I have a sense of humour and a bit of back bone. Whoever that woman is needs to get over it, she could've been called much worse things!
Old 18-02-2008, 23:19   #103
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
had he not bought off his constituents with empty promises and a cheap illustrated calendar ( a pity that Gayle is too principled to stoop so low, or lower).
Damn that wasted vote, I never did get my calender

I hope your stooping low suggestion is not related to how you would like Gayle to pose in her calender photo shoot

As far as the "or lower" suggestion, I think you should take a cold shower.

I do agree with all the comments regarding petty bickering between Councillors being destructive for Hynburn in general.
Old 19-02-2008, 00:54   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'd just like to point out here, as a recipient of the infamous calendar, he still didn't get my vote.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 00:57   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I would rather never had the vote, then I cant be accused of being a part to the government that is currently in power. Better to not be associated with it and leave the men to be blamed and play politics. Its all a very childish affair. I would happily be a housewife, and if my boyfriend ever comes into money I would rather be his housewife than a lawyer.

I got an essay marked and handed back to me today and I was marked down for using common sense over legal principals. I guess I need to learn what opinions to use at certain times, because I'm treated like I speak like a lawyer on here with no common sense, and the complete opposite at the law school. Can't win can I?!

I just like Britcliffe as a person, not as a politician. He's friendly. Everyone loses their rag every now and again and politicians do it all the time! So what if he called her a silly cow, I've been called all sorts of crap on ths forum, some of it I could probably sue for libel over but I have a sense of humour and a bit of back bone. Whoever that woman is needs to get over it, she could've been called much worse things!
Stop babbling, you silly cow.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..