Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2008, 08:26   #1
Senior Member+

"Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

This week the Standards Board said Clr Britcliffe calling Clr Colette McCormack a "Silly Cow" in Full Council in November have said it was 'heat of the moment". Members of this Accy Web were present.

Mr Britcliffe said "(Your so thick) you couldn't even string a sentence of words together you silly cow". Things happen that aren't right but should be put in perspective.

On the night everyone there thought it was in very poor taste. However what gets me is that he has denied saying it in the Telegraph when 40 people heard him. "It's not in his vocabulary" he says, so he couldn't have said it.

I wonder what members of Accy Web present at the time think of this?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2008, 08:34   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Would have thought that the council would have to have a minutes secretary for full council meetings?

If being taken the statement uttered would have to be recorded!

Or can you stop the minutes when you want in a meeting because when I've been in meetings everything is noted and when I do the minutes I have to make sure matters are shown.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:17   #3
God Member

Come on G jones, you know how it works. Even when a councillor breaks the rules, they're let off with a tap on the wrist. The rules aren't really rules they're just guidelines to such important people.
Same happened down here, councillor made an outburst, got a telling off, naughty naughty don't do it again.
My interpretation of such a comment is that it is a clearly sexist comment meant to be derogatory solely based on the her being a woman.
He should be removed for making such a comment.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:21   #4

If he had said it to someone at work he would have lost his job and wouldn't have had an argument. Is there a difference here?

Suz x.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:24   #5
God Member

What was said in order to spark this response from him? I'd like to know all the story.
Old 16-02-2008, 12:52   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
What was said in order to spark this response from him? I'd like to know all the story.
whatever it was,so long as it was not personal it does not warrant that response, funny how you all seem to stick together.also funny how graham brings this up,yet seems to avoid certain threads that are far more important.

Last edited by cashman; 16-02-2008 at 12:55.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 12:53   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Mr Britcliffe said "(Your so thick) you couldn't even string a sentence of words together you silly cow".
Was he right though?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 13:19   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
whatever it was,so long as it was not personal it does not warrant that response, funny how you all seem to stick together.also funny how graham brings this up,yet seems to avoid certain threads that are far more important.
Well I don't know what it was, whether it was personal or not, thats why I'm asking before making judgement on it. As yet I haven't made comment on it and to suggest I would defend somebody solely because they're a member of a certain political party is rather misguided.

Last edited by andrewb; 16-02-2008 at 13:23.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 13:26   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
funny how graham brings this up,yet seems to avoid certain threads that are far more important.
Amazing...truly amazing...practically every day the government that Graham so ardently supports is routinely criticised, ridiculed and generally trashed on here. Yet not one peep do we hear from our Graham. A bit of alleged juvenile name-calling in the council chamber and he starts a flippin' thread about it!
Old 16-02-2008, 13:27   #10
God Member

Councillor McCormack has visited my home in connection with the dog mess problem last year.
I found her most helpful, and the action she took to assist me was productive, and there was some improvement to the dog mess problem.

In contrast - the email response from Councillor Britcliffe was --
Thank you . I have asked for this request to be investigated. It would seem sensible. Kind Regards Peter BrITCLIFFE (copied and pasted in total)

That was 10 months ago - no result from his 'investigations'.

When it comes caring for the community Mrs McCormack is better than PB
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 13:30   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Well I don't know what it was, whether it was personal or not, thats why I'm asking before making judgement on it. As yet I haven't made comment on it and to suggest I would defend somebody solely because they're a member of a certain political party is rather misguided.
the first post tells you what was said.
Old 16-02-2008, 13:41   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Amazing...truly amazing...practically every day the government that Graham so ardently supports is routinely criticised, ridiculed and generally trashed on here. Yet not one peep do we hear from our Graham. A bit of alleged juvenile name-calling in the council chamber and he starts a flippin' thread about it!
could not agree more Wynonie, over the months I could not post on here it didn't stop me reading and it was quite noticeable that anytime a thread having a go at a government policy you couldn't see the Jones boy for dust, but anyone having a poke at Britcliffe and he was onto it like a flash. In fact I have posted on another thread, that he'd go missing again like he usually does.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 13:46   #13
God Member

At least he posts sometimes!!!! - The Conservative Councellors are noted by their absence!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 14:01   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
At least he posts sometimes!!!! - The Conservative Councellors are noted by their absence!
agreed, but tactically, avoids the controversial threads.
Old 16-02-2008, 14:05   #15
God Member

The problem is that if the councillors post on some topics they are accountable.

More than once, Graham has been hauled over the coals for controversial things that have been posted on here so I think he's more than a little cautious now.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..