Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2016, 23:05   #1
Full Member+

Sir ken dodd

Ken Dodd has been Knighted in New Years Honours. About time too if you ask me. 60yrs in showbusiness and no one has worked harder. Still doing 4/5 hour shows at 89 yrs old. Played every live theatre in the country. No one deserves it more. He's a credit to Lancashire.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2016, 08:23   #2
God Member

Re: Sir ken dodd

They've finally forgiven him his little tax dodging indiscretions then? You're right though, he deserves it & people have done much worse things
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:08   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Perhaps i'll get knighted then, they had me fer tax dodging in the 80s.
AccyMad and hilleluk like this.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:31   #4

I've mixed feelings about the Honours system. I notice a lot of sportsmen and women have been honoured for doing well at the Olympics and Wimbledon etc. Surely their reward is the Olympic medal or trophy, so why give a further reward of a gong? And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what? It can't be for being the worst singer in the Spice Girls.
Rowlf and boxermum like this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:36   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems May has done a Cameron and knighted her cronies for donating and things, hardly a surprise yon. The one who decides Foreign Aid has been knighted also, sooner they do away with this corrupt system the better imho.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:24   #6
Full Member+

I agree the system is outdated but when the likes of Victoria Beckham are receiving them certainly Ken Dodd is long over due. As for his tax incident he was after all found Not Guilty so it should not have had any bearing on being eligible for an award. I agree the Olympians have had their reward already.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:54   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I've mixed feelings about the Honours system. I notice a lot of sportsmen and women have been honoured for doing well at the Olympics and Wimbledon etc. Surely their reward is the Olympic medal or trophy, so why give a further reward of a gong? And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what? It can't be for being the worst singer in the Spice Girls.
I am like you Michael. I would feel better about the Honours list if the honours were given to the true heroes in this country.
Those who care for people, those who give their time to make a difference to childrens lives, those who do the thankless and often dirty stuff that we rely on.
Sportsmen and women are doing what they love to do, they get good amounts of recognition if they are successful, along with money to compensate them for their so called sacrifices(OK, they may not get money while they are amatuers, but they certainly make up for it once they aren't).
Likewise, the actors and other celebrities aren't exactly doing hard graft...yes they may donate to charity, but they can afford it . My admiration goes to those who have little but give much. It is easy to give when you have a lot of money....and sometimes the giving is done for the wrong reasons...to raise the personal profile of the celeb.
keith higson and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 14:02   #8

Yeah but look who Victoria has had to put up with for years, that on it's own is well worth a knighthood
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 18:36   #9
Full Member+

Well with a face that looks like it would crack if she ever smiled I think it is David who deserves a Knighthood.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 01-01-2017, 18:36   #10

How tickled I am.
Have you ever been tickled Mrs.?
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954
And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what?
You know what OBE stands for. Other B*ggers Efforts.
Rowlf likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 18:45   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seems May has done a Cameron and knighted her cronies for donating and things...
I read (I know, I know, can you believe anything these days?) that these honours were settled months ago when Glossy-Cheeks Cameron was still PM.
Let's see what difference, if any, there is next year if May is still around.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:12   #13
Senior Member+

He was funny don't think he's that funny now... well not all the time...

This is Ken in 1963 with the Beatles and sporting what could be seen as the first punk rocker hair cut.

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 16:49   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
They've finally forgiven him his little tax dodging indiscretions then? You're right though, he deserves it & people have done much worse things
didnt victoria beckham get one

and she sang live

badly

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:25   #15
Full Member+

He might not be as funny now KestrelX but he still packs theatres and he is certainly funnier than the so called comedians of today who seem to think they have to use bad language and obscene talk to get a laugh.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..