Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2009, 22:34   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Ski Slopes In Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Now that I know that, I'll try even harder Bunch of limey wimps ... How many athletes are you guys sending to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver? ... is Eddie the Eagle still around?
No, but Torvill and Dean showed you lot how to skate on ice...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2009, 22:53   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
No, but Torvill and Dean showed you lot how to skate on ice...
Wimp skating It's easy to skate around the rink when no one is trying to maim you

They were probably the only two over there who could skate Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who can't skate Kids start as soon as they can walk. We have hockey teams of 8 yr. old girls who could outskate, outshoot, and outhit any team you guys could put on the ice. More Canadian girls and women play organised hockey than in the rest of the world put together
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 23:10   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wimp skating It's easy to skate around the rink when no one is trying to maim you

Not exactly an Olympic sport though Eric .. which is more on track of the discussion.

They were probably the only two over there who could skate Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who can't skate Kids start as soon as they can walk. We have hockey teams of 8 yr. old girls who could outskate, outshoot, and outhit any team you guys could put on the ice. More Canadian girls and women play organised hockey than in the rest of the world put together

So ? .. bet the Irish could knock us off our feet at curling too.
Gawd .. our kids are injected in the womb with footballs and cricket bats !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 03:00   #79
God Member

Quote:
So ? .. bet the Irish could knock us off our feet at curling too.
Gawd .. our kids are injected in the womb with footballs and cricket bats !!
This is true. Kids over there know what to do with a football. Kids over here know what to do with a puck. Right now, as we speak, Canada's juniors are leading Slovakia 7-1. These kids are just so talented. Within the next couple of years they will all be millionaires playing in the NHL. I still love watching football, but hockey is ... hockey is Canada. Right now (9:50 pm) millions of Canadians are watching our juniors beat the ever living crap out of a Slovakian team which is not all that bad; they just can't handle the talent the Canucks have. So far inthe tournament, Canada has outscored the opposition 29-1. And the only reason the Slovaks got a goal was that Canada was two men short on penalties. Those European refs don't understand the finer points of physical hockey. Anyway, hon, I gotta get back to the game. And I really didn't intend to rattle your cage
Old 30-12-2009, 10:04   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now that I know that, I'll try even harder Bunch of limey wimps ... How many athletes are you guys sending to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver? ... is Eddie the Eagle still around?
Who's in Canada's group in next summers FIFA World Cup in South Africa Eric, it seems to have slipped my mind
Old 30-12-2009, 15:42   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Who's in Canada's group in next summers FIFA World Cup in South Africa Eric, it seems to have slipped my mind
Hey ... we almost made it. And while we are on about it, isn't it about 43 years since England won the World Cup. Canada doesn't win every international hockey championship ... just most of them. Hockey is our game, and we dominate. Football is England's game and ... well ....
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09   #82
God Member

Well Accrington is well and truly covered. Some are abandoning cars on Manchester Road 'cause they can't get up.

The plough has been round though!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:18   #83
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Ok ... salt lowers the melting/freezing point of ice, so distributing salt on the roads means it has to get colder to freeze, but due to the rain fall subsequent to the snow fall, it physically washed all the salt away, meaning when the temperature dropped again ... it froze at a higher temperature ... geddit ??

You are right except that the water on the road without salt does not freeze at a higher temperature but at its normal temperature
Old 02-01-2010, 11:40   #84
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Capt. L.E.G. Oates: I'm just going outside; I may be away some time.
[as he leaves the tent for certain death]
I'm going to do something similar in a minute, if I don't reach the Railway in half an hour send the ST Bernard out with a Watneys Red barrel around it's neck, (yes, I know it was the worst beer in the world, but that would give me the incentive to try harder for the pub).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 13:37   #85
God Member

Quote:

be rest assure if we ever did take up ice hockey as a legitimate sport we wouldnt use wimpy padding that you candadian and american lot like to add to sports, im surprised full body armour wasnt added to basketball when they adopted netball just liek they did with rugby , rounders and hockey infact thinking about it most of teh top sports over the pond are girls games with extra protection

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 13:41   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well Accrington is well and truly covered. Some are abandoning cars on Manchester Road 'cause they can't get up.

will be heading up there myself soon thanx for teh info i will be sure to get a good run up lol although if its been dropping the grit as well it shoudl be ok by the time i head that way

edit:

how did the guy who drives the snow plough get to work i want whatever he drives lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 02-01-2010 at 13:44.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 14:55   #87
Senior Member+

My neighbour has just had to leave his Car halfway up Avenue Parade...certainly no gritter been up here today!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37   #88
God Member

To add to the ski slopes we now have a massive open air ice rink. All Broadway, the path past Wilkinsons and Peel St are sheet ice.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post

You call that a snowplow You call that snow.

It's been snowing steadily, with varying degrees of intensity, for the past two days .... on Saturday we had high winds and temps around -20 (without the windchill) .... the big plows the city runs, along with the sidewalk plows, and hundreds of private contractors with plows on their pickups kept ahead of the storm. By tomorrow, when everyone heads to work, all will be normal. Maybe you folks should learn how to drive.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:46   #90
Senior Member+

Its really totally pathetic isnt it!!...I think we need to be told exactly how much grit/salt is ordered/stocked...and why much more cannot be ordered to get things moving better when we get a particularily severe period!!

Surely we should get more stocks in to get people mobile and make things safe...not ration gritting to preserve stocks!....We can find billions of pounds to help bankers, surely a few quid to help us lesser oiks aint asking too much!!....wonder if there's more supplies down south???

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..