Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2007, 14:55   #1
Resident Waffler

Skip Drive

A notice has just been put through my door:

On Wednesday 31st October a skip will be placed on blah-di-blah.
This is to give you the opportunity to clear unwanted items from your home.
The skip will be delivered on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm and it will be collected promptly to avoid overfilling.

That means it has actually already BEEN delivered and is probably half full by now! Nice idea HBC but it would have been an even nicer idea to have actually been informed of this in advance so that I had time to sort out my junk - but I suppose that would have been too much to hope for.

No doubt if my bin is too full in future they will drag up the fact that they did provide a skip for all the excess junk.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2007, 14:57   #2

Re: Skip Drive

What if someone emptied their rather full and buldging recycle bins into it?
Old 30-10-2007, 15:02   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

Gosh you're lucky, Willow, our local Council doesn't provide skips. The last time I had one it cost me £70.
Old 30-10-2007, 15:03   #4
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
What if someone emptied their rather full and buldging recycle bins into it?

Then they would be rather foolish wouldn't they as the recycling here is collected tomorrow anyway and it doesn't matter how full or 'buldging' the sacks are.

Old 30-10-2007, 15:17   #5
Give, give, give member

I love rooting in skips.

Is there anything good in there?

I might have to make a trip up to Blah-di-blah Road.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 15:44   #6
Resident Waffler

Can't be anything good yet Rindy. I haven't dumped our stuff yet! I'm not naming the location because I don't want the rest of you AccyWebbers filling it before I get down there!

Old 30-10-2007, 16:18   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Can't be anything good yet Rindy. I haven't dumped our stuff yet! I'm not naming the location because I don't want the rest of you AccyWebbers filling it before I get down there!
Filling it!

I'd be doing my Christmas shopping by emptying it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 17:04   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
That means it has actually already BEEN delivered
Am I in a time warp? I thought today was Tuesday 30th October

Sounds like they meant it will be delivered on Wednesday at 2pm not Tuesday.

Is it their yet?
Old 30-10-2007, 17:24   #9
God Member

Last time we had one near us just happened to be when I'd lifted about fifty pavers from our back garden and spent most of the day wheeling them round the front, to then see the skip dropped at the top of the road and I thought aha rather wrecking the car or hiring a skip I will put them in their! Only for it turn into a race between myself and two builders at the top of the road who had been doing a front garden and decided to dump there stuff in as well! Well needless to say I was cream crackered when I finished and had arms similar to an Orang-utan but was happy I had beaten the builders and done it without it going above the fill line. But next morning when the Council came to collect it, what a site it was! must have been fifteen foot above the rim and to top it off somebody had balanced a four foot shed on top of it!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 21:50   #10
white rabbits

Send a free skip over to cleveleys,,i want one soon ,,
Old 30-10-2007, 22:45   #11
God Member

last time they did a skip drop and area clean up near us was just before I was due to have major renovation work done on the house, so I had a massive clear out and planned to get a skip myself...however the week after the clear out the local councillor susan shorrock did a leaflet drop and door knock to make sure everyone was aware it was happening.

I told her it was a great idea but with it being saturday morning when the major clean up was taking place and the skips were due to be collected early pm I was unlikely to get much down to where they were as it would take quite a few car loads.

She asked to see how much and said she would see what she could do..

Saturday comes.... took lads to footy... came back and the whole lot had been cleared...quickly dashed down to where the skips were to see them off loading a van full of my stuff into the skips.

fantastic or what??!!! And before anyone comments on using council vans to move rubbish..it was her own family members who were helping her out with their own transport.

couple of days later radio lancs came round the area to ask what we thought about what had been done but due to me being at work I wasn't there to comment, luckily my friend thanked Mrs shorrock on air for going the extra mile on my behalf

Now thats what I call a hard working councillor

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 22:49   #12
God Member

We could do with a few more like that
Old 31-10-2007, 06:43   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Am I in a time warp? I thought today was Tuesday 30th October

Sounds like they meant it will be delivered on Wednesday at 2pm not Tuesday.

Is it their yet?
I don't think it's a time warp. I took it to mean that they were delivering it yesterday, Tuesday, so that it would be there all day today, Wednesday, and then be collected presumably tomorrow first thing. I haven't been down there to see if it's there because I haven't had time. It's a major excursion from this end to that end. I will be going past later today on my way to town but that will be after 2pm so I've asked Emz to take a look on her way down to school and send me a text.

Old 31-10-2007, 07:27   #14
Resident Waffler

Just got text from Em to say that the skip is not yet there. So much for it being delivered at 2pm yesterday. Maybe the council is in a time warp after all.

Old 31-10-2007, 08:25   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just got text from Em to say that the skip is not yet there. So much for it being delivered at 2pm yesterday. Maybe the council is in a time warp after all.
Looks like they did mean today then Willow .. tough for the workers though isn't it ? Mind you depends what they mean by collecting promptly ! Not a good day anyway .. Halloween,as parents willl be occupied with the children.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..