Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 08:59   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Slave Labour and us!

Quote:
what would happen to their families if the children didnt have jobs at all??
I think that is a point which is often overlooked when people start demanding that the sweatshops be closed down. We don't want them to end up even worse off.

It's also a fine tightrope because if wages were too high then it would upset the balance and the poor without jobs at all would be even poorer by comparison. It's a lot more complicated than it looks on the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Come on BB we all know the education has been taken to these countries plus the free condoms, they just won't use them.
Have you ever wondered why? People in 'these countries' have children as an insurance policy for their old age. They don't get pensions. Their only hope of survival is to be dependant on their children so to them having more children equates with a better chance of them being supported in their old age. Take into account the infant mortality rate too - it's no good trying to tell them that having fewer children can mean that more will survive. Experience through generations tells them different.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 10:50   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I would have said we have our own worries
yeh but youre more diplomatic bernie, i just say it as it is.
Old 20-11-2007, 13:19   #33
God Member

Quote:
WillowHave you ever wondered why? People in 'these countries' have children as an insurance policy for their old age. They don't get pensions. Their only hope of survival is to be dependant on their children so to them having more children equates with a better chance of them being supported in their old age. Take into account the infant mortality rate too - it's no good trying to tell them that having fewer children can mean that more will survive. Experience through generations tells them different.
That may be the reason Willow, I am more inclined to think it will be something to do with religion. Just as Catholics didn't use contraception till relatively recently because their religion forbade it think these people are probably thinking on the same lines!!
Old 20-11-2007, 19:29   #34
God Member

And then there is the bigger picture ... major corporations are moving jobs to third world countries in order to save money not only by paying lower wages but by bypassing all that working class people have fought for: a safe workplace, unemployment insurance, workers compensation, reasonable hours etc. If companies set up shop in a first world country they have to abide by the laws enacted on behallf of workers. So, good paying jobs leave say, Lancashire, and end up as sweat shop jobs in Sri Lanka. The company increases its profits ... to the point where it can easily afford lawyers and Google Page Ranking people to deflect the flack ... the economy in Lancashire suffers (sure there are jobs at McDonald's) and the poor sods overseas work for peanuts, if they are lucky. And of course, the quality controls are iffy. It seems that every day stuff is being recalled because it is not safe ... too much lead in the paint or something (As an aside, my mum must have hated me because she bought me toy soldiers made out of lead ... not just the paint the whole damn toy!)

And what about the shipping of the stuff. Ships no longer are crewed by highly trained seamen. They are registered in Panama and Liberia rather than London or Montreal because England and Canada insist that ships registered in their countries are safe ... they float, their radar works, the Captain is sober and literate, and they don't leak oil whenever they are parked.

Enough ranting for now ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 19:54   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good rant Eric. i am more concerned about many of OUR people,unable to get jobs,
Old 20-11-2007, 21:59   #36

The fact is if you want a shirt for £5, it's been made in the far east by an 8 year old kid who got $1 a week for it. If your happy with that then fine.

If not but you still want to pay peanuts for your clothes then go to Oxfam or any other charity shop.

Otherwise stop bleating and pay a reasonable amount for your togs.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..