Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 19:11   #1
TAZ
Junior Member+

Post sleepwalking

sleepwalking and sleeptalking what's all that about is it in your genes it gets me in so much trouble and i never win a fight?
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2003, 21:07   #2

Post Re: sleepwalking

dop you really want to know about this? don't forget, I work in this field and could rabbit on for hours about it!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 21:16   #3
I am Banned

littlemo how are you on nightmares?
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 23:35   #4

I married one, is that what you mean?!!!! ;D
Old 05-10-2003, 10:18   #5
Senior Member+

I reckon its all to do with the subconscious but am willing to be educated on this subject
Old 05-10-2003, 11:11   #6

I don't really get into analising dreams but can tell you that we dream in all sleep stages. our most vivid is REM, this is when the body goes into a state of paralysis, other wise we would be acting them out! most sleep walking, talking ect occurs in slow wave sleep, which is the deepest stage.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:32   #7
Caz
God Member

Any information on sleep paralysis littlemo?
Why does it seem to happen to some people (me included) on a fairly regular basis?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 20:46   #8

umm cazzer, is it when you wake up in the morning and how long does it last for?
Old 05-10-2003, 21:10   #9
Caz
God Member

No, it's usually in the middle of the night, when I've been asleep quite a while.
Can't move at all, can't talk, but can see. Plus get this scary feeling that something is not quite right, like someone in the house or something like that.
Try to get out of it, but more often than not, cos I'm so tired I fall back asleep.
when I first told my family this they said I dreamt it, until they heard of others with the same thing.

Usually seems to be 5 mins or so.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:38   #10
Jo

A similar thing happens to me regularly Cazzer. I half open my eyes and the shadows and shapes in the room seem like people. Then I realise what's happening and I bolt upright and scream usually. Frighten my hubby to death. After years of this, I began telling myself, after seeing the things or people, "come on Jo, you know they're not really there", then I open my eyes and see they were really there and then I think "God this time it's really true". The dreams have now advanced and I don't see people but I open my my eyes and think I'm dead.
Same process "come on Jo, you're not dead" then I think "Oh, God, this ime I really am".
The other night I got out of bed and went into the living room where my hubby was watching a game of footy (I'd gone to bed early) to ask him (seriously) if I was alive!!!!!
Weird eh?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:54   #11
I am Banned

Jo Cazzer.. Anyone.....Try www.sleepnet.com I ahve had sleep problems all my life and have been diagnosed with everyhting from epilepsy to sleep terrors.

Seems my body and my brain go to sleep at different times

Try the forums on the above site. explain your problems and believe me you will have loads of people from around the world replying wiht exactly the same problems

I last used this site..hmm must be a few years ago now.. so its well established..
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:47   #12
Jo

Great thanks Harry!  
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:26   #13

and do any of you suffer from cataplexy, thats when you can be laughing say and then you just pass out? sleepnet.com is a good one harry, I use that often, but at the end of the day, you should really talk to your doctor. Sleep paralysis can be part of something bigger such as narcolopsy. This would be confirmed by a particular test that would be completed in a sleep lab, well It would over here, I don't know about over there. I think there is a lab at withenshaw hospital I do believe
Old 06-10-2003, 12:31   #14

Cazzer, it usually happens at the end of a REM period which occurs at the end of every sleep cycle which last around 90 mins. so it can happen during the night but is most common first thing in the morning as that is your longest rem period. When in REM, you body is in a state of paralysis, what happens is almost like your mind being awake before your body, and your eyes being open before you finished dreaming. Would that fit the description?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:37   #15
God Member

How do you know you sleepwalk?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..