Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2008, 09:21   #1
God Member

Slow News Day?

Flicking through teh Observer I noticed an article

" A Computer lead valued at £1 was stolen from a Vauxhall Meriva parked in St James Road Church overnight on Saturday"

Goodness me, an article for a theft of £1!!!

It probably cost the observer more for teh time involved in typing, setting and printing those lines!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2008, 10:18   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Slow News Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

" A Computer lead valued at £1 was stolen from a Vauxhall Meriva parked in St James Road Church overnight on Saturday"

It probably cost the observer more for teh time involved in typing, setting and printing those lines!!
Not to worry entwisi, you know what they say no news is good news
Old 19-07-2008, 11:19   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Slow News Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

A theft is a theft no matter what its value and should be reported. So where do you draw the line? At £10, £100, £1,000?

Did the article say how the item was stolen? For instance was a window smashed to get it? Was the door jemmied? If so that ups the value of the theft quite a bit. Or did the car owner forget to lock the car doors?

This article also warns people that there is a thief about.
Old 19-07-2008, 12:16   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
A theft is a theft no matter what its value and should be reported. So where do you draw the line? At £10, £100, £1,000?

Did the article say how the item was stolen? For instance was a window smashed to get it? Was the door jemmied? If so that ups the value of the theft quite a bit. Or did the car owner forget to lock the car doors?

This article also warns people that there is a thief about.
Not wishing to seem pidantic JB but the theft of an article worth £1???????????? and we already know there are theives about, entwisi was just trying to make the point that it was another Observer none store, something they are getting very good at
Old 19-07-2008, 13:28   #5
Senior Member+

shall we start a collection so they can replace it?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 15:16   #6
Give, give, give member

Although very sad for the poor woman's family, I though the headlide story 'pub singer dies abroad' hardly worthy of the front page.

I'm sure I could ferret out a better lead story.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 15:20   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Although very sad for the poor woman's family, I though the headlide story 'pub singer dies abroad' hardly worthy of the front page.

I'm sure I could ferret out a better lead story.
ROFL well done rindy

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 19-07-2008, 15:48   #8
Senior Member+

Iremember one a few years back where apparently thieveS broke into a bakers in Rishton & stole A jam tart
Old 19-07-2008, 15:49   #9
Senior Member+

They have security guards at Nelson £land cos there was so much stuff being stolen...... saddos

Old 19-07-2008, 16:57   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Slow News Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not wishing to seem pidantic JB but the theft of an article worth £1???????????? and we already know there are theives about, entwisi was just trying to make the point that it was another Observer none store, something they are getting very good at
It might be a non-story to you but what about the victim? Spare a thought for the victim. People don’t until they become a victim and then they want the criminal hung, drawn and quartered.

That computer lead could have been integral to the running of that computer and without it the victim was unable to use the computer. Not being able to use the computer the victim wasn’t able to go on-line and missed a major bargain on E-Bay.

The point is it isn’t just the value of the stolen article but the effects of the theft as well.
Old 19-07-2008, 18:20   #11
God Member

what wasnt mentioned is that the £1 computer lead was attatched to a £1000 computer

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:18   #12
Loz

Can't see how this can deemed to be newsworthy!
The Observer is really scrapping the barrel for stories nowadays isn't it?
Old 19-07-2008, 20:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Can't see how this can deemed to be newsworthy!
The Observer is really scrapping the barrel for stories nowadays isn't it?
It's nothing new, Loz.

I remember one article from several years back.

It was about a woman who walked out of the Spar in Ossy with a loaf of bread she hadn't paid for.
Old 19-07-2008, 20:43   #14
Senior Member+

omg!!!

its easy to do tho.....................ty once did a runner out of boots and i chased after him still holding my basket full of baby stuff.... no one stopped me and the alarms werent on..(i did go back and pay!) ive also put stuff on top of the pram when he was little and forgotten about it !

Old 20-07-2008, 10:07   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It might be a non-story to you but what about the victim? Spare a thought for the victim. People don’t until they become a victim and then they want the criminal hung, drawn and quartered.

That computer lead could have been integral to the running of that computer and without it the victim was unable to use the computer. Not being able to use the computer the victim wasn’t able to go on-line and missed a major bargain on E-Bay.

The point is it isn’t just the value of the stolen article but the effects of the theft as well.
Beam me up Scotty, you still think that this storey is news worthy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..